XTA Development discussion - Page 5

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

nobody2u

Post by nobody2u »

Actually theres a spell check function built into Firefox 2.0 :P
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

back on topic, is there any situation where Stumpy/raiders are useful? Ive never seen anyone use them effectively before..
pintle

Post by pintle »

On a flat (ish) map, they are excellent for killing swarms of AA kbots. (i'm speaking from experience in v7). They are ok at running past light defence, and if you are willing to delay a tech 2 lab or some heavier defences for a little bit, they can be useful in "late-early" game (kinda 10 minutes in). The corpses are pretty good to reclaim though, so if you just send them on a damage run then it could do you more harm than good. To be honest i barely ever start as vehicles (disregarding TCP and comet) unless i intend to flash rush.
The only person i have seen using raiders to great effect is teh mighty barto, who (ages ago) used to get about 4 vehic plants on comet and use a mass of mixed vehicles to catch people who where teching up or building defences to stop few, heavy targets.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I saw Stumpies to be useful to shoot over debris and wrecks while the sams, jethros and rockos behind it were unable to.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

The hi trajectory is its best feature in my eyes. We did try increasing the thuds dps and then lowering its turn rate to see if it felt right + get more use from them.

This was way back in the day of the pre-alpha.

The unit itself seemed to become more of a mixture/hybrid of lvl1 + lvl2. The more veriants of the consept we tryed the more lvl2 it felt and the consepts dev for this unit was scrapped.

To date they still are highly effective, especially when facing llt's. Thuds are by no means the most agile of units, they can woddle up frunt lines taking a beating; whilst say your rocko's come in on either sides.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I know thuds etc are the most own l1, but stumpies/raiders seem pretty suck. low dps and high cost. the flash has like 2x the dps and 3/4 the cost, way more speed.. I just cant see the use of them
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

ok if you find some dude called [KnoX]Spawn0fStripe thats me [KnoX]ElementalGizmo. Just a heads up for the vets out there when u got some noobling knoxian bugging u about whats right/wrong....

BetaLord where art thou?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:ok if you find some dude called [KnoX]Spawn0fStripe thats me [KnoX]ElementalGizmo. Just a heads up for the vets out there when u got some noobling knoxian bugging u about whats right/wrong....
Why don't you create [KnoX]Elemental_Gizmo or something of the sort?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

OK, how about these?? Anything wrong with them?

Realy it would be nice if someone wrote some new tips so we could have a few more of these...

aGorm
pintle

Post by pintle »

SHINEH

made

of

win

Seriously Agorm that is really pretty. Ill pester people for some tips to put into teh screens.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I just updated my XTA 8 with tehm they do look well shiny in game aswell...

aGorm
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Agorm, those are AWESOME. pump out like 10 more :-)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well someone write more tips then... :-)

I cant do more without them.

aGorm
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Very nice screens :-) I'd still prefer them without the outer border, because my monitor is a border already... But you are the boss ;-)

A few issues were reported by Colorblind on another thread, maybe they can be fixed before a v8.1 release:

* The arm nuke silo doesn't have a nuke icon.
* The arm and core commander icons are unintelligible.
* I thought aGorm was working on new loadscreens to replace these ones.
* Set the building icons tag "radiusadjust" to 1
* Change the icontype for immobile water units (such as floating metalmakers, etc) from "sea" to "building".

Is there a general todo-list somewhere, where I could add these points, if they aren't already on it ?
mongus

Post by mongus »

.. the water carrier, lvl2 energy ship, has a tag of.. is building or something, bc it stays as a ghost ingame.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

omg i WISH i had graphics like that on my pc, if i did i may never leave this seat! lmao

Very crisp designe aGorm. The pastle colors seem to bring the focus of the eye inwards of thoughes BEAUTIFULL screenies.

If you would be kind enough to email them to me so i can incorperate them into the next release :-)

And no there is not a `TO DO LIST` YET this is because my feet havent toutched the ground for a few days. Ill do some work on them tommo with a full to do list n change log of the development!
pintle

Post by pintle »

spring thinks that carriers are builders at least, didnt know they ghosted. REALLY annoying when cycling through idle builders with ctrl b and you have 5 or so carriers to cycle (they are cheaper than mobile fusions incase you wondered why i spam them).
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

A little work has been done on the icons, not as much as i hoped.Ive just been soooo bussey!
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

1st:
Attacking your enemy
* Always scout your enemy to find out what he is up to, what his defenses are and where you can find week points.
* Artilery is usefull to break down enemy defensive buildings or to back up your army.
* You may want to bring some Anti Aircraft units with your force, just in case, if you don't know for sure if your enemy has planes or not.
2nd:
haaa, i disagree with the strategical advices and don't know what to do with that one. I would just remove it...

3rd:
Defending from your enemies
* The carcasses of destroied units are actually very usefull for you since they will block the paths of the enemy units.
* After a fight, you can reclaim the carcasses or ressurect them and turn some of the force of the enemy into your own.
4th:
A attack of gunships can be a devastating surprise on a unprepared enemy.
5th:
I think that one mught be fine. Although some change to make it not look like anymore like it is saying that that should be the standard way of killing them.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I like the hints the way they are. There are 5 typos in them:

3: "resurrect"
4: "approaching"
5: "at least"
5: "commanders"
5: "commander"

PauloMorfeo's suggestions have quite a few typos too. Do you want to use his, aGorm?

Return to “Game Development”