XTA Development discussion - Page 2

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

Easy there AF, wow!
myg must of changed that last Minuit as i did not change a thing there! Also he changed XTA_V8.0 to just XTA (which i don't understand the reasoning behind at all ?)

Ow and the logo u say? And what exactly is wrong with a bit of flashy stuff to entice the noobs? Thats what it is there for! Its a celebration of TA, its aggressive in your face smoldering glory slamming its way onto your screen.

How do you expect to compete with AA with an logo that is about as enticing as saying GRANDAD.T.A `Zimmer fraims to the ready No.1, QUICK deploy the colostomy bag bombs` HA----HA----HA

No i don't think so some how.

If you wish to use a logo thats got basically an outer glow of white, and an inside color of white, fine. You can make your own mod.

XTA_V8 (or be it XTA at present) was all about bug fixes, calibration, eye-candy and a more Noobling friendly feel; in an effort to expand XTA's playing stats up from 1/5th of that of AA which it stood.

I am by no means stating that the logo is perfect, its just SWEEEEET! I focused most of my time learning about script and reading posts; as the logo was not the main focus, just something i played with.

If you are going to be cocky about this either make your own mod, or next time offer some of your flawless expertise seeming as
(quote) `It reminds me of something I would have done as a preteen in photoshop.`

Its all very well sitting there having a nice big bitch, but you wernt there to help out earlier were you, you didn't offer then! If you don't like the logo its your own fault for not bringing up the subject in the forum to express your views.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

I found the new logos more cool, much more, but of a style very diferent, maybe even not suitable to XTA (or any TA!?). It is the kind of style of logo Doom 3 would have, for example, some game creepy or .. something else.

But i ain't really complaining.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

Look Gizmo, I appreciate the effort you put into this, but it looks like you have some alarming views on XTA.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:How do you expect to compete with AA
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:an effort to expand XTA's playing stats up from 1/5th of that of AA which it stood.
You really shouldn't view XTA as an AA competitor in terms of that kind of statistics. Just keep up its high quality without worrying about its popularity among newbies.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:You can make your own mod.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:If you are going to be cocky about this either make your own mod
I don't think we should divide the XTA community. Choose your words more carefully (and, overall, check your spelling a bit better). And this isn't the right attitude for an XTA maintainer IMHO.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:If you don't like the logo its your own fault for not bringing up the subject in the forum to express your views.
I don't recall you bringing it up either, you just put it in without warning (right?).
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:the logo's just something i played with.
Then don't include it :). It doesn't live up to the high XTA standard.
Myg

Post by Myg »

AF: I will get right onto it, I am the one responsible for those changes.

The logo: I never liked, but Gizmo was the only [KnoX] who was able to work on the mod, cause me and barto were awol for quite a while leaving him the sole person responsible.

I dont blame him for the excessive or lack of style, nor should any of you, but if you have something better, please submit it. Less idle words would be kinder to the effort he put into it.

The idea to name it to XTA: It seemed cleaner and more professional, to have a unified name instead of version 6,7,8 etc... If someone is using the wrong version, the lobby will tell them (red x).If there are any more technical problems that will arise from this, please enlighten me.

colorblind: The view gizmo expressed is not what [KnoX] has always maintained, im sure he lost his cool due to critisizm of all his hard work. I know what that feels like, and im sure he wasnt able to find the right words to express his feelings. I dont excuse what he said, but please know that we arnt aligned to splitting the community we've been trying to keep afloat.

In saying; I did think that it was a very good job done on the Mod, and I congratulated Gizmo on his efforts, but I actually agree; it isnt up to the standard as it should be, it needs more work, indeed and it will get it.

Due to the changes made, and the side-effects which they have caused, it needs a full recall and revamping.

I will remove the download links in the post, once conferring with my fellow Knoxians.

Can whoever is in charge of hosting the unknown file mirror or any other mirrors, please contact me:

Thanks for the feedback.

MSN: krock@gofree.indigo.ie
E-mail: krock@eircom.net
Last edited by Myg on 25 Oct 2006, 14:35, edited 5 times in total.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Re: ...

Post by colorblind »

Myg wrote:im sure he lost his cool due to critisizm of all his hard work.
Yes, his post has that written all over it. I don't really blaim him for it, but I feel a mod maintainer should be above that kind of response. I'm sure he won't do it again :P.

Please put the version number back in. It's less confusing (and not at all less professional).

And for the logo: we don't have to submit a new one, as the old one was better :). Even though it's a matter of taste, it apparently is the consensus. Sorry Gizmo.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

I am not expecting to compete or take over AA. The remark to the XTA being 1/5th of AA was simply to show how much AA is chocking XTA. The noob friendly approach i am trying to put across was simply to encourage more players and Noobs to XTA. We all know how hard it is to get a big game going some days.

As for the notes of the Logo. Please read http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... sc&start=0

I even believe the logo was mentioned on the change log posted in the #XTA channel!

And as for my spelling, I'm sorry. I can only do my best!

I do not wish for a aggro fight between myself or other respectable players, but such `slander` without any constructive criticism will, and did piss me off.

The new logo has been mentioned for some time, and all previous developers have had ample time to investigate more into the matter at hand.

Please feel free to produce your own logo and load screens. This project is for the PLAYERS and certainly not for the glory and gloating of the production team!

Let us leave the bitching here please. Keep this page to constructive criticism and development of balance issues. If you have work to share with the rest of us please post it at the development pages
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... sc&start=0
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I shall do a New logo (I did the last one in about 2 mins, so its not gonna be hard to make somthing better) And I'll make new screen shots and make nice readable tips... Assuming people don't mind me having a try?

And, Whist I agree that the old logo was perhaps a bit plane, this new one is just....... a mess. To say the least.

And you cant read (Dont deny this) the words XTA clearly with all those effects.

I shall return with some new imagry for this. Of course its then all up for debat as to wetehr mines better.... :-)

aGorm

::EDIT:: Soory mate for being arsy with you BTW, Just that I get quite worked up over things like that myself... No hard feelings right?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

PEACE is gd :-)

I ment no offence by replacing your old one!

And as for the font, i love it lmao. But yes its not as clear as i thought it was. On a larger scail its beautifull, shrunk to logo size its not as clear.

Perhaps something more bolder is best suited.

However i am not to sure why you say you can not read the tips, is it the slight burn effect (PSCS2Tool) i added for eyecandy that you dislike?
pintle

Post by pintle »

We should have a discussion in #xta about the load screen tips, and maybe a seperate thread about it. I feel the tips, while useful, were quite specific in some cases (i have dgunned krogoths max 5 times, compared to blasting them with annis and brawlers). Stuff like a warning about zipper rushing, how to use things like maker ai, teh imporance of scouting/radar/sonar, use of high traj would be good.

Oh yeah, and in one of the load pics, it tells you to reclaim metal...... res it instead? I have played many games where people are unaware of ressurrection, or OTA converts didnt realise a FARK could res.

Tbh i think a more conservative, understated logo would be cool, but that is jst my personal preferance. I wait with baited breath for agorm to work his majicks.

P.s. anyone using t1 vehics much in v8? ive been playing with weasels (not like that :P) instead of freakers on the cold place, but find it hard to follow up without my lurverly crashers.

Which reminds me SORT OUT FREAKER'S COST it is just broken atm.

sorry for long rambling post guys
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I think so, that and the green on brown is hard for those colour blind people (Im slightly colur blind and it was making it hard...)

aGorm

::EDIT:: DO you have those tips in a text file, or am I gonna have to re type them? And also... do you have the original screen shots? I may redo them but it would be good to have them.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I am in no way qualified to argue on anything concering art, but I'd like to suggest the hints to always show up in the same corner, so one can adjust his/her eyes faster. Maybe also shorten the hints, since I was only able to read all when playing a map I had not yet calculated paths for.

I uploaded XTA.sdz to unknown-files.net... Can I delete it ? Let's see...
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

I believe i do still have the pictures i used. aGorm ill see what i can do about posting them to you tommo.

+1 for the tips being static! (cough, NAPKIN; cough.)

Perhaps a radial blur consept (as in AA) could be used, i only just thought of that :oops:

IF aGorm pulls this if for us myg + I can concentrait more on the mod, so the next update will be sooner and better as we can focus more energy on it.

Who can conplain about that! :P

(still think the metalic finish on my crown rules though 8) hehe)

::EDIT::
And no i do not have the tips on TXT file, soz.It will only take you 3 min tops anyways dude!
Last edited by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo on 25 Oct 2006, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

why were snipers nerfed VS commanders? I thought they were meant for sneaky tactics and assination :(
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

You like the idea of 2 clocked snipers poping up in the open + blasting your commy to tiny, tiny, tiny peaces?

Ive seen some rather distaistfull reactions from this in my time roflmao.

This way your comm is going to take quite a beating if cought out by this sneaky tacktick. But the chances of taking him down are now less, and if successfull your gunna have to buy more snipers!

All OTA players find the commy far weaker than OTA. This way its a little more fair on all of us.

How do you all feal about the spidar's ? 1)Do they feez to quickly?
2)And is the color BLUE more to your liking?
pintle

Post by pintle »

sniper nerf is BAD, very very very very bad.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the sniper is DESIGNED for sneaky stuff like comm headshots. I Liked the vunerble comm, it means that he has to be defended rather than d-gunning incoming attack waves. how do you attack a defense line with a comm in the middle who just d-guns your tanks as they come into range? the idea of the sniper is to discourage one uber unit at the front mashing everything. its difficult to kill a skilled opponents comm with snipers as no skilled commander leaves their comm at the front, most comms reside in bases after the first push, so assisination requires mass skill. if you lose your com to snipers and whine, why? legitimate strat!1

edit: when is the Can going to be buffed? atm it is overpriced for its abilties.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Saying 'make your own mod' is the worst point ever. You're making this mod for the community, right? Also we are giving you input because we have played XTA for a really long time (remember when there was no AA version for spring? no? ok :P)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Gah, I forgot I was out tonight, I will have to work on thgis tommorow.

aGorm
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

lol i asked MANNY `vets` what they thought of my logo, and they all liked it. I explained my reaction earlyer and so did aGorm, please leave it at that.
IMSabbel

Re: ...

Post by IMSabbel »

Myg wrote: The idea to name it to XTA: It seemed cleaner and more professional, to have a unified name instead of version 6,7,8 etc... If someone is using the wrong version, the lobby will tell them (red x).
Thats no argument at all.
Want to know why?
It shouldnt look unified because it ISNT unified.
Just like you dont want 10 maps with the same name flying around, you sure as hell dont want "guess who has the wrong version" games with the mod version.
How do you think it will be when there is 8.1 and 8.2 out, for example?
Do you provide telephatic upgrades for people who cannot join so they can guess whether their version is too old or too new?

Return to “Game Development”