Someone Wanna help me finish this unit?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Keithus

Post by Keithus »

First time posting.......Dont flame me too much yet......

Yea, I know there are tons of resouces out there for making units but I always found that something is missing and I cant use the guide to figure it out even if i try to mix a whole heap of quides, I guess i am just dumb.

*NOTE* NOOBS arent allowed to post URLs and stuff (so I cant post any url's) but if you wanna have a look and see if your interested in giving me some help just go to photo bucket and look up "keithius" *note* the extra "i" in the name slightly different from my furom name. (Please dont ban me for this MR moderators as these are my workings from wings3d and arent spam).

Anyhow this is the Unit I was hoping someone would want to help me finish. Its just a model at this point. I like to think of myself as creative but I aint too great for figuring out the technical stuff for a start. This is my second model EVER so dont flame me too much yet. I was thinking bout using the orcons walking script Etc.

*Note* not sure how many poly's a unit should have, this one has 1250 polys and is 250kb...

Once this unit is completed I will use every little detail in script and ETC to help me make more Units. Also once I am more experienced I plan to join a team to help create more spring mods.

Not sure how I will send to the file to anyone as I dont have any sharing programs and i dont think any websites want to host an unfinished unit. Would be good if someone told me where to send this so that other people have access to it. If noone can think of a site that will host this I can just send it straight to their email.

Cheers and dont flame the noob.
:oops:
Das Bruce

Re: Someone Wanna help me finish this unit?

Post by Das Bruce »

If its 1250 polygons and 250kb then you've seriously fucked something up.

Email it, dasbruce(at)gmail(dot)com.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You do know that replacing @ with (at) and such does not stop spambots?
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Private Messages FTW!
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Sent, hopefully you'll be able to tell me whats wrong, and I dont understand if you mean 250kb is too small or large for a 1250 poly unit. Anyhow next time you check your email it should be there.

Forgot to mention that the axis on the unit are all screwed up at the moment for viewing cause I tried to move it around so it would appear the right way up in upspring which I should mention I had semi figured out when i managed to delete all of my work in it trying to undo something. :x There isnt anything as annoying as trying to get all the movement points in the right spot and then deleting a hours work...............And not being able to find an undo/redo option.

EXTREME frustration but other than that cheers :P
Argh

Post by Argh »

erm... it'd be nice to see a screenshot, so that we know whether it's worth saving first ;)
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It was a nice concept but needed a thorough do over. Spheres are a bad starting point for models.

Before/after, note I didn't redo the guns/head because I suck at heads and I was unsure of the gun design.

Still needs work but its late.

Here if someone else wants to tinker.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

That's 2500 tris at least... bit too much
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

cool model though
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Thats really nice, actually.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

rattle wrote:That's 2500 tris at least... bit too much
His one was about 3300, my one was about 1600, and its not done yet.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Oh I haven't seen his yet.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Das Bruce has really made a nice Redo of it, I am still pretty cluless to modelling and I didnt realise the polys were that high.

I'd love to get a unit like this ingame just so I can look at how everything is done. I'm more hands on then most tutorials can offer. :P

Also Das your right about being unsure of the guns, I look at them now and see ugly blobs attached to the arms. I was kinda hoping to make the unit a sort of giant peewee/AK, something with twice the peewee/AK's range and about 4 times the firepower whilst still being fairly mobile. Something like a lvl2 swarm trooper.

Thanks again for the help Das Bruce.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Eh? This doesn't fit in TA.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Yeah it doesnt fit in TA and its not something I intended to fit into TA, its too rounded and looks more like an anime design but it is something that I want to have ingame to mess around with for some other ideas, I made the model for the sake of getting used to modelling with wings and I want to put it into Ta to get a grip of hows things work.
Dont get me wrong this isnt a unit I want to be in TA for people to use, this is nothing other than something for me to learn from. I want it to to be a bigger version of a AK/peewee as thats something I would like to do in the distant future once I know how to do what I need to do. Its nothing other than a mini tuturial type thingie I am doing for myself using the expertise of others.

The model itself can be leeched by someone IF they want it for something and If Das Bruce doesnt want it first cause he really is the one who put all the effort into it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It might fight in a totally remodeled TA however.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Return to “Game Development”