1st person shooter mod. - Page 2

1st person shooter mod.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Spring is an RTS engine, not an FPS engine. There are plenty of FPS projects out there.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Seriously.. go play in FPS mode alot.. you will immediately notice the serious serious drawbacks and limitations.. and realize its simply a bit a fun gimick that has not really been developed..

I would seriously hope the devs continue to add more RTS functionality rather than branching off into FPS realms to detriment of both RTS and FPS..
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Sauerbraten is a good open-source FPS that's out there...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

That's german for marinated beef... ugh.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

lol...it's an amazing engine, lets you edit maps ingame.
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

Fanger wrote:Seriously.. go play in FPS mode alot.. you will immediately notice the serious serious drawbacks and limitations.. and realize its simply a bit a fun gimick that has not really been developed..
...which is why it would be a good thing if it were developed ;)
Fanger wrote:I would seriously hope the devs continue to add more RTS functionality rather than branching off into FPS realms to detriment of both RTS and FPS..
its not 'to the detriment' of anything if it brings in new people who add their contributions - which is entirely possible...I mean, we have the thread-starter here who clearly wants to do something with it - that's a start 8)
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

No.. the neccessary framework is not even remotely in place.. and they still havent tweaked all the RTS stuff to be as good as it could..

starting work on a FPS thing is made of fail and you know it...
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Spring is an RTS engine, not an FPS engine. There are plenty of FPS projects out there.
+1, trying it with spring is just foolish IMO...
Take your pick from the free shooters:

Cube
Nexuiz
Quake 1-3

or use a free game engine:

Crystal Space
Nebula Device
... or any of the other zillion game engines out there
Mecha Sonic

Post by Mecha Sonic »

A few things I'd like added to the FPS system:

Make it so pressing the arrow keys moves your unit in that direction, not turn it in a circle and then press Up to move foward.

Add a jump ability using the space bar.

^after that, make a single unit mod where the unit runs around super fast with fast accel, aiming, etc. and you got yourself an Unreal Tournament mod yay! However, maps would need to have items laying around and your unit would have to respawn...
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

or better yet Mecha you could...

GO PLAY UNREAL!!!! really why would u want that on this engine when the Unreal engine does it so much better :?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

jcnossen wrote:
+1, trying it with spring is just foolish IMO...
Take your pick from the free shooters:

Cube
Nexuiz
Quake 1-3

or use a free game engine:

Crystal Space
Nebula Device
... or any of the other zillion game engines out there
That being said, the OSS FPS engines are pretty limited - I mean, they're all conventional FPS games. No vehicles, no physics beyond bouncing grenades, etc. There is no OSS mech combat, or tank combat (unless you count BZFlag, which I don't). Sauer/cube gets a pass because it was built from scratch so it's very existence is as impressive as Spring's - but those Q2/Q3 based engines haven't really gotten much further than just polishing-up and remaking their source game.
Mecha Sonic

Post by Mecha Sonic »

j5mello wrote:really why would u want that on this engine when the Unreal engine does it so much better :?
Um, cuz I'd have to buy it. And my old puter couldn't handle it. If it was on Spring it would be much less demanding on comp resources. Besides, I like War Evolution, why wouldn't I like a half-capacity UT mod?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

UT 2004 can't more than $20, so don't complain about price. The older ones (which probably cost next to nothing) won't be that bad to run. If you can run Spring u can run them.

Look at the top of this site. Read the little blurb in the upper right. See what is says? "TA Spring is a project aiming to create a new RTS." The devs are trying to make the next great RTS. The FPS ability is a gimmick (a great one don't get me wrong), it's not something they plan on expanding all that much.

Honestly, he can do what he wants with his time, but i doubt the devs are gonna put much time into major improvements on the FPS side of things.
eddy

indeed

Post by eddy »

rattle wrote:There already are mods with good looking and well animated human models. Just take a look at SWTA or GINTA thread

cool, just like in quake2. :lol:

edit: quake1 <-
Last edited by eddy on 04 Oct 2006, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

...however making arms and weapons and stuff appear in the first person camera may need some rework. :P
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

I want to be able to fight among my troops and command them in battle, I'm not looking for half-life 2 or guns in the corner of my screen. I just want friendlier controls and a more intuitive fps interface.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I have supported enhanced FPS controls for as long as this project was around.

It's a nice gimmick and would offer alot more options to the Spring engine.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Its disappointing to see this lack of vision, especially among modders.

Arguing that the "graphics for RTS just aren't suitable for FPS" is a poor excuse.

"Omg if u liek FPS than play counterstrike" is even worse.

There will come a time in the future, where AAA titles of this hybrid genre of RTS/FPS will emerge; in fact, it has been already been done, just based on FPS engines.

They will kick ass, and we'd be lamenting that Spring's FPS element was never developed further.

Battlezone 1&2 is arguably the first FPS game that included RTS elements (resourcing, base-building) in it.

Savage is another FPS/TPS that had a mix of the two, not to mention the numerous RPS/FPS hybrid mods for Half-Life 2, such as Empires Mod, Iron Grip, and the famous Natural Selection mod for HL1.

The development for commercial graphics engines and computer systems have accelerated recently, to support next-gen games.

As a result, RTS/FPS hybrid games will be very possible, with decent graphics to match.

In short, Spring won't go wrong, if the FPS/TPS element is further developed once the RTS element is done. It will be the first standalone RTS engine to incorporate proper FPS elements, and give modders more creative leeway, game design-wise.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

really, all that would be required to make the fps mode more entertaining is render the unit you are driving ie: so if from your viewpoint you can see the guns poke foward, they should be rendered, and looking down should show part of the hull. then it would be a little more authentic
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

The reason some of us modders dont have any "vision" when it comes to fiddling with the FPS system is a priority issuse.. you dont add a bell onto your bike when the tires are flat its not useful, yeah it might be useful when you can use the bike again but right now waste of time..

If the devs take the time to go fiddle with FPS mode then they are not working on adding features that will make playing normally more smooth. AT the moment there are alot of things that could much better benefit modding beyond a little quirky FPS system.. they could for instance work on:

-Making aircraft work smoother especially bombers and adding conventional runway takeoff aircaft

-Implement unit limits and population limits for those people who might utilize them in their mod

-Implement better formation setup and control

-vastly improve transports both in function and in load/unload time

-Make it possible to add additional reasource types to allow more than 2 resources and allow mods to expand in that direction

I could go on, each of those is IMO more important than fiddling with the FPS system which is passible for now

Return to “Game Development”