powerplant building idea - Page 3

powerplant building idea

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I remember seeing someone online getting it to work... if was only hot enough to start fires... which owuld be hot enough to light sales and such

... now I need to find the link.

edit: found it... http://www.solardeathray.com/ is this site a fake?
Erom

Post by Erom »

A friend of mine (also MIT connected) once used a giant frenel lense to burn stuff into lawns. It was hot enough to cook the grass to a nice brown, but it took ages to actually set it on fire. It would be nearly impossible to set something thin like a sail that had fluid cooling on both sides from the wind on fire.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TANGENT:

I had this idea for a real would invention, basically we set up a grid of fiber-optic repeaters that would take sunlight from one side of the world and send it to the other side of the world, after the enormouse inicial costs to set it up, you could have sunligh-lighting available everywhere on the planet at once.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Repeaters read the incoming signal and send their own, I don't think that'd work.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Well... repeaters isn't the word I'm looking for... but I think your right it wouldn't work...
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

esteroth12 wrote:in the retest, people were challenged to get it to work... and some people from MIT almost got it, it just burned it too slowly to be a feasable weapon
The MIT Test.

It was, in fact, viable, but was heavily dependent on weather conditions. I think Boston is slightly farther north than Greece, so Archimedes would have had stronger sunlight. Also note that Archimedes did not actually have to set the ships on fire. "Serious smoke" from no obvious source would probably have been enough to panic the sailors. Still, within ten minutes of good sunlight, five people working with about a hundred mirrors managed to create an open flame. Assuming Archimedes had a few dozen Greek troops at his disposal to move mirrors around and an entire harbour to work with, he'd easily have been able to obtain similar results.

They also ran a test with the Mythbusters in which they obtained similar results.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Honestly the most valuable effect here would be to entirely blind everyone on the ships... that plus smoke, plus, if the suns right, proper open flame... especially if you get lucky and hit a keg of lamp oil or something...
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Or one of the very flammable projectiles used to attack other ships and set them on fire...
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

or you could shoot an arrow with a burning rag doused in oil on it... :\
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

esteroth12 wrote:or you could shoot an arrow with a burning rag doused in oil on it... :\
Ah, but everyone used that. Not everyone had an Archimedes who could make your ships smoke and set them on fire with light.
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

um... yes...

now, to de-derail this thread...

maybe you could hack an aquatic structure to be built on land... then you could use the tide strength, too
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

i if u put tidalgenerator=1 into the fbi of a unit it will make the map specified amount of energy whether or not its in the water
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

then you lied earlier! :P
but cool, no hacks needed...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

What if you developed a unit that took the wind energy production value and multipled it by the tidal to find the true energy production and simulate microwave transmitted energy?
Targon

Post by Targon »

Is it possible to have a unit's DPS dependant on windspeed or tidal strength?
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

you can if you can get the windspeed/tidal strength, and through script speed up/lessen the rate of fire... but I dunno if it is possible to call the windspeed/tidalstrength directly
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Hmmm... Sounds interesting.. The battlefield can aid or harm one side...

I like that idea, a lot!
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

from what smoth said:
tidal cannot be pulled in as its just a fbi tag and doesn't interact with the script at all.

Wind speed can handled in the script and as such u can fiddle with that though don't ask me how
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Wind output is controlled by a multiplier in the unit file, although I'm not sure if Spring uses this sytem or just checks for the wind multiplier tag and gives the default amount of energy.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Apropos script interaction, how does a script know the wind strength and the metal it's extracting? Or is that unknown under Spring and you just use random turn rates?

Return to “Game Development”