XTA - Page 2

XTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:PauloMorfeo------------I woldn't change the range, by no means, but i would prefer if the pop's wouldn't waste everything that is within range so quickly (if one of your factories hapens to come under fire by a pop, it's a sure gonner).

well, some discution has gon on about the accuracy of the popup. Its health and range dosent seem to be the question but perhaps its accuracy.This should keep most peeps happy, however this is not the priority as of yet.

Im not toaly convinced the popup should be narfed, however it is very powerfull if used strategically with a jammer whilst being built.(As GamesMaster would know!)

If anny of u out there have opinions about this plz leave a post. The more interest a change has to you the community, the more chance it has to change.
Let's wait until the version after this. Pop-ups are too important to change lightly. It's not too much to expect a player to control the area around his base to prevent artillery from being built there.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

I think that, to keep the differentiation between the popup and other cannons, the popup's extreme accuracy should remain.

Possibly a decrease in the rate of fire or damage. I think its ideal role is for putting on top of mountains and using it as a support unit for invading stuff, and a slight decrease in damage per second would preserve that role while making it balanced
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

ow and zenka, every little helps, new textures would be nice.

And colorBlind we still have no news from u, plz get in contact :twisted:
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

The spidars are about fixed! A nice dark blue lazer, health at 1200,rang is same, attack verses air -30%

Massive thanks to NAURUS for his awsome help on this, but now Barto and I got to confige the -30% on all aircraft so i got some work to do lol. As
[DAMAGE]
{
default=130;
VTOL=43;

doesnt seem to work.

Also expet a BLUE working emp by next friday, if my moving doesnt slow the updats. The effect also complements to NAURUS. WE should also be including the flacker effect, which im confident you all shall LOVE! :o
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

I got custom unit icons working in XTA with the dev version.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... 7&start=84

Will XTA have custom icons in the next release?
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

default=130;
VTOL=43; = did u make ur own armor tag, otherwise this will not work
LandAir=43; // try this instead, look at the armor.txt on ur parent folder of the mod,
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

SPidars are now fixed!
}
[ARM_PARALYZER]
{
ID=29;
name=E.M.G.;
rendertype=4;
lineofsight=1;
turret=1;
beamlaser=1;
beamtime=0.1;
paralyzer=1;
color=144;
color2=217;
range=280;
reloadtime=0.1;
weapontimer=1;
weaponvelocity=500;
sprayangle=1024;
areaofeffect=8;
burst=1;
burstrate=0.1;
soundstart=armsml2;
soundhit=lasrhit1;
soundtrigger=1;
tolerance=3000;
startsmoke=0;
endsmoke=0;
explosiongaf=fx;
waterexplosiongaf=fx;
waterexplosionart=h2oboom1;
lavaexplosiongaf=fx;
lavaexplosionart=lavasplashsm;
guidance=1;
[DAMAGE]
{
default=130;
ARMTHUND=43;
ARMSEHAK=43;
ARMPNIX=43;
ARMPEEP=43;
ARMHAWK=43;
ARMATLAS=43;
ARMFIG=43;
ARMACA=43;
ARMCA=43;
ARMLANCE=43;
ARMSEAP=43;
ARMAWAC=43;
ARMCSA=43;
ARMBRAWL=43;
ARMSFIG=43; //level1and2
CORVAMP=43;
CORTITAN=43;
CORSFIG=43;
CORSEAP=43;
CORHURC=43;
CORCA=43;
CORCSA=43;
CORAWAC=43;
CORACA=43;
CORFINK=43;
CORSHAD=43;
CORVALK=43;
CORVENG=43;
CORHUNT=43; //LEVEL1AND2
}
}

AND ITS BLUE! Plz note that vs air the lazer is about 1/3rd and seems to ballance things quite well, but fine tuning is being worked on.
---------------Also currantly working on a better flak effect, complements to Naurus. They always looked like a `poof` insted of a `Ka-PLOW` (my elegant english there) So im kinda leaning away from the emp atm. Barto is soon to take over this task.

Radar `unit icon`:
We are not confinced that the Radar should be 100% accurate in the form that each unit has an specific icon. If we keep the icons to a generalisation, ie tanks level1+ 2, kbots level 1+2 cont..(to keep some supprise) But adding a Commy icon, BB, Anni, DDM, SILO, well all the UBER weapons. This is however a simple consept we have, nothing set in stone, expect this to change at some point.
Updates as we continue.. :shock: ..
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Could the Brawler/Rapier's explosion size/damage be reduced? I attacked with 40 of them, and the one flakker that they came near to caused a huge chain reaction...and severely pissed me off.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think that's the point, swarms of gunships are too effective otherwise.
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

Reducing the popups rate of fire would be the perfect solution. I don't like the idea of nerfing it through innacuracy.
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

What would happen if we just increased the height of bombers? Would it help decrease obsessive porcing?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The problem with bombers is that they are dumb when it comes to dropping the bombs, they just drop 'em the moment they are within weapon range, they don't care where the bombs come down after that. You need to recalculate the range they need so the bombs hit the target if you let them fly higher.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Molloy wrote:Reducing the popups rate of fire would be the perfect solution. I don't like the idea of nerfing it through innacuracy.
If pop-ups get nerfed, I expect more porcing. Weaker artillery makes control of territory less important.

EXAMPLE: Artillery on the hill can't reach/hurt you. Feel free to play sim city with your base.

COUNTEREXAMPLE: Artillery on the hill can hit and hurt you, you must control the hill to win. You expand.

Increasing resource costs would mean that a player with a pop-up has less of everything else, which might be better, but again, balancing should be done with a lot of caution.

So pop-ups own on small maps. This is not a problem, skilled players will take it into account and try to use pop-ups and prevent their opponents from using pop-ups.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Ok peeps, i need feedback here. Here is the change log as of to date.

New Flak effect thanks to NORUAS

- Tone down spiders

(1700-1200hp)
+ (-30% VTOL attack

- [ARM_PARALYZER]

+ color=30; to color=144;
color2=234 to color=217;

+ changed
[DAMAGE]
{
default=130;
ARMTHUND=43;
ARMSEHAK=43;
ARMPNIX=43;
ARMPEEP=43;
ARMHAWK=43;
ARMATLAS=43;
ARMFIG=43;
ARMACA=43;
ARMCA=43;
ARMLANCE=43;
ARMSEAP=43;
ARMAWAC=43;
ARMCSA=43;
ARMBRAWL=43;
ARMSFIG=43; //level1and2
CORVAMP=43;
CORTITAN=43;
CORSFIG=43;
CORSEAP=43;
CORHURC=43;
CORCA=43;
CORCSA=43;
CORAWAC=43;
CORACA=43;
CORFINK=43;
CORSHAD=43;
CORVALK=43;
CORVENG=43;
CORHUNT=43; //LEVEL1AND2
//bigups to NORUAS

- Up Bombers

(+200 lvl1 /lvl2) Bombers

- Less HP for gunships

ARM: (MaxDamage=1250-900)
CORE: (MaxDamage=1300-950)

- Pyros weaker
(MaxDamage=2240-1950)

- lvl 2 Bombers secondary fixed

- [NUCLEAR_MISSILE]

+ Changed areaofeffect=1000; - areaofeffect=1700;
+ Changed [DAMAGE] COMMANDER=2700 to COMMANDER=1200;

- [CORE_MORT]

+ Changed [DAMAGE] Default=55; to Default=87;
+ changed Energy=2865 to 3165
+ changed Metal=321 to 550

- [ARMRL_MISSILE]-----------aa narf thanks to myg

+ Changed [DAMAGE] Default=53; to Default=36;

- [CORRL_MISSLE]

+ Changed [DAMAGE] Default=52; to Default=35;

- [ARMTRUCK_MISSILE]

+ Changed [DAMAGE] Default=45; to Default=36;
+ Changed [DAMAGE] ARMBRAW=109; to ARMBRAW=122;

- [CORTRUCK_MISSLE]

+ Changed [DAMAGE] Default=46; to Default=35;
+ Changed [DAMAGE] ARMBRAW=110; to Default=120;

- [ARMSNIPE_WEAPON]

+ Changed reloadtime=12; to reloadtime=14;

- [ARM_ZIPPER]---------------------****D-Gun range****

+ Changed range=315; to range=240;

- [CORFAST_WEAPON]

+ Changed range=300; to range=240;

We are not confident that the changes to vtol units are needed.The changes myg propose's are to make the Brawler a more hit and run unit than a heavy frunt attacking force. And the bomber to be more susstainable to flak. This is a BIG change and we want to know exactly what u feel about this. The popups are not to moded!
I olso done 13 icons for the next next release in about 3 months when the updated engine is out.FoeOfTheBee has said he will give us a pic on the dev vertion ;)

What say you, peeps of XTA?? :!:
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Hight of bomber have been increased, as for gun ships i need to speak with myg about.I shall post when i have an answere.
mongus

Post by mongus »

wow...

huge changelog.

having tested some of the changes, thanks to you knox guys,

actually its too many changes to be able to tell.

Im for small changes, then testing, then more changes to fit.

but we need a working official version for that.

Things could use change imho:

crashers

Spiders (not the way you proposed)

Popup

maybe something else. metioned in this thread, but that is the base.

we may discuss in which way to change that stuff in here, but first agree on the units to change. (that what i think)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

make morties useful
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

13 icons? Isn't that a bit too much? And don't be shy, share them with the world!
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

I think brawlers don't need any nerfing. As for the rest, let's see a release and try it out.

I think XTA really is a better mod than AA, but obviously it isn't better enough to compensate for the lack of games available.

XTA is slowly dying. Little by little, it gets harder to find a game. So something has to be done to make it more popular. Nerfing Jethros and zippers is a good first step, but I think it will take more than balance changes to keep XTA alive.

Some ideas:

-A campaign, or even just a mission or two. (check out http://taspring.clan-sy.com/doxygen/d9/ ... ource.html although I seem to recall that there were problems with luabind)

-A new race.

-Shiny new graphics effects.

-Big mean-looking robots that are only practical on a map like Speedmetal.

-All XTA players making an effort to host a few (2? 3?) games every day.

I think XTA has better play and a better mod concept, and the XTA community is really nice, but we really need to do something to achieve critical mass so that new players can find XTA games and the mod can survive.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

-Big mean-looking robots that are only practical on a map like Speedmetal.
Not another AA *cough*

The rocket artillery mech however could use an overhaul I think, it's very skinny for the punch it delivers...

Return to “Game Development”