The AA deflector shield discussion - Page 3

The AA deflector shield discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Zoombie wrote:I'm pro 'bouny' sheilds. Unless we can somehow we can have 'dynamic shelds' that can ripple when hit. Like dynamic water?
Dynamic water works as heightmap if im right. So there is difference, and cant be just implemented by copying code...
Making elastic shield which starts ripple would be really slow to animate.

It would be okay if the shield would have same 'ring effect' which comes from explosions, but mapped on the shield surface.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

Just a quick sheild question...

If one builds two sheilds close together, will that result in a more effective shild? So that the first shield takes all damage, and when that failes, the secound takes over?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

2 shields close together will act as 2 different shields .. so first shield 1 is cracked after that shield 2.

An stop with this water effect for shield that's just stupid. We only need a nice texture mapped at the impact place on the shield.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I liked the way shields were before, able to pretty much stop all bertha rounds infinately as long as you had juice.

It felt more balenced when any siege on a shielded area burned you enrite Energy economy to zip squat, as you burnt energy at that rate your Moho Metal-makers would shut off, some weapons would stop firing and everything you were building would slow down.

Its a small price to pay, but at least your base would survive.

Set shields to have a rapid recharge, but make the costs for recharge and sustained deflections eat your global economy harder than before.

Honestly, now that bomb strikes can be sucessful against a shield, there is no reason it can't be as strong as it was in 1.48-1.5.

Understand, if your global economy is being drained, that means there is also less power available to recharge the shields.

Another "if possible" suggestion would be let the shield recharge at a relative speed according to how much energy you have in storage.

If your Energy storage is 90% of maximum, then shields would recharge at 90% their max speed, if your economy is suffering it reflects how much is diverted into the shield rechage speed.

Global economy should have a higher influence on the strength of the shield.

IMO, 1 shield with a fair economy should indefinately stop 1 bertha.

Once there are more bertha than there are shields, it should eat the capacitors at a good rate.

Bouncy shields are the best option as well I think, if a shield is in a recharge state at all its going to kill shots, bouncy shots could still push through a weak shield or land close enough to do some damage giving it a more dynamic feel.
Eaglebird

Post by Eaglebird »

MR.D wrote:That big paragraph
Sums my feelings up nicely.
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Nice post Mr. D! I agree most points

I don't know if this is possible from modside, but a recharge switch would be great ... so let's say i can set the shield on 25%/50%/75%/100% power. This setting should

a) only affect recharge speed
b) affect recharge speed and shield power
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ok, I think I've thought of a compromise that should suit everyone. Look for it in the next version.
kujeger

Post by kujeger »

Spectre wrote:hmm you are right.. http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3491 (DIVX)
I just tested, and 3 buzzsaws take out 48 shields with unlimited power. Wowza.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

TradeMark wrote:It would be okay if the shield would have same 'ring effect' which comes from explosions, but mapped on the shield surface.
That could work.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

kujeger wrote:I just tested, and 3 buzzsaws take out 48 shields with unlimited power. Wowza.
Which is more expensive?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

48 shields = 7000 * 48 metal = 336000 metal
energyconsumption of 48 loading shields = approx. 25.000 energy per second

now guess :)
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

I think 1 shield should be taken out by one big berta. But this should only happen in a much longer time period.
It should also block more weapons to get it worth building.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

it blocks plasma weapons (or did anyway, i only used it in test games)
so thats guardians, bertha shells, fidos gauss, mav guns, and the fatboy's weapon (i'm guessing)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Dr.InfernO wrote:I think 1 shield should be taken out by one big berta. But this should only happen in a much longer time period.
Huh? one big bertha bullet? Then i will never build shields o_O
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

I would even go so far and say the shield should block everything .. as you can get the shield down currently and inside shield there is no blocking anymore and bombers can fly inside blocking of all weapons would be no unbalanced behaviour.

EDIT: Trademark read the whole thread. It's not ONE bullet
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Personaly, I am against slow repulsion, as it makes the sheild useless for placing at your main defensive lines.
Last edited by FireCrack on 18 Jun 2006, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

by bouncy I mean teh shots bounce off, not they get slowed down and pushed away like repulsers.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

^that i'm okay with.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I was never a big fan of shields, but I decided to see what the hoopla was in this 5v5 I just played.

To make a long story short, shields are bloody disappointing, and I eagerly await Caydr's replacement. However, they did allow my team to trun a losing game into a losing two hour game.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I thought they were cool.

Return to “Game Development”