Forgotten Chronicles - Mod in Developement - Page 14

Forgotten Chronicles - Mod in Developement

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Thanks, I feed on criticism like a vampire feeds on blood,
Please, somebody say something, it makes "working" unbearably boring with nobody saying something... Anyhow, I am going to see if I can make some unit in the game, I have been stalled for the past 3-4 days :(
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I am looking forward to what you can produce.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Haha, thats zoombie for ya. Thanks.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, hey... I've been watching you try to get this off the ground for awhile, and you really obviously want to make a mod.

That's great. It's super. We all support you :-)

So... hey... start simple. Get some units from UnitUniverse and make a mod. Just something that, you know... works. That will give you the skills and confidence that you'll need to make something nicer. I think that at least 90% of why people like you dont' get anywhere with their mod ideas... is because they attempt to do something too hard, too fast.

The first versions of NanoBlobs used a Commander model (the Lord), an Arm Construction Kbot (Sheep), the Zipper (my first Wolf), a Sumo (the Rook) and of course the Zeus as the Knight, the Krogoth as the Demon, and my special version of the Bantha as the Overlord. All just ripped straight out've XTA, with the exception of the Bantha (which I had from an older mod I made a long time ago). It wasn't uber-complicated, it all worked just fine, and it allowed me to test gameplay out. In my opinion, that's what you should do for awhile, so that you can work out gameplay ideas.

I just feel like you need to work on general concepts and release some early gameplay builds. Thus far, you're getting stuck on modeling and other things, but I don't ever get the impression you even know what gameplay you're really after- or whether it'll be interesting. Get gameplay working... then worry about the fancy stuff. Trust me, it works!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Disregard this post...
Last edited by Snipawolf on 09 Oct 2006, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
mualjtaulur

Post by mualjtaulur »

Notepad can handle .tdf and .fbi
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Damn notepad, its holding out on me then :wink:
PK Maximoo

Post by PK Maximoo »

You will need to manually set the file extensions. fbi and tdf files are plain text files; the ONLY difference between them and a txt file is the filename.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Never mind this post
Last edited by Snipawolf on 09 Oct 2006, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

"failed to find smokeunit.h" should mean that you defined a header file that didn't exist, not that you didn't define it... It wouldn't know what header you forgot if you never included it (right? i don't write scripts, so... I am not your most reliable resource) I would make sure that you should've defined that first
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I'll just tinker around with it..
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Meh, I made this on the other computer.. Looks kinda like a warthog..

Edit: I believe I shall add windows..
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Oooooh, you damn scripts are gunna get it someday.. They still won't compile, and I have no reason why.. Damn smokeunit..

Edit: Yes, c'mon baby! I'm getting it.. I hope I don't spend another hour messing with it.. Time flies when I am scripting.. :shock:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

That is a very nice modle.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Thanks, didn't take close to as much time as I am using on scripting though... That model itself took ~1h 45m or so.. Scripting has taken about 2 hours or more by now..

Edit: i just deleted that script, I am gunna start anew..
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

No new updates, However I did retexture something, and talk about easy..

GIMP had this already in it..
The gradient Greens and the Brush vines XD..

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Haven't posted in forever, too bad...

Changes I would like to happen by the end of the month:

*Scrap current commander or delay him and put a temporary comm in, too hard to script

*Have barracks, Commander, and 1~however many infantry I can get

*Remodel Infantry, new texture for it, too

*Put a light vehicle in game

And that is what I am going to try to before November, from then I will just have to see...
Chrispin

Post by Chrispin »

Alright, for the people that don't know where this mod is going:

We plan on making a mod like no other. I may sound optimistic, but we really want to push the Spring engine to it's limits to see what it can do. We are aiming for the most realistic gameplay possible. I'll research whatever I have to about today's military combat and implement it into our mod. I want the mod to be very fun and exiting for our players by making battles start and end in a flash. You will not be waiting for 2 infantry units to finally kill each other out in the open. You will have to get them cover or else they are getting blown to pieces. This means that most of your advantage over your enemy will be the land you come across, not nessecarilly what units you have. If you have good tactics, you can have a squad of infantry take out a few tanks.

The time period this mod will be placed in is going to be right in the middle of the epic war that lead to The Total Annihilation. The war will soon be known as the Fight for Humanity. The humans are on the brink of extinction by 2 races. The aliens, and the early Core (Which we need a name for!).

Now to the storyline! Ok, like I said before, you are in the midst of a war called the Fight for Humanity that lead to an even larger war of Arm versus Core. But let's not skip that far. Let's start from the begining when the first space mission to go out of our solar system was launched in 2296. We could finally test out the use of wormholes to travel through space. The ship used in the mission carried over 100 men consisting of mostly scientists. The mission was succesful and the ship was carried out of our solar system. After the scientists eagerly identified and named many new planets, all communications with the ship were lost. The last report sent from the ship to Earth was a report of an attack over the planet Felmar II. The weaponry that attacked the ship was like nothing ever seen before. They were weapons of mass destruction. 5 years later and the next mission out of our solar system was luanched. This time the ship carried weapons, but again, the ship lost communitaction and was obliterated over Felmar II. Felmar II was described to be a complete organic wasteland. It was very exciting to see the first life on another planet, but the planet was far beyond inhabitable by humans. The place was too rich in oxygen. Organisms overcrowded the planet. Felmar II was clearly a living giant. Scientists began to think that if you were to take a step on the planet, you would be eaten alive. Soon, many missions were sent out to observe the planet with great precautions. Scientists wondered how a such crude planet could have such powerful weaponry. They greatly under-estimated the aliens. Many missions turned into battles between the 2 races. The aliens had few actuall fleets of ships. Most of the time creatures themselves would actually fly out into space. The aliens seemed very adaptable to their enviroment. The aliens obviously had technology beyond humans, but they rarely used it. After missions after missions were sent, humans began to forget why they were around the planet in the first place. They would send out missions with the main purpose of attacking Felmar II. Many citizens of Earth did not like these attack missions. The humans could not keep attacking without consequence though. Many lives were lost and soon to be more... many more. The whole out of solar system exploration act had formed a war. Aliens tracked ships back to Earth and attacked. Humans were devastated by alien attacks and no longer felt safe on their own planet. The humans had to start a war. They had no choice for the aliens would never stop attacking. The humans had about the technology equivelent to the aliens for the fact that the aliens were mostly simple organisms mixed with very few organisms with complex brains. The aliens had a history of galactic conquest. The aliens' ancients were very advanced and had the devastating weaponry that the aliens recovered over a thousand years later. So after many human lives were taken, the humans decided that the aliens and humans were even matched and now the humans needed an advantage to end this war. The aliens were even faster learners than humans and the humans needed faster learners now. Only artificial intelligence could solve this problem. Though, robot brains themselves could not be as smart as humans. The only solution to that was to implant actuall human brains into the robots. The humans were willing to do whatever they needed to do in order to win the Fight fo Humanity. And after the first AI robot with a human brain operating it was created. This soon turned into a disaster. The robots had free will and would sometimes malfuntion and kill humans. The robots could communicate much quicker than humans. Who knows what the robots could be plotting. The robots were succesful in exterminating much of the alien race by landing on the planet, but humans remained to have problems on Earth with the robots. The robots became more fiecer and would sometimes take humans and use their brains in order to build more of their own kind. The rage against the aliens and the robots continues. It seems as though all hope is lost for humans, or is it? It's all up to you, Commander. Lead the humans to victory, or face bitter defeat.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I liked my computer AI chip that had collective intelligence more, but this is pretty good.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

A linebreak here and there doesn't hurt you know.

Return to “Game Development”