Getting started in game development

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Lithy

Post by Lithy »

Hello!

I am a game developer (used to Unreal, Unity, or also engine-less games in C++), and I've been trying to get started with SpringRTS for like 5 or 6 hours now and I am still not able to even start a game. :shock:

I wanted to start by reading simple example from the SpringABC project: https://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:SpringABC I downloaded the projects from github and copied the .sdd directories to C:/Users/me/Documents/My Games/Spring but SpringLobby does not find them (yes, it does find the engine though).

I would rather not use a lobby actually, since all I want to do is dev a local game. I explored the --help options of the spring.exe command to be able to specify which project to run in spring but I am starting to feel a bit discouraged. :cry:

Honestly, I feel my need is pretty simple and standard: I want to create a game, put the project wherever I want, say "D:/GameDev/HelloSpring" (no space left on C:), and do something like "C:/Program Files/SpringRTS/spring.exe -game D:/GameDev/HelloSpring" to just start the game.

This is driving me crazy! Also, I understand tutorials may not be up to date, but where can I find a dry specification of available things?
TarnishedKnight

Re: Getting started in game development

Post by TarnishedKnight »

I'm surprised no one has replied yet. All these game devs on the forums and all that. If no one gets back to you, then maybe looking at other Spring projects may help. It certainly isn't the easiest engine to get started in.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Getting started in game development

Post by raaar »

... C:/Users/me/Documents/My Games/Spring but SpringLobby does not find them (yes, it does find the engine though).
A.sdd , B.sdd and C.sdd need to be placed on " C:/Users/me/Documents/My Games/Spring/games", maybe that's your issue.

People generally start games through the lobby clients and not through Spring.exe directly.

Return to “Game Development”