Command and Conquer

Command and Conquer

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Command and Conquer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I know I've made other posts about it, but anyway.

In light of the release of C&C: TFD, I am going to go ahead with my little C&C Minimod for Spring (actually, I've just been waiting for TFD to come out to start it).

The mod will follow the Tiberium storyline and encompass units and buildtrees from both Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun (in essence, Tiberian Dawn will be "Level 1"; Tiberian Sun, "Level 2").

The main goal of this little project is basically for my own pleasure. I like C&C (except for Generals); I like the interesting, original units, and the storyline, etc. The only thing I didn't like was the relatively restricted gameplay. Thusly, I am going to give it Spring's gameplay, where I can build hundreds of units and clash in epic battles, as opposed to like.. what.. 20 units?

Anyway, if anyone wants to help, that's great. However I will say now, I am going to be dictatorially in charge of modelling, balancing, production, design... actually, really I'd only accept scripting and feature concept help.

Just thought I'd spread the word.

INFORMATION

Completed Units

GDI

MCV
Power Plant
Tiberium Refinery
Tiberium Silo
Barracks
Guard Tower

Minigunner
Bazooka
Commando
Harvester

NOD

MCV
Power Plant
Tiberium Refinery
Tiberium Silo
Hand of Nod
Turret
Obelisk of Light

Minigunner
Bazooka

Light Tank
Harvester

Changelog:

Version .1 Alpha
-----------------------------------
- Added units: GDI & NOD MCV's; GDI & NOD Minigunner; NOD Light Tank;
- Added structures: GDI & NOD Power Plant; GDI & NOD Tiberium Silo; GDI Guard Tower; GDI Barracks; NOD Turret; NOD Hand of Nod;
- Added units: GDI & NOD Bazooka; GDI Commando;
- Added structure: NOD Obelisk of Light;
- Added structures: GDI & NOD Refinery;
- Added units: GDI & NOD Harvester;
Last edited by SpikedHelmet on 28 Feb 2006, 07:46, edited 4 times in total.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Nod Light Tanks

sergey

Post by sergey »

No nonconstructive criticism, if they aren't up to spec then he needs to know how he can fix them -Moderator
Flint

Post by Flint »

They look good, although thats quite a strange color. Keep up the work and update us often. :wink:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Pesonally I think the texture needs the shading painted on a little more strongly, and it looks almost entirely grit free, not at all like a tank that's been in the field for days. The model looks really good though.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Mod -> Please don't edit anyone's posts in here. I've been modding for years, I know how to handle jackoff kids that always think they can do better.

Also: If you've played C&C recently you'd know that's "similar" to the colour Nod units come in. Sort of bluey-grey. Secondly I'm not putting much effort into texturing right now. These are 3DO textures/models. I don't have the time or will to learn UV mapping to make beautiful models. I just know I am NOT going to cover my models in horrible logo textures... I will die before I see one of those light tanks covered in pink or something even more terrible.

More:

SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Oh, and the model: I based it heavily off of a T-72, since really, that's the closest thing those Nod light tanks look like. I made a T-72 model and then modified it... thinned the chassis and tracks, added more oblique-edged armour, of course no copula or hatch on the turret..
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

I like that you make it tiberian instead of Red alert. Makes me happy. And the tanks are good.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm not editing posts so that I can protect the fragile minds of mod authors. I'm well aware that many of you can dish just as well as any flamers can. I'm editing posts so that people contribute to threads constructively in the first place and I don't have to deal with long opinionated flame wars later. You guys develop fans and your fans don't always roll with the punches quite as nicely as you do. Comments like "They're ugly =(" don't help you and they are just baiting someone who disagrees to make a name calling competion out of it 2 pages down the line.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Oh yeah ! A CnC mod ! *sinks into deep nostalgia*

Anyway. I've only got one request for you; somehow, make the construction system work as it did in the original. The way that it works in Spring (and in TA, for that matter) is very different from the build-anywhere-beside-yourself style of CnC, and it's a part of the game just as much as the orcas, light tanks and obelisks were/are.

One solution could be a script that instantly kills any building that is not in close proximity to a friendly one. This just has the flaw of (maybe) killing off buildsing that are violently cut off from the flock. Another could be to have the construction yard's build range modified by other, friendly buildings.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Looks pretty kool!
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Durandal wrote:Oh yeah ! A CnC mod ! *sinks into deep nostalgia*

Anyway. I've only got one request for you; somehow, make the construction system work as it did in the original. The way that it works in Spring (and in TA, for that matter) is very different from the build-anywhere-beside-yourself style of CnC, and it's a part of the game just as much as the orcas, light tanks and obelisks were/are.

One solution could be a script that instantly kills any building that is not in close proximity to a friendly one. This just has the flaw of (maybe) killing off buildsing that are violently cut off from the flock. Another could be to have the construction yard's build range modified by other, friendly buildings.
Well, I can't help you with anything buildable by a mobile con, but for buildings in general, I suggest just giving them a long build radius, since I'm reasonably sure that buildings can build other buildings in Spring. This way, you can build in a certain radius around whichever the contructor building is, and should give the same effect.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Sorry guys, but:
The only thing I didn't like was the relatively restricted gameplay. Thusly, I am going to give it Spring's gameplay,
I will be using TA/Spring-style gameplay, ie, mobile construction units able to build structures anywhere.
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

Maybe you could canabalise the units from Unlimited Units unfinished CnC mod. Might cut down on the initial work until you have time to remodel everything.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

hmmm , i have the feeling that will look awesome in spring :-) 8)
im looking forward to it
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Sorry guys, but:
The only thing I didn't like was the relatively restricted gameplay. Thusly, I am going to give it Spring's gameplay,
I will be using TA/Spring-style gameplay, ie, mobile construction units able to build structures anywhere.
I was hoping you'd say that. I'm looking forward to watching (big!) swarms of grenadier infantry get burned by an oblisk of light <_<
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

As am I!

And I've already taken a gander at other old CnC mods. I feel more comfortable using my own work, if only because it is built the way I am used to.

Hand of Nod:

This is one dirty bitch thing to have to model. 500 faces and it still looks like shit.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Just to let you know, the original C&C's light tanks were a variant of the Bradley M2A2 upgraded to M2F which is a Bradley with a 70mm cannon, in reality a 70mm cannon would be quite poor, a 105mm cannon would be alot more realistic, even a 90mm gun would be better, it's funny that in C&C the M1A1 model had the TOW launcher and not the Bradley which should have the TOW launcher installed.

I personally though of making a C&C mod using TA:WD models as a base and the ballance would also have been completely different but still in the realm of C&C so relatively weak weapon damages.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Where'd you hear this?

I know in-game FMV's and the buildpic of the Light Tank are M2 Bradleys -- infact one of the FMV's in the game has the Bradley with quite visible TOW launcher and original 25mm Bushmaster... and when it fired it was somehow a 70mm cannon shot and not an automatic 25mm shot...

Speaking of other things, there are FMV's of GDI using Bradleys as well (actually its just a complete duplicate of a Nod FMV of their light tank driving up to a building and some guy planting a Nod flag.. they just redid it and replaced the greys with tans and made the flag GDI).

Fortunately C&C is not a realism RTS. 70mm is alright for Nod I guess! And the Tick Tank has a 90mm already.

I've thought of that too. A "Realistic" C&C mod would basically be exactly like WD, same units and everything, except that Mospact would instead be called Nod. Not much of a difference, which is why I decided to stick to exactly how the original C&C was.

Also have you ever played C&C: Renegade? Stuff is COMPLETELY different in there. The light tank in that looks nothing like anything whatsoever. Some futuristic little battle tank.

Anyway, I think in-game the Light Tank looks more like a T-72, if only because of the flat bulb turret (or maybe T-55?). So I'll believe it. ;)
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Oh, almost forgot:

Return to “Game Development”