Open request for acess to jk git stuff

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Can I go through and patch these up? Or at least port over the patches(assuming I can get the fixers permission) to your git? pulling the "latest" version of your code out of ZK should not be, it is an old behavior that makes us as a community look shabby and thrown together.

Plus zk has zkisms that I will typically have to strip out. So in the interest of saving others work I would like to endeavor a little maintenance work on your git stuff for spring. You and I go way back but I am unsure how to contact you so I am asking here.
The Yak

Re: Open request for acess to jk git stuff

Post by The Yak »

Gajop has carried on work of some of jk's projects (like chilli and custom unit shaders) https://github.com/gajop
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its git. Everyone can fork anything they want. The interesting part starts when you have a pull request.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

This is the latest version of CUS that works with latest spring
https://github.com/Spring-Helper-Projec ... it-Shaders

Also, I have started a git org with a bunch of projects that sprung and I have worked to abstract:
https://github.com/Spring-Helper-Projects

I can give you commit access if you like
gajop

Post by gajop »

I'd be interested in CUS, but it's really poor practice to nuke git history, remove the README.md, license file, change the project name, and so on...

PS: Why not just send proper PRs to my repo? I'll be happy to review and merge PRs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's not some grand conspiracy to relieve you of whatever credit you may be due. Both you and JK for YEARS cbf to actually fix CUS so that it works. As such, I took it upon myself (thankfully, 99% of the work had already been done in various other places).

You can dl it, and upload the files to your own repo if you like. However, I have zero trust that you will keep it updated and working (based upon the years of my pleading and your neglect). I have a vested interest in keeping it working properly, thus, it is more likely that whatever is in my repo will actually work on a consistent basis.

None of these files originated from your repo (as in I didn't clone your repo then copy them out and fix shit then upload to my repo in some grand scheme to wrest all credit from you or JK). They originated from a mixture of what was in Evo's repo and the fixes that had been integrated into BA.

The result? A working, drop-in, CUS that anyone can use easily. If you're unhappy about it, I don't really know what to tell you other than to just copy the files into your repo. I begged for help for years. I spent a week working on them, and got everything working almost perfectly, but posted here when I hit some roadblocks at the limit of my knowledge/ability. The end result was a CUS where the only part that really worked was ... well, I don't even remember.

P.S. The spring helper projects org was intended to be a group effort to take some of the more important and possibly complex bits of game logic and abstract them in a way that they could be dropped into any project. If you would like commit access to the org, you're welcome to it. All I ask is that you help keep things up to date and working (which takes very little effort generally).
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

They originated from a mixture of what was in Evo's repo and the fixes that had been integrated into BA.
In which case, as you well know, GPL states that you should credit any relevant authors from these projects too. Afaict this is completely absent.

Debunked conspiracy thoeries, unwillingness to make PRs, belief that old repos are dead, begging for help -- are not relevant to whether or not a license applies.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 09:32
They originated from a mixture of what was in Evo's repo and the fixes that had been integrated into BA.
In which case, as you well know, GPL states that you should credit any relevant authors from these projects too. Afaict this is completely absent.
https://github.com/Spring-Helper-Projec ... rs.lua#L17
Kindly go away.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

"... and fixes that had been integrated into BA" - its Beherith and Floris who did that work...

Ofc failing to credit the odd fix is not so important compared to gajops complaint.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Neither floris nor behe made commits to the original repo. Get off my dick.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

@Forb
1) This is not how things are usually done in the FOSS community in general.
2) The above and your responses here don't make it more likely that people will actually work with your copy. The more you argue for your initiative here the less viable it becomes.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Failure, if it happens, may either lead to the failing person identifying the source of the problem, and if it lies with them, to solve the failure. This is hard, painfull and often only happens if the failure is persistently rubbed into the persons face.

Another, way easier approach is to externalize the failure. It was the circumstances, the others, everyone out to get me - in that case the solution prefered is usually, to get into fights, trying to wrench controll from others and centralize the coordination of "all those loosers" to the only percieved never failing factor- oneself.

This usually results in disaster, as one literally cant do everything oneself in a modern world.

I found gajop to be a well tempered, reasonable and thrustworthy steward of the spring community- as is JK.

This demand for full controll, is unreasonable. You may make your own implementation, which if good and well, will automatically leave the original implementation behind. This is not game of thones, this is very great zoo, where the most reliant, most adapted and usefull are fed by the circumstances.

You can choose to feed the original with a Pull-Request.
You will find they have quite a standard they demand to be kept.

You will not contol additional infrastructure. Especially not with that attitude. There, now you got someone to rage and blame. It wasnt you.
Floris

Post by Floris »

We don't use evo's CUS anymore, but BAR's
(since Feb 20, 2018)

https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... haders.lua
gajop

Post by gajop »

Nuking git history is poor practice because it makes it hard to track changes... You're basically putting the burden on other people to go and figure out what changed by copying files around and comparing in their local copy!
Your responses to the mostly technical issues I raised here and your new README makes me want to not have anything to do with your initiative.

PS: I was perfectly happy to cooperate and I responded to both your PRs [1], [2], but you just never followed with the requested changes. I am happy to maintain (PRs accepted) a bunch of Spring libs, but I can't actively develop them all. Just too much work for one person.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The Yak wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 01:11 Gajop has carried on work of some of jk's projects (like chilli and custom unit shaders) https://github.com/gajop
CHEERS! Thanks!

Return to “Game Development”