New Mod/Conversion: GEAR COMMANDER - Page 8

New Mod/Conversion: GEAR COMMANDER

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Necro. But damn those infantry actually LOOK like infantry! Good show!
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Hey all, I'm back. Greetings from montenegro :) it was real nice. Now i've started working and so far I haven't got the time to mod any but I'm hoping tomorrow I'll get some stuff done. keep tuned for screenies :)
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

hope you had a good time! and good luck with the work hopefully you won't be too knackered by it and will be able to carry on with this fantastic looking mod! and ohh montenegro! the newsest state in europe! (kinda lol)
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

hey all!
Got some work done today, modelled the spitting cobra!, woot :)

The skin has to be detailed and fixed up before you'll get to see any screenies tho :P But I hope that I'll get some up this weekend.

I also got the firearcs working now, I think, on the gears and infantry so now they dont twist their torsos 360 degrees, I'm really happy it got fixed. It was a major eyesore for me.

until later, centurion1 out
Monkwarrior

Post by Monkwarrior »

Looking forward to the new pics :-)
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

centurion: have you been following the new Blitz Rules stuff? The new simplified tac rules might be a good basis for the balance/stats end of this mod.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

wow your infantry looks good!
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Behold, the great Spitting Cobra! Also on display is the new souther standard camouflage scheme, for gears atleast. I am currently undecided wether I'll have separate units in woodland and desert schemes or if i'll have to have only one type of camo per side...

note: not 100% complete yet
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

The ammo box is too big, and the Gear's holding its rifle in the wrong hand. (Unless the pilot's left-handed) The ammo box should be about half that thickness, if not a third. The head looks odd, but that might just be the angle - Gear heads tend to look odd at any angle but straight-on. The engines on the Spit are straight, not funneled. The King Cobra's the one with funneled engines.
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Good observations, I've slightly reduced the ammobox and changed the engine cylinders. The heads are always a bit tricky to get right and I don't think I'll be changing it.

I had a good day today, got the Caiman APC completely modelled and texutred, pictures tomorrow. It turned out quite nice, if i may say so myself 8) Just like you'd expect a southern apc: all muddy from crawling trough rivers and swamps in the jungles :twisted:

Next up are commanders, souther infantry, recon hunters & jagers etc etc
:roll:

It's an endless list, i tells ya.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

centurion-1 wrote:The heads are always a bit tricky to get right and I don't think I'll be changing it.
They're not just tricky to get right, they change depending on what the artist thought would look good from that angle. Even worse is the Hunter, whose head design changed drastically between (I think) the first edition artwork and the second edition artwork.

At least you aren't trying to model off the minis. ;) Then you'd be going nuts trying to decide which side gets round rocket pods.
I had a good day today, got the Caiman APC completely modelled and texutred, pictures tomorrow. It turned out quite nice, if i may say so myself 8) Just like you'd expect a southern apc: all muddy from crawling trough rivers and swamps in the jungles :twisted:
Sweet.
Next up are commanders, souther infantry, recon hunters & jagers etc etc
What're you going to be using for Commanders?

Also, have you thought about construction units? There's a bunch of utiliy Gear/tank variants you could steal.

Have you given any thought to balance/gameplay style yet? Simply lifting the style from the tabletop game or trying to shoehorn the units into TA's play style both sound troublesome.

You might also want to think about posting something about this project on the official forums. I don't think the company would take exception to it... *fingers crossed*
smoth

Post by smoth »

centurion-1, you may want to go ahead and set up your wiki page listing what you have planned(tenatively) that will help you have a list of units and function. Also it will allow you an area to work out your thoughts.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

just beautiful! keep it coming!
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

What're you going to be using for Commanders?
North will get a Grizzly command variant and South a Cobra command variant, with slighlty downtuned weapons but increased armour + build capacity.
Also, have you thought about construction units? There's a bunch of utiliy Gear/tank variants you could steal.
Yes there is and i plan on using them as well as perhaps some of my own designs if needed, ie heavy crane vehicle for advanced construction etc
Have you given any thought to balance/gameplay style yet? Simply lifting the style from the tabletop game or trying to shoehorn the units into TA's play style both sound troublesome.
That is what i think about almost daily now, how to decide on stats and so on. I have already decided that there will be buildings, with some kind of underlying tech levels however not as transparent as OTA. Unit build times will be genereally short but prices relatively steep for advanced units. Infantry will be usable troughout the game, hopefully, even if easily killed individually.
You might also want to think about posting something about this project on the official forums. I don't think the company would take exception to it... *fingers crossed*
Yes, this is a big concern of mine, and I think i'll wait until i get a beta out before notifying DP9. Because of the freeware / open source nature of Spring and by extension this mod I don't think it'll be a problem, but ofcourse it concerns me.

About the WIKI page, I might do that, good idea...

Here are the promised Caiman renders:
Monkwarrior

Post by Monkwarrior »

Excellent, I really like the muddy look 8)

Monk.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Interesting vehicle, the dirt is a nice touch. It is also not too high poly +1 for that.

As I said before, the textures lack contrast and look over all flat. The axiom I must tell you is always imagine your model in 70% light and 30% shaddow. If they are given this it will bring out their geomitry and help really show the work you have done here.
centurion-1 wrote: Yes, this is a big concern of mine, and I think i'll wait until i get a beta out before notifying DP9. Because of the freeware / open source nature of Spring and by extension this mod I don't think it'll be a problem, but ofcourse it concerns me.
Another point is that this can help promote heavy gear. People seeing the units may want to buy the minis or try the wargame... hell buy the books. :)
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

ill second smoths notion. I really got into Warhammer 40k only after seeing a tiny preview for Dawn of War. So interested i looked up the site, read some fluff, looked at lots of models, and finally Bought the starter set :)

Now i can't get enough of the whole universe. and fantasy Warhammer is damn cool too
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

how many people you got working on your mod?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

its just him atm
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Yep, just me for now

Quick update: Got the Caiman APC ingame and am working on APC scripts, unload and load now works, still not perfect tough, I'm not that good at the scripting bit.

Return to “Game Development”