Mutator Modtype

Mutator Modtype

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Mutator Modtype

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ok so we are adding music in evo as an additional package that will be distributed separately from the main game, which will reduce the size of the main git repo and hopefully save some disk space on the spring servers.

So damgam suggested making the music an optional dependency. As far as I was aware, spring doesn't support optional dependencies, but then I open modinfo.lua and see these comments:
-- What kind of mod this is
-- 0 - Hidden (support mod that can't be selected, such as OTA_textures)
-- 1 - Normal, only one can be selected at a time
-- 2 - Addon, any number of these can be selected. Could be used
-- for single units for example.
-- others - perhaps mutators and addon races that can be
-- enabled in addition to xta for example?
modtype = 4,
2 for addon? It isn't documented in https://springrts.com/wiki/Modinfo.lua , does it exist? Does it work/is there actual support for it?
I can think of a bunch of uses for an addon dependency.

Halp?

Edit: I read "addon" as "Optional Addon". I might need to be set straight if I'm misunderstanding the usage of that word.
sprunk

Re: Mutator Modtype

Post by sprunk »

Engine source says 2 is "reserved" and it doesnt seem to be used, I don't think Spring supports optional archive loading.

As a temporary measure you could have users dump the music in their local sounds folder (similar to how local user widgets are "installed"), though this is not a general solution (potentially affects other games who might read those files).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ok, that's what I figured.

Well distribution is going to be via steam and itch as a dependency mutator, but even beyond that, evo uses its own "special" widgets folder anyway, so no worries on either count.

smoth

Post by smoth »

Did you get this or still need a hand?

Return to “Game Development”