Don't use upspring!

Don't use upspring!

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

gajop

Don't use upspring!

Post by gajop »

I suggest you simply use Collada (.dae), and save yourself the trouble of using upspring.

EDIT: Original thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36605)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: What is Upspring

Post by PicassoCT »

Deeply detest such answers. Basically amounts to - throw away all you have learned, and use a diffrent toolchain/pipeline for whatever is modern. Amounts to source hipster-ism, sorry gajop and is deeply disrespectfull to the lifetime people allready invested to get to the point of asking.

Upspring has bugs.But it works. It can be found under springfiles.com
http://springfiles.com/spring/tools/upspring

It can be started standalone.
You can configure your texture folder, so it will autoload textures in the views.cfg of the install folder.
Its pretty much self-explaining.
gajop

Post by gajop »

throw away all you have learned, and use a diffrent toolchain/pipeline
What are you talking about? He doesn't even know what upspring is.

Why bother learning a Spring-specific tool which doesn't run on Linux and why use a format which doesn't open in anything outside of Spring?
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

gajop wrote:
throw away all you have learned, and use a diffrent toolchain/pipeline
What are you talking about? He doesn't even know what upspring is.

Why bother learning a Spring-specific tool which doesn't run on Linux and why use a format which doesn't open in anything outside of Spring?
One of the major put-offs for me working on a spring game (apart from being a Mac user) is that whenever I tried to follow a tutorial, no one helped me to follow it, if I ever asked about anything I was pointed away to something different (this was with mapping, made me not game to go into games)

It would also help if you explained a little for him why he shouldn't use UpSpring, and how Collada would fit into that tutorial. Maybe even update the docs for him so that they point to using Collada?

Essentially what has happened is that he's following directions to London and he's asked how to take a train and you've said go catch an airplane (which he doesn't [currently] have directions for.) Or at least that's what it feels like.
gajop

Post by gajop »

MasterBel2 wrote:One of the major put-offs for me working on a spring game (apart from being a Mac user) is that whenever I tried to follow a tutorial, no one helped me to follow it, if I ever asked about anything I was pointed away to something different (this was with mapping, made me not game to go into games)
I don't think present tutorials are good for learning how to make games.
MasterBel2 wrote: It would also help if you explained a little for him why he shouldn't use UpSpring, and how Collada would fit into that tutorial. Maybe even update the docs for him so that they point to using Collada?
In the beginning it shouldn't be as simple as exporting it as .dae file. More detailed docs seem to exist already (https://springrts.com/wiki/Assimp), and can be found in the main gamedev page (https://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:Main).
MasterBel2 wrote: Essentially what has happened is that he's following directions to London and he's asked how to take a train and you've said go catch an airplane (which he doesn't [currently] have directions for.) Or at least that's what it feels like.
Right, but I'm not selling train tickets to London. In fact there are no workers in the train factory anymore, and those who built the railways seem to have quit...
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Majority of beginner devs is on windows. Period.
And to just stand there, besides existing documentation and yelling "We ought to do better" is not better.
Its worser.
And the train is still working.
Yeah, its a old train.

Still Upsprings workflow is more intuitive then blender.
Better to have the sparrow in the hand, then the dove on the roof.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Don't use upspring!

Post by abma »

i've split the topic as the answer is:
https://springrts.com/wiki/Upspring

also wikified the word "upspring" in the tutorial.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

wrt the topic: the tutorial https://springrts.com/wiki/The_Complete ... pring_Game should be really split in smaller pages/parts so its modular.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Still Upsprings workflow is more intuitive then blender.
I must apologise for my unconstrained reaction upon seeing this highly dubious statement, but

Lol
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

abma wrote:wrt the topic: the tutorial https://springrts.com/wiki/The_Complete ... pring_Game should be really split in smaller pages/parts so its modular.
Really it should picked over as carrion and replaced, but https://springrts.com/wiki/User:Flozi/Tutorial was written ages ago and I've done nothing since.
smoth

Post by smoth »

gajop wrote:I suggest you simply use Collada (.dae), and save yourself the trouble of using upspring.
did they fix the issue with blender's export and z is up? if so, great otherwise it is a whole level of rage inducing frustration!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

gajop wrote:I suggest you simply use Collada (.dae), and save yourself the trouble of using upspring.
Why? You don't provide any arguments. This is trolling.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Didn't start this thread nor name it. It was split from an existing one. You can see my reasons in other replies.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

That's why thread splitting is such a confusing dick move. Apologies to you gajop, but it wasn't easy to see that this was a split thread.

Thread integrity would be more helpful to the community than splitting them. Even places like reddit don't split threads.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Yeah, thread splitting happens a lot, but I don't want to open that argument just because my thread was split.

Reddit isn't the best example though, they have a tree-like structure which makes it easy to have multiple branching discussions in the same thread (and even post). I'd say it's just ultimately better for discussion than phpbb-style boards.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Okay, kiddos, i just wanted you too know- mumy and daddy thread love you very much- just no longer one another. We had a little topic segration fallout- and are going to stay out of each others lives for a while.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

smoth wrote:
did they fix the issue with blender's export and z is up? if so, great otherwise it is a whole level of rage inducing frustration!
i didnt get this one. OGRE 3d had the same "problem". it was just a matter of changing some settings in blender, and just reorienting what view you started modeling in.

i think the "problem" comes from importing models created in other modelers. if you start a model from scratch, defining z as up, it should theoretically transfer fine with no need to replace all the zs with -xs or whatever.

Return to “Game Development”