Turn based support

Turn based support

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Lulu

Turn based support

Post by Lulu »

Hello Everyone,
I want to start a new game Project, however I need to know whether spring supports Turn based Strategy.
Would that be possible to implement, via scripting?
Has anyone tried something like that yet, or is there a project who implemented tbs already?

Some friend would recreate handdrawn tiles etc. the only problem is, whether tbs could be implemented, and maps could be seperated into grids, for movement.

Greetings, Louis
Silentwings

Re: Turn based support

Post by Silentwings »

It could be implemented with enough lua but its not exactly a natural thing to do with an RTS engine. (There is no native support for turn-based play due to the "RT" part, and Springs pathfinder will not restrict to a rectangular grid of chosen size.)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I played a "paper scissors rock" game on the SpringRTS engine once... long ago... maybe someone still has an archive.
The pathfinder could probably be managed with an invisible fence opening an closing (like a gate) on the edges of grid peaces.
gajop

Post by gajop »

You would need to implement some concepts, but it shouldn't be too hard.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Have you looked at Wesnoth? They have a turn-based engine and tiles.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

I wouldn't recommend using spring for that.
While it's possible, it will require all the work that it would on a different platform, plus work to suppress spring's real time features.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Spring has quite a few useful systems which are needed by a turn based strategy game. It is worth using Spring for the netcode, unit selection and command handling. You may even use the weapon/projectile aiming system for graphics purposes. If you wanted a more physicsy game you could even use Spring hitvolumes and projectile physics.

I think all the technical aspects of a turn base strategy game would be easy to implement in Spring. Suppressing the real time component of the engine is not all that hard, every unit would be under movectrl and they would not automatically fire. So I would say that Spring supports turn based strategy with a bit of scripting work. One thing though, Spring is a 3D engine that is built to show models running around on terrain. If you have 2D terrain tiles you are probably better off looking at a 2D engine.

The real question is whether it is easier to make a TBS in Spring than it is in some more general engine. The more general engines give you more flexibility and (surely) have better graphics/shader support but they leave the implementation of things such as a command system up to the user. Spring is less flexible than a fully general engine so you had better make sure you don't want any unsupported features before using it. Do you want torus maps? Cave systems?

Return to “Game Development”