units hugging enemies?

units hugging enemies?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

units hugging enemies?

Post by smoth »

I cannot be the only one whose units want to practically try to hum their enemies to death? it has been the case for many of the "recent" engine versions I want to say.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: units hugging enemies?

Post by raaar »

you're not, I agree it's very annoying.

I think it's caused by two behaviors:
- fast unit trying to chase a slow target that's moving away from it
- tight cluster of units repositioning to try to get a line of fire are drawn progressively closer to the target

A possible solution is having the units no longer try to move closer to target if it's already within half of the unit's attack range (when on attack or fight order)

They could even try to move away from it if the target got too close (25% weapon range).

The behavior could be configured through unitdefs and/or something lua.

Is there a mantis entry for this?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

It's been years and I can't remember if I actually made it work properly or not but investigate Spring.SetUnitMaxRange(unitID, maxRange)
smoth

Post by smoth »

it is really odd behavior. I don't understand what is going on here. it is a pretty bad unit behavior to have happen as often as it does. Not sure why players are not raising hell about it.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Not sure why players are not raising hell about it.
We lack of micro players, and players are already pissed off by many things, they can't cry all day long.
Overall we are just happy it's still alive, thx for that.

Btw in old engine we used to have even allied units that refused to stay too close together like fleas here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHI2uUG6wzM

Nowadays u can make big ballz of any units and its not an improvment.

It would be so nice to have units trying to stay away from any collisions.

off-topic :
Also I dont know why but in BA collisions are a big issue, the battleships bouncing/accelerating while they hit the ground is very frustrating and killz immersion, same problem with vehicules, they way they bounce into buildings and/or units makes it very sad behavior.

I tried to play old BA on old engine and even if many points are pure improvments, we lost a LOT of feeling with units and good behaviors mechanics also.

also this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXt1Gxx9BQ how can we bring back this mechanics to BA? on the video I push my commander using a small group of peewees, it would be nice to be able to push cons or any unit that is guarding another unit or building.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

triton wrote:
Not sure why players are not raising hell about it.
We lack of micro players, and players are already pissed off by many things, they can't cry all day long.
Overall we are just happy it's still alive, thx for that.

Btw in old engine we used to have even allied units that refused to stay too close together like fleas here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHI2uUG6wzM

Nowadays u can make big ballz of any units and its not an improvment.

It would be so nice to have units trying to stay away from any collisions.

off-topic :
Also I dont know why but in BA collisions are a big issue, the battleships bouncing/accelerating while they hit the ground is very frustrating and killz immersion, same problem with vehicules, they way they bounce into buildings and/or units makes it very sad behavior.

I tried to play old BA on old engine and even if many points are pure improvments, we lost a LOT of feeling with units and good behaviors mechanics also.

also this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXt1Gxx9BQ how can we bring back this mechanics to BA? on the video I push my commander using a small group of peewees, it would be nice to be able to push cons or any unit that is guarding another unit or building.

Also most of the time it's just not a good way to move units when attacking someone (except for situations where it is and the hugging helps in blocking).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Agreed this is annoying as hell.
gajop

Post by gajop »

ZK probably works around this with unit AI while the rest silently suffer
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

We could trick around this by having the imediate dangercone and a Sphere of personal space of a unit weighted negative into battle pathing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

what happened with heatmaps? that was supposed to tell units to not clump up so much?
smoth

Post by smoth »

gajop wrote:ZK probably works around this with unit AI while the rest silently suffer
I will try zk
smoth

Post by smoth »

oh, I cannot, because 1.4.7.1 doesn't give me a commander...
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That version is more than a year old and likely only works with a 103+200 or so.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Where do I download zk without getting zklobby on my system?
gajop

Post by gajop »

smoth

Post by smoth »

thx

Return to “Game Development”