Advanced BA permissions -- Possibly contact Deadnight Warrior

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Sevalecan

Post by Sevalecan »

So, a few months back I messed around converting Advanced BA to work with a newer version of Balanced Annihilation (9.38). It took me one or two weeks of writing some conversion code to help with the transition to LUAfied mod files.

Hopefully shoving this post here is considered relevant to game development, but let me know if that's not the case.

Anyway, since I had the mod mostly working before my previous semester of school started, I attempted to contact Deadnight Warrior to see about getting permission for continuing the mod, but the private message I sent here was not responded to. So, I was wondering if anyone had a way to contact him yet.

If not, the question becomes, can I just rename the mod and distribute it anyway? I suspect all of the units used in the mod come from the usual TA mod sites out there with little to no modification, so I'm not sure that I really have to worry about the ownership of the content in that respect.

Any ideas on where to go from here are greatly appreciated.
Silentwings

Re: Advanced BA permissions -- Possibly contact Deadnight Warrior

Post by Silentwings »

can I just rename the mod and distribute it anyway
Seems reasonable in this case, if DNW has not replied to a forum pm in a while its unlikely he has his own plans - but pick a new name & start new version numbering to make sure it won't be confused with original (or with vanilla BA), change loadscreens to match if needed, etc.

For details see https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators
Sevalecan

Re: Advanced BA permissions -- Possibly contact Deadnight Warrior

Post by Sevalecan »

Silentwings wrote:
can I just rename the mod and distribute it anyway
Seems reasonable in this case, if DNW has not replied to a forum pm in a while its unlikely he has his own plans - but pick a new name & start new version numbering to make sure it won't be confused with original (or with vanilla BA), change loadscreens to match if needed, etc.

For details see https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators
I think that is what I will do. Thanks for the info, and for the link. :-)

Return to “Game Development”