Transport doesn't like to pick up units

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... es_lus.lua

https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... ly_lus.lua

Ok so basically, it's a 3do unit. I have rewritten the script in lua, but it is doing the same thing that the bos script was doing, and that is it goes over to pick up the unit, but it just sits there vibrating.

When moving the transport away from the target passenger, the target unit will instantly sink into the ground (about halfway) and rise back up to the surface.

I have tried moving the link piece down via script as much as -10. It doesn't help. I have tried even using the base as the attachment piece.

Any ideas?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Transport doesn't like to pick up units

Post by raaar »

is that happening on 103 or later?

i'd say "dynamically shrink collision volumes for the air transport by 50% using lua", but i think at some point someone made it so that collisions are disabled between transport and transported unit (not sure if soon-to-be transported counts).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yes this is 103. I thought the same wrt collision volumes, but even with colvols that could never touch, it still doesn't work. And yes colvols are ignored:

I thought it might have to do with it being 3do, so I converted it sloppily to s3o and same issue exists. Then I tried using LUS to script it, same issue.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

This isn't caused by collision volumes (purple wireframes) touching; the transporter's model radius (grey wireframe, not visible if the colvol is a sphere of ~equal size) is simply too large.

An air transport will try descending to (height(ground) plus height(cargo)) to maintain visual realism during pickup. If its grey sphere ever clips the ground at or above that height, bad vibrations ensue.

Spring.SetUnitRadiusAndHeight (or, for S3O's, defining radius separately in UpSpring) can be used in lieu of an engine solution, shrinking CV's or moving piece positions will not help (at all).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Aha! Thank you kloot. I was thinking I was going crazy. That explains the weird behavior entirely. As it's 3do it kinda puts me in a pickle but I can just lua it I guess. Seems like a bit of an ugly fix but I suppose I can make it a bit less fugly by way of implementation.

Edit: Wrong name my apologies I saw blue and didn't realize (I'm also on mobile) -_-
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 30 Nov 2016, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It was already "fixed in lua" (eons ago by DeadNightWarrior when the engine changing some scaling constants for models) but you broke it - https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... volume.lua.
Aha! Thank you Abma.
That's Kloot.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

That gadget does a lot more than that, and much of what it does simply compounds much larger issues.

Return to “Game Development”