A remake for KKND?

A remake for KKND?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

ROCKNROLLKID

A remake for KKND?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Hello Spring Engine community.

I don't know if this is the right section of the forums to ask for this, but if there are any modding teams or developers that are interested in a game idea, I would like to see remakes for KKND and KKND2. I figured since no one seems to have any plans for it and since the game seems to have just been forgotten, maybe someone here would be willing to.

Here is the website to the game I am talking about: http://www.kknd2.com/
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: A remake for KKND?

Post by FLOZi »

Only if that someone here is you :wink: we have our own games to finish!
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Oh I understand. Everyone has their own games and all. If I knew coding, I would attempt it myself, however, it is out of my line of work. I have attempted Python, but couldn't stay with it.

But if anyone runs out of ideas or is interested or something, a remake of KKND and KKND2 would be nice to see.

Keep up the good work Spring community and all game developers!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Many people here are doing something "out of their line of work."
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I forgot the exact mechanics, but KKnD was a fairly standard RTS, so you wouldn't need that much code. Maybe one gadget for the resource gathering, which hopefully could be copied from another Spring project. But can you model, skin and texture?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

KKnD was more or less like the first C&C (Tiberian Dawn), minus infantry transports, plus building upgrades which unlocked units. For that last part (building upgrades unlocking units) take a look at Spring1944, we have this already done.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Sorry for the late reply. I am glad some people are at least taking consideration of this. KKND was once a really good game, but as you can see it is extremely old and seems to have just been forgotten, but I would love to see a remake and I am sure there are others that would, too. I only request that the story/campaign mostly the same as the originals.

@yuritch: KKND is more like Warzone 2100.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I liked KKND and played it a lot as a kid. I tried KKND2 a bit later on and didn't find it appealing for some reason.
The greatest thing about KKND to me were probably the video scenes with real actors. It had a whole different vibe than Red Alert games, which was a better game in general.
I don't think the gameplay in KKND was that good, although I never played it on a serious level. I can't really see how it stands out from the generic RTS of the time, and certainly not now.

PS: You should still assume this project won't happen unless you do it. People tend to be busy enough and would much rather work on their own ideas than someone's else's.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

@yuritch: KKND is more like Warzone 2100.
Warzone 2100 has been released as open source quite a while ago; you can repurpose what you find to further your goal.

Though i disagree. WZ2100 and KKND share a type of setting (post-apocalyptic; fallout rts of sorts), but KKND is pretty much RA from game mechanics perspective. Or Dark Reign, which isn't that different either.
IceReaper

Post by IceReaper »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I figured since no one seems to have any plans for it ...
I am currently working on this - its just no spring mod ;) http://www.kknd-game.com
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Between remaking as a Spring mod, and reprogramming everything from scratch, maybe there could have been a middle ground. I know there's several 2D RTS engine open source remake, though only OpenRA comes to mind. KKnD is much closer to C&C than it is to Total Annihilation and Spring, so porting to a C&C-like engine would have been much easier than porting to Spring.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Hey sorry for the long delay in reply. Glad to see someone is doing this. I use to like KKND when I was younger. I guess KKND is similar to Tiberian Dawn, so maybe SpringRTS wasn't a good choice. I did try recreating some of the maps in SpringRTS, but eventually abandon it because it wasn't working out well for me.

Anyways, I am glad some people still remember this game and are willing to recreate it. Maybe even expand on the story a little?

Return to “Game Development”