I have some doubts about a few ideas I have for a game. ( if this idea already exists please point me where it is 'cause I always wanted to play something like that)
I recently found this wonderful tool to create new RTS based games. And honestly I'm putting high hopes in it (mainly due to this -> check end of post)
But I wasted to much of my free time ending up in dead ends or on very painstakingly paths. So I want to understand the full potentials of this engine.
A few problems I usually encounter:
- Can it run with an big number of different types of units without major problems? (big numbers - 200 different units)
- Is the tech tree possible to be giant and complex? I would be awesome with a dedicated page (like civ) but I can work with building based (similar to AoE). (this type of giant and complex - the skill system of PoE)
- Is it possible to do it with moderate knowledge (mainly self taught coding) of lua scripting? Do I need advanced coding knowledge? (I can get around with lua, but I'm no expert)
- Does the engine updates require high maintenance of the projects or they just need minor or none adjustments?
- Is the community helpful enough to help other projects, specially on 3d art? Is it easy to "steal" 3d models or even some scripts? Are there people interested in forking and giving brand new ideas to still non-popular projects?
My problems so far, if you don't want to read a boring story, skip this part:
This project idea started while I was still a kid in his teen ages. I wanted to play a game that rivalled Civ but in real time. A game that would start as a group of caveman that would evolve until the near future. So the concept began in the old Darkreign engine with the help of my father. But I started to have problems with the technological advancements and the the resource tiles (i still managed to create a 3rd resource, but that was it). So i decided to abandon it. I still tried a few game engines, but they were to much limited. Even though the Warcraft 3 XP engine still gave me quite a liberty, but still not as much as I wanted. With friends investing in coding I tried to co-work with them to make our own game engine. 4 years and we barely made a game. With them abandoning the project I had no choice to pursuit my dream alone. Then I heard about the RTS Creator. Name was interesting. Started to try to create, but again the engine was limited. While trying to push the that engine limits by going into forums, I heard about an RTS engine that in theory could create anything. I'm still a bit sceptical but what I saw until caught my attention. But I don't want to find another dead end after wasting months of free time.