Pokemon RTS

Pokemon RTS

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

punksailor

Pokemon RTS

Post by punksailor »

I'm thinking of making a Pokemon RTS. Does anyone have any ideas of what Pokemon should be in it? Any suggestion is helpful.

My website: http://prts.weebly.com/
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Pokemon RTS

Post by PicassoCT »

NintendoLawyerMon uses Cease And Desist.
Its super effective.

Really, if you want to do such things- go ahead, but make up your own franchise to safe your work.

They should have the ability's they had in the series. +Some Adventure Overworldgame
8611z

Post by 8611z »

pummeluff and knuddeluff
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

i know, we seem mean and evil now. This is your dream and you showed you want to work for it.
Make a pokemon 3d model, and we get the first ingame for you? How does that deal sound?
smoth

Post by smoth »

in the past fan projects were OK, for decades but then the dickbags in the US government started trying to pull off sopa and pipa. I am sure they weaseled some version in or will in the future.

Your site doesn't have anything on it yet but I don't think you have any content or thought out design of how this would work.

Just make your own game based on pokemon so you can work outside of the restrictions of pokemans and not worry about the assholes trying to regulate all the things.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

A nice way to avoid IP issues would be to make up your own brand new pokemon. You could even argue (weakly) that pokemon is not the same as the franchise because the e is not accented and therefore they are two different things (good luck with that, I'm sure they have pokemon trademarked in every way imaginable).
punksailor

Post by punksailor »

To the people who are talking about the fact that i might get sued it is likely if i charge money. It would be a free fan game. I doubt Nintendo would care.

I do also have some 3d models that I'm working on. I have to find some free time to make the game. Most development would happen over the summer and on spring break. I don't have a lot of free time. I do have some Pokemon i think would fit in. List will be on the website soon.
punksailor

Post by punksailor »

To Picasso ct: Those are some good ideas. Thanks!

To Forboding Angel: Thanks for noticing me!

To 8611z: Jigglypuff and Wiggletuff may make it in. They may fit in. Thanks for the suggestion.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

smoth wrote:in the past fan projects were OK, for decades but then the dickbags in the US government started trying to pull off sopa and pipa. I am sure they weaseled some version in or will in the future.
He should be concerned with possibility of receiving DMCA from Nintendo, not the sopa stuff that your talking about.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

punksailor wrote:To the people who are talking about the fact that i might get sued it is likely if i charge money. It would be a free fan game. I doubt Nintendo would care.
Money has absolutely nothing to do with it. For a very high profile case, see Halogen: http://www.1up.com/news/halogen-rts-mod-canned
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its really sad. And it makes no sense, even from a economical perspective. (Fanbase, making franchise actually valuable in the first place).
They dont even try to hi-jack your "free"-work

But this is not about sense, and not about economics.
This is about a under-employed lawyer, sitting within a company structure, trying to extract some meaning from life and in the way of doing so, impress his boss. Thus, expensive hilarity ensues.

It sucks.
Big time.

Worst case, that company creates its own competitor, for example you - designing a even better card game rts hybrid.
:D

Do it, try it, you can beat them. And if you do, and one day, one of those lawyers goes to shore before your desk. Do me a favour, and ask them this:
"I see, you have been in brand protection at your last working place. Please, elaborate, how brand protection adds value to a company in the long term."
Then stomp them.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Super Mario wrote:
smoth wrote:in the past fan projects were OK, for decades but then the dickbags in the US government started trying to pull off sopa and pipa. I am sure they weaseled some version in or will in the future.
He should be concerned with possibility of receiving DMCA from Nintendo, not the sopa stuff that your talking about.
Yeah he should, with the USG looking for ways to act on behalf of IP owners.

Whatever, it is out there. DCMA is always a possibility. Not like you would understand or have gone as far as I did. Whatever.

waste your time on a pokemon game if you want.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Still, i wonder, maybe its better to start a fan project, receive the face friction from the lawyers up high, one was in for and then convert your project to your own art. Yes, its more work. But if spring had a central - "TeamColoured ColVol-Placeholders as Models-switch" one could still play it.
Many of us have started with fan-projects, some even legal, and received there take-down after quite some invested time, because companys are a living thing, nothing there is written in stone. The irony beeing - that its even depending on the time you ask. After some turmoil, asking the newly crowned boss, in some formerly not even existing department, will gain you a instant "off-with-theire-heads" response, as the kingdom has to be lined with concrete.
Do the same thing two years later, and everyone suddenly is relaxed and - whatever man, its a dead archive fish anyway - attitude prevails.
Not naming any names here.
Just protection a positiv outlook on the world-
smoth

Post by smoth »

better to not waste your time.

In my case it is just too expensive to have their lawyers consider it. He wants to do pokemans, fine, once it spans more than one game/cartoon it increases the difficult and probability of conflict. It is why one of the gundam openings could not make it's way stateside even when it was the parent company.

Like I said before, he would be better off using pokemans as an inspiration and going from there.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

call it digipoke RTS, and make up your own digital poket monsters with dragon balls and all that jazz. oh wait. dont call them dragon balls, might get sued for that too. call them mon balls.

Return to “Game Development”