Do Superweapons feel more super, when you have to work for them?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Not in a engery, metall sence, but investment of micro and time sence?
Imagine a nuklear rocket launch pad- where you have to build the rocketstages and warhead seperatly (LittleTrucks from a Factory) and assemble them one after another.

Its more Micro. More work. But also way more satisfying when done.
NeonStorm

Re: Do Superweapons feel more super, when you have to work for them?

Post by NeonStorm »

When I have a Bertha, it fires a lot of shells …
… but I can NOT see the damage it causes (fog of war)
… and when I build a second and third and forth it isn't super anymore

A super-unit does not need to cost more than everything else, neither it needs to be more difficult to get.

It just needs to be either
  • more cost efficient
  • easier to micro it compared to your other units and with awesome graphics / not annoying sound like a monotone Bertha
  • something that does not suffer attrition damage and makes cost before being out-of-date due to exponential economy
… and most importantly, it needs to be limited to 1.

A good example is the ranger-platoon of WH40k.
It costs about as much as the basic gardist-platoon and does less damage and also has no plasma grenades, but it invisible (nothing mobile else is) and breaks the moral of target infantry.
Orfelius

Re: Do Superweapons feel more super, when you have to work for them?

Post by Orfelius »

Congrats Pic its a neonstorm thread now.

Anyhow, a yet not released RTS called Act of Agression does that. One has to gather a special type of resource that is randomly spread trough a map so the strongest units and superweapons can be made out of it. It is a very cool concept but imo the idea of creating a couple of buildings that merge into one building later on is kinda pointless.
GreyGoo does that to some extent with its experimentals. To create the great blob you must fuse 2 big goo mothers and then sit on resource vent for a long time. To create The Hand of Ruk (a flying fortress with unit slots being used as turrets) you need to transform a factory into it. This is pretty cool but its not "I need to transport missile into my missile launcher" this kind of micro is excessive and not very fun.

Return to “Game Development”