Sleepy Game Developer

Sleepy Game Developer

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

fleshtheworld

Sleepy Game Developer

Post by fleshtheworld »

I have been searching for a RTS game engine to use for the past few hours and have settle down to 0AD and Spring Engine. I have done this once before but never got to taking the next step to making a game. I guess I never got to choosing which one to use. So im asking, can I make a game not about combat but about survival? I remember seeing some of the script, armor.lua, stats.lua, etc. or something of that nature. Do I have to use those and follow a certain game mechanic, besides it being RTS in camera view and control? Now since it is open source, and I have access to everything, I assume they are just templates and can make whatever I want but I just want some confirmation. ZzZzZzzz
smoth

Re: Sleepy Game Developer

Post by smoth »

Dunno what you mean by templates but yeah The Lua engine interface allows for a lot.

Not sure what you mean by templates.
fleshtheworld

Post by fleshtheworld »

I mean Template more as in example. I want my own ai, they'll need to take in when to block, etc. But it seems like it's all doable.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

viewtopic.php?t&t=25831

https://code.google.com/p/springtutorialgame/

a wild template appears. Could you proof that you can code? Plans alone dont make a dev. And it doesent make sense to give big advice to someone who is unable to realize the discussed stuff.
Not to discourage you.

We can teach you too code - but we got to know where we are.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:We can teach you too code - but we got to know where we are.
No, we can't. We can point him to resources and hope he reads them is the best we can give him

So you need examples of non-specific things?

There are tons of examples most of us are running gpl, pd, cc etc so our source is typically available for viewing.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Smoth.. i had no idea how to code stuff at the beginning. I even didnt get why the comp didnt realize why names written in upper Case in the unitDef were diffrent then lower case.
University helped me to get there. Thanks to them.
But i still made mistakes enough to work as a red head warning light for years from nostalgia alone.

So yeah, we can help him. Learning Lua. As long as he puts in effort.

HypoCritical Hit for double damage.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Just to be clear, there's no "we". This community is pretty decentralized so don't take anything people say as an answer from the Spring Developers™. Some might ask you to provide more info, some will help while others will just put you down. If you decide to stay here you'll eventually figure out who you want to cooperate with and all I can say is that it's possible to do so with the vast majority provided you've got the patience.

To give my answer to your question, Spring is pretty powerful and modular and you can do a lot of things with it. The fact that it's open source is only a benefit if you want to implement some difficult feature that's not provided by the engine already, but otherwise you can write your game in Lua using the provided APIs: https://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_Scripting + https://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:Main . There's a lot of existing Lua scripts and libraries that'll help you write your game, and it's advisable you rely on that.

I think it would be best to give a detailed story of what you want to do, and we'll be able to tell you whether it's doable or not. With a lack of experience it's hard to tell what's possible (e.g. RTS camera + controls can actually be avoided in Spring with a bit of work), and what might be hard.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I - representing the Subset of all Developers not having a opinion on the matter or a interest in uttering this opinion, wanted to just state the fact that we exist. We are unlikely to engage - one way or another - so let me - in all neutrallness, say :
Hello.

Return to “Game Development”