Submarine Titans, old RTS from 2001- i want to re create it using spring

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

erjcan

Post by erjcan »

hi all, i m newbie to spring rts.

i m a fan of Submarine Titans - it is old RTS - basically "starcraft underwater", it is playable for win98.

Is it possible to COPY or recreate this game for modern machines with SpringRTS?

I see it as a personal challenge to make this game "more modern" ,i.e. accessible for win7 - as i m a huge fan of this game.
even if you launch it now - the gameplay, animation, sounds - everything is awesome!

Silentwings

Re: Submarine Titans, old RTS from 2001- i want to re create it using spring

Post by Silentwings »

Copy, no. Recreate, yes but such things take a lot of hard work. Try something smaller and easier first. Have a look around the wiki https://springrts.com/wiki/Main_Page to get an idea of what spring can do.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

This look very 2D. Spring is more a 3Dish engine.

If you wanted to have Submarine Titans in Spring, I don't see anything (except sound) that you could reuse. So you'll have to recreate everything. How long are the credits of Submarine Titans? How long did its development take? Are you confident that you, alone, can pull as much work as those X professionals working full time for Y months?

And in the end, it probably wouldn't even play like the original, as Spring most likely handle unit collision, flying units, low level AI (what makes unit move and aim and stuff) and all those other myriad tiny things differently.

And then you'll realize you spent all that time on something that you don't even own, and that could be considered illegal.

If all you want is make a Win98 game run under Win7, I'm sure there are easier way.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Yes..

My tip.. use some placeholder models and make a fun placeholder submarine game- then add the models afterwards
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The difficulty would be the vertical movement. For people who don't know Submarine Titans: Because it's underwater your submarines can move up or down. There are five height levels which affect both combat (can only shoot at targets at the same height) and terrain navigation (the subs can't go over stuff that goes to the surface after all). I'm not sure if it had tunnels (would be hard to see anything in those) but IIRC there were stone arches which you'd have to go under.

I think the economy and unit selection wasn't that complicated and would be manageable but the movement would require a ton of work. I don't know how much that stuff affected real strategies though, it might just be an inconsequential gimmick that can be ignored.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Vertical movement does not sound particularly difficult to implement. Here is an outline of what could be done:
  • Use 5 submarine movedefs with minwaterdepth set appropriately. This uses the engines pathfinding for any arc-free underwater landscape you can come up with.
  • Unit movedefs can be modified on the fly.
  • Relevant model, hitbox etc... positions can be mofidied in the script.
  • Use AllowWeaponTarget and some other things to restrict targeting.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Just make your own game *inspired by blah* and go to town bud! Best of luck!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I haven't worked with submarines before, do subs on different heights get to move over each other?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Ah, this is ankward, well KDR_11k.. you remember when you used to ask, where all the little babys come from....
well its basically the same with submarines.. when a mama-submarine, lets say a polaris-nuclar submarin and a papa-submarine love each other very very much, they lay babty-spheres.. lots of them..
Now many of those go nowhere, but some survive and grow upt to become fully functional submarines..
You see.. everyone can be a submarine..
except for uncle kursk, he has a nuclear fuel rod problem..
gajop

Post by gajop »

You don't even need to use *real* water, since everything is technically underwater it seems.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

gajop wrote:You don't even need to use *real* water, since everything is technically underwater it seems.
Well yeah but submarine units seem like the best match for the way this works. Land units stick to the ground and flying units don't path around terrain, right?
code_man

Post by code_man »

Wow i still play this game once in a while, id really find it neat if it were such a thing on spring.

As said you cant copy anything because spring is 3d and subtitans is 2d, so you will have to remake every model.

Tough spring is very flexible, to be true to the game is a bit tricky.
The main problem coming to mind would be submarine height adjustment.
Submarines would need to be implemented as aircraft most likely and i dont know if spring can yet set aircraft desired height dynamicly.
You will probably have to scratch the idea of diving under terrain and a terrain height limit with that idea, but i think its fairly inconsequent.
Also some of the upgrades might prove a bit tricky, like with torpedo upgrades.

And since you are a newbie, spring is fairly easy to use, but a game is lots of work no matter what the engine, do not understimate such a task.
If you are not proficient in programming then i would have to suggest you to drop the idea because you would run into too much trouble eventually.
Otherwise it might be a good idea making a POC project for submarine movement and then the basicly critical part should work more or less.

Usually id offer to help you out, but i have too many projects already and am fucking lazy.

Anyway good luck.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I think it is possible to make underwater variable-depth submarines with movement restrictions based on terrain. I head that lua recently gained the ability to change the movedef of units on the fly. So subs would simply change their movedef when they rise or lower in the water. Sea movedefs have a keel-depth parameter so preventing deep subs going into shallow areas would be easy.

Return to “Game Development”