Dawn of War Soulstorm Remake in Spring - opinions - Page 2

Dawn of War Soulstorm Remake in Spring - opinions

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Dawn of War Soulstorm Remake in Spring - opinions

Post by FLOZi »

Dark_Ansem wrote:I still think it's an impressive open source engine :)
Don't get me wrong, I am evangelical about Spring, and due to the fact that it is OSS and keeps being updated means it is better than ever. But still there are some limitations (mesh deformation being the #1 on most outsiders' lists)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If I wanted to play dawn of war, I would boot up dawn of war, it's as simple as that. Sometimes I DO.

Also lets remember that Dawn Of War developers/current owners aren't the only people who need to be concerned where copyright is concerned. Who cares what Sega says, there's a large profitable company that has a vested interest in keeping its trademarks protected.

And they WILL be interested, people aren't unaware of this engine and we have had projects shot down for copyright and trademark issues here in the past. It is not a theoretical threat.

Having said that, it'd be nice to see games that borrow heavily from DOW's style and gameplay
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

THQ's death isn't really relevant here, Relic still exists, Sega handles them and Sega is licensing WH40k.

I can see the value for an engine change but currently unit rendering in Spring is pretty crap for anything like infantry, AFAIK there's still no full skeletal animation so ripped models wouldn't work at all, you'd have to remake the graphics almost entirely and I'd suggest changing the designs to avoid IP problems then. I have no idea what the current status of melee is but that's a pretty central part of DoW of course.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

KDR_11k wrote:THQ's death isn't really relevant here, Relic still exists, Sega handles them and Sega is licensing WH40k.

I can see the value for an engine change but currently unit rendering in Spring is pretty crap for anything like infantry, AFAIK there's still no full skeletal animation so ripped models wouldn't work at all, you'd have to remake the graphics almost entirely and I'd suggest changing the designs to avoid IP problems then. I have no idea what the current status of melee is but that's a pretty central part of DoW of course.
Mmmh.. Anarchids Blenderexport basically is skeletall animation, though we are still far from ragdollphysix..
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Anarchids Blenderexport basically is skeletall animation
Incorrect. It's just "basically" keyframed animation, but it's no skinning and you cannot use Inverse Kinematics with it.

Afaik Soulstorm didn't have ragdoll, that was added in DoW2.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Basic skeletal anim doesn't involve IK or anything, just rigging vertices to bones and thus simplifying the transformations necessary. Kinda like the piece system but allowing parts of a single mesh to be rigged to different bones. Half-Life 1 didn't even have vertex blending but even that would be a step above Spring's current system.

Return to “Game Development”