Xect vs. Mynn - 0.6 released, now 100% legal - Page 6

Xect vs. Mynn - 0.6 released, now 100% legal

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

an little question=
how have logo_colour_player without ta textures?
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Wow, my first mod controversy. I can't find the texture that appears on Emmanuel's screen shot below in the xect vs mynn tatex directory. I can't even find one that uses the same filename (32xlogos, I think.) On the other hand, I'm not really sure what Emmanuel means. It's not impossible that a texture slipped past me, though I did check the textures pretty carefully.

So I think it is GPL or public domain. Of course, if anyone notices something I have missed, let me know ASAP, and I will fix it.

emmanuel wrote:xsectvsmynn6 =is a illegal release
not respectfull of copyright and law about intelectual propriety
probe by this pic=

i supose that a commercial release is very risky if the proprio of this textur logo want a money procedur

xsectvsmynn is a criminal org of dangerous stealers without moral rules and must be severously punish by international tribunal of La_haye(near to me=i can judge and xecut you) for war crime and crime against humanity
Argh

Post by Argh »

Emmanuel, your mod uses non-GPL textures. Please refrain from making comments about people when you are doing something just as "bad". :roll:

<takes all other modders to one side and whispers>

"Methinks somebody is having a serious case of mod envy, since he hasn't been able to finish anything that actually works worth a darn yet." 8)

I'm surprised he doesn't just camp in the NanoBlobs topic and flame me with trollish words of wisdom like, "You're inspired to make hack-art based loosely on 1950s Japanese toy designs! Evil monster!"

Oh, wait... that would require both research, a real knowledge of IP law, and the ability to write coherent sentences ;)
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

all= if you talk badly about me or my wishes so you are the trolls
foe= i just open yours unit in 3dobuilder and see in texture view WHAT visible is only ota texture(understand this=3do builder can draw only ota textures )

you can t try 3doduilder2.1 for verify my said???
i m care about your legal problem =i just try to help by this
if your units have player color i supose is ota logo
if not how make a logo colored ???
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

emmanuel wrote:all= if you talk badly about me or my wishes so you are the trolls
foe= i just open yours unit in 3dobuilder and see in texture view WHAT visible is only ota texture(understand this=3do builder can draw only ota textures )

you can t try 3doduilder2.1 for verify my said???
i m care about your legal problem =i just try to help by this
if your units have player color i supose is ota logo
if not how make a logo colored ???
Ok, I follow you now. Xect vs. Mynn uses different textures, but they still have the 32xlogos name. So no worries, 3do Builder thinks it is an ota texture because of the name, but it is fact an original Mynn texture by Xenoclone, who agreed to release the Mynn under the GPL.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

xsectvsmynn is a criminal org of dangerous stealers without moral rules and must be severously punish by international tribunal of La_haye(near to me=i can judge and xecut you) for war crime and crime against humanity
i live near (ish) to a mod = i can bans yu foar creims agsnt humnty!!1!1 interntnalls pnishe!11
seriosuly. ban the fool.
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

maybe you must change the name is cavedog think this name is copyrighted...
about the question=how to create a logo colored texture =you can help us ?
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

I'm actually somewhat appreciative of Emmanuel. He was incorrect and somewhat incoherent, but well intentioned. If he finds something that really is OTA content, I don't want to discourage him from informing me through the messageboard.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

emmanuel wrote:maybe you must change the name is cavedog think this name is copyrighted...
If they do, they're wrong. You can't copyright a name like this, and I doubt they'd bother to trademark it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

you can't copywrite the name of a file...

I can name any file I please to iexplore.exe or explorer.exe and no one can do shit about it.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

:o
rudeboy ;D
Tangaroa

Post by Tangaroa »

As far as I know, you cant copyright file names, however, Arm and Core are probably trademarked or something of the sort, along with the Arm and Core Logos.

This is not an issue with third party races, as they can just be removed.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I'm a member of the OpenTaal Project and according to our lawyer it is theoreticly possible to have copyright on a single word under Dutch law.

But if you realy like to protect a word you need to have a trademark on it. Like sony has a trademark on "Walkman" and Atari has a trademark on "Total Annihilation".

Copyright, Trademarks and Patents are sometimes revered to as "Intellectual Property" IP for short.
Intellectual Property on itself has no meaning legal wise.
So if someone start to bitch about violating "IP" that would be bullshit as it is only possible to violate Copyright, Trademarks or Patents.

It would be good if someone with more time on there hands (and an understanding of the legal things) would write down something about it for the Spring project as it seems a lot of people mix things up.

But anyway Xect v/s Mynn is "green" as in ready, free of unclear material?
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

sure logo32 name is not a name proprietabl but if he refere at the same thing as cavedog make so it s under artistic or moral rule=i thing that not cost to you and remove a little but existent risk=think if i talk about this mabe a judge can do too
but i say that because i like not your mod but a 100per100 free legal mod
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I appreciate the time you invest on getting this mod legal.
Of course Foe OfTheBee needs all the credit.
Without forgetting Chris Jorgensen (Xenoclone) for releasing Xect v/s Mynn under the gpl.
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

Now to improve gameplay add units and any cool new features the engine will offer.

Couple points, I think the firing rate of the lasers on many laser units are too slow.

Defensive turrets should have a faster rate of fire and less damage to handle swarms better.

The chaingun tank should have a really fast laser firing rate because it would look cooler.

Solars shouldn't build so quickly.

A lot of the sounds don't appeal to me, but I'm sure Foe will make me change the ones I don't like myself. Piece of cake with Dr. Inferno's new sound packs.

And mad props to Foe for making this work and Xenoclone.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

You are free to improve Xect v/s Mynn.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:I'm a member of the OpenTaal Project and according to our lawyer it is theoreticly possible to have copyright on a single word under Dutch law.

But if you realy like to protect a word you need to have a trademark on it. Like sony has a trademark on "Walkman" and Atari has a trademark on "Total Annihilation".

Copyright, Trademarks and Patents are sometimes revered to as "Intellectual Property" IP for short.
Intellectual Property on itself has no meaning legal wise.
So if someone start to bitch about violating "IP" that would be bullshit as it is only possible to violate Copyright, Trademarks or Patents.

It would be good if someone with more time on there hands (and an understanding of the legal things) would write down something about it for the Spring project as it seems a lot of people mix things up.

But anyway Xect v/s Mynn is "green" as in ready, free of unclear material?
I think it is. I've gone over it pretty thoroughly, and I am confident that it is all free content. I don't think textures having the same filename as an OTA texture matters, when it is in fact an entirely different texture. But I'm not a lawyer...

EDIT: After a bit of research, it seems that I am ok with the filename thing, at least under US law.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-p ... html#title
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Ow b.t.w. under Dutch law the theoretical protection only applys to "new" words.
So for example 'Krogoth' is a new word and therefore could have some light protection under Dutch law.
But hell, in the worst case you have to rename the remake 'Corgohd' or something.
CanadianTerror

Post by CanadianTerror »

I havent looked through the whole thread but I noticed some of Jakalths and my old work (The Rhyoss race) in 3d which i thought was interesting.

Does someone have a link for this as Id like to check this out?

I'm just getting back into the whole TA thing again and I thought I'd have a look here as well...very cool.

I wish we had known about it. 8)

Return to “Game Development”