Changing the map texture?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

yanom

Post by yanom »

So I've noticed that when I terraform things in Zero-K it makes the ground all brick-textured, to look like manmade construction rather than natural terrain. How do I do that? I've got buildings in my game that make the ground around them flatter when they're built, and I'd like to apply a cobblestone or concrete texture to the ground it flattens.
gajop

Re: Changing the map texture?

Post by gajop »

Changing map texture is not easy in my experience.
Not sure how ZK does it (check their code) but I'm doing this the following way in ToolBox:
1. When the game starts I generate new textures for each map square (map squares are rectangles of 1024x1024 size). The reason for this is that for some reason the textures you get by default don't support rendering (FBO disabled or sth). code
2. I set those newly generated textures using Spring.SetMapTexture(tex).code
3. When needed I render to those textures using gl.RenderToTexture(tex, function()). I also use shaders in this step (not sure if it's necessary). code

All this should be done in one of the GL calls, like widget:DrawWorld.

Check my code here: https://github.com/gajop/Toolbox/blob/m ... exture.lua it is complex and ugly atm.

PS: Maybe there's an easier way (read: there probably is), so please share it if you find it :)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Err, wouldn't the simple BuildingGroundDecal tags cover yanom's need?
yanom

Post by yanom »

oooh, that's right. Building ground decals! Do those dissapear after the building dies?

it appears that ground decals aren't turned on in Low or Very Low graphics mode, though. Anyway for the mod to force them to show up? They're kind of important, I don't want users on slow PC's to miss out. I can make them non-transparent and low-res if that helps.

Return to “Game Development”