PETITION - Page 2

PETITION

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Techforge or multiple plants...or BOTH!

Poll ended at 11 Dec 2005, 21:07

Yeay! Techforge was shiny! Give it back! Now!
44%
Neay! Techforge was teh suck! Keep it as it is or DIE!
39%
Stick Both In!!! :D make the techforge 50% or so more expensive than a average plant :D
17%

Total votes: 41

Targ Collective

Post by Targ Collective »

You don't need to worry about that! We all know the individual voter didn't weight the poll.

EDIT: Or rather, weight the way the poll is put. It's just bluster.

The Collective
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Min3mat wrote:it was only 8-4 (against - for) in ur forums! its already 11-5 here! surely u value the opinions of 11 ppl who play spring more than 8 OTAers?
Not entirely true. You see, AA for OTA is downloaded about 6,000 times per version. AA for spring is currently downloaded only about 600 times per version. Each response there represents a larger.. um... whatever. Plus I received a lot of emails on the subject. And finally, there are two or three people whose opinion I value above anyone else's, and they were unanimously opposed to this new idea, even after I'd given them a list of its advantages and let them play around with it a bit.

Tech forges were a good experiment, but they are gone now in favour of the proven method. I've had a half-dozen or so games since I reverted to the old system, and I really do just like it a lot better. And furthermore, I can now log in to TASClient without 8 guys harassing me asking to go back to the old system... And there are a lot more AA games going now than there were before. Usually... I checked at about 1 AM last night and found 5 full AA games and nothing else ^_^

It would be a considerable amount of work for something so controversial, but I'm still considering the option of making both versions available in the future.

[edit]

...and now if you remove the fence-sitters from the equation, it is 9-14. Since the fence-sitters obviously like it as it is but are probably just trying to be peaceful (else they'd say the first option), one might even say it was 11-14. And my vote's worth, let's say... 300. So, it's 311 to 14 :P
Targ Collective

Post by Targ Collective »

No, Caydr, you are the vote. Everything else is just scenery, since it's your mod.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Dude tech forges are awesome.

It makes for much faster and diverse gameplay.

You really should bring them back. Hell make em 50% more expensive, I don't care... But they need to be in there. Hell it's one of the things I liked most about the mod.

Tech forges offer a lot of flexability, and it really makes the game annoying for me because now I have to micromanage my factories instead of my attack forces.

Ta's complexity is a good thing, but when it takes away a bit of the fun, it is no longer worth it.

I for one am very unhappy about them being removed.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

could u think on the expensive techforge idea? it would be pretty good too i suppose i just loved those techforges...
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

NO MORE TECHFORGES

They were a bad idea to begin with
BadMan

Post by BadMan »

Caydr wrote:How about I show you the identical poll which took place at the actual AA forums, but with the opposite request. I've gotta pay more attention to what veteran AA players - WHO KNOW THE MOD - say, rather than new players.
Caydr knows what he is doing.

I, myself, am an old OTAer. I didn't play many mods due to many of them sucking. There were a few that didnt suck. I like AA, TAUCP, Rumad, and handful of others.

To me, the whole point of going 2 separate labs is this: strategy (wtf is strategy). That, and it saves me a few hours navigating thru the many build menus.

1. Kbots can go places vehicles can't. But they (on general) have less HP.

2. Vehicles are stronger (at the general level), move faster on flat land (again, in general) and have more HP (in general terms again!)

IMO, there shouldn't be an easy counter in TA. If they go mass bulldogs, I can go mass shooters out of the same lab. No way, you should have to work to kill your opponent, you should have scouted.

Also, if the map is hilly with lots of steep areas and you go vehicles, you deserve the ridicule and laughter (and possibly a loss). You shoulda went kbot (unless you are planning something devious)

However, the ONLY thing I dislike about the new AA is that lvs 2 and 3 are merged. The lv 3 units were stronger than lv 2. If that is going to happen, a rebalance of the lv 3 units is needed to make it all equal. I liked the previous lv 2 and lv 3 tech tree because it also encouraged more unit diversity. Now we have about 10-20 units to chose from in the kbot and vehicle labs.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Techforges ew.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

BadMan wrote:
Caydr wrote:How about I show you the identical poll which took place at the actual AA forums, but with the opposite request. I've gotta pay more attention to what veteran AA players - WHO KNOW THE MOD - say, rather than new players.
Caydr knows what he is doing.

I, myself, am an old OTAer. I didn't play many mods due to many of them sucking. There were a few that didnt suck. I like AA, TAUCP, Rumad, and handful of others.

To me, the whole point of going 2 separate labs is this: strategy (wtf is strategy). That, and it saves me a few hours navigating thru the many build menus.

1. Kbots can go places vehicles can't. But they (on general) have less HP.

2. Vehicles are stronger (at the general level), move faster on flat land (again, in general) and have more HP (in general terms again!)

IMO, there shouldn't be an easy counter in TA. If they go mass bulldogs, I can go mass shooters out of the same lab. No way, you should have to work to kill your opponent, you should have scouted.

Also, if the map is hilly with lots of steep areas and you go vehicles, you deserve the ridicule and laughter (and possibly a loss). You shoulda went kbot (unless you are planning something devious)

However, the ONLY thing I dislike about the new AA is that lvs 2 and 3 are merged. The lv 3 units were stronger than lv 2. If that is going to happen, a rebalance of the lv 3 units is needed to make it all equal. I liked the previous lv 2 and lv 3 tech tree because it also encouraged more unit diversity. Now we have about 10-20 units to chose from in the kbot and vehicle labs.
Pwnage.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

This gives me an idea. Perhaps we could go back to the 4 level system and add an entirely new set of level 4 vehicles. The most powerful one could use the full 16 weapons that spring offers. ^_^
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I like the tech forge. But rather than adding in the old factories and making the tech forge more expensive, have the tech forge as the 'standard' with KBoT and Vehicle Plants only saving you 100 metal or so.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Decimator wrote:This gives me an idea. Perhaps we could go back to the 4 level system and add an entirely new set of level 4 vehicles. The most powerful one could use the full 16 weapons that spring offers. ^_^
No, that would just be lame.
Doomweaver wrote:I like the tech forge. But rather than adding in the old factories and making the tech forge more expensive, have the tech forge as the 'standard' with KBoT and Vehicle Plants only saving you 100 metal or so.
That would be ever MORE lame, there would be no point in building the other two regular factories.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

18 to 13+5 now, a dead tie...
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Tech forges sound like fun, maybe I should try an older version some day.

I vote for whatever Caydr thinks is best.

Left field idea - bring back tech forge as a cheapish building. But it can't build anything by default. When you build one you choose which vehicles and or kbots it can build, and the actual cost goes up accordingly. If you chose all the vehicles in the level 1 vehicle plant it would cost 20% more than a level one vehicle plant.

As an example you build your first tech forge with con vehicle, jeffy and crasher which works out half the price of a vehicle plant and get started that much quicker. But when you want to build a flash tank, you have to build another tech forge.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Wait, maybe i'm confused. Is Tech Forge only lvl3 or something? I thought it was every level...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

There were four tech forges across four levels.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Buggers... Haven't seen a single Forge-style tech tree game yet. :roll:
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

There was one, but it was singleplayer.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

I think most people want to stick with the intended gameplay.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

well if i play AA i'm only playing it forged styley :D

Return to “Game Development”