The indefinite shutdown of gundam rts.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Hello dearest fans, friends and longtime supporters,
It pains me greatly to make this post. Please be patient as this is a very difficult post for me.

The beginning
7 years ago, back in December 2005, I spent a week evaluating games and engines to find something suitable for a small fan project, a gundam RTS. At the time, fan projects often would die before getting to even a playable state. I felt that by making a truly complete fan project would make Bandai see that Americans do love gundam. I wanted to make moving, fighting fan art, something only a modder of my experience could do. So I started out, I made Gundam Annihilation for TA then came the spring engine, a chance to make a truly free Gundam game!

What are you going to do now?
I'll take the game system I have worked on and do some independent IP project. With my own designs and characters. I will do this because it is my nature to make things. I have not decided on a name for said project just that I know it is an inevitability that I will do something. I am not going into details here as I have no decided what I will do.

I thank all of you for your support.
Last edited by smoth on 14 May 2012, 00:48, edited 5 times in total.
gajop

Re: The indefinite shutdown of gundam rts.

Post by gajop »

have you even tried contacting the new American IP holders? no reason to give up without even trying
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

To be fair, American IP holders own the rights to Total Annihilation too... and... yeah.

There is a chance, with new ownership (and you don't know who these people are, really) that you can finally get some communication going. Japanese companies pay very, very, very little attention to their foreign fanbases (regardless of language barrier), so this may in fact be an opportunity for you. I would, at least, try to communicate with them: This is going to be a new IP acquisition for the company so they're going to want to know what it means for them. I think this is worthwhile for the off chance, if the other option is shutting down the project anyway.

That said, original IP is great, for so many reasons, and I know you will make something really fabulous.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

maybe the day that the TORTUGA ammendment gets passed, you get the chance to revive this..
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

:-( I dont understand what happend from the text.. . Bandai wont respond to you?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Bandai is out of the game- and while they were a player on whos non-action could be counted - the new owner might hammer hart on any "fringers"
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Smoth, I am really sorry this is happening. Although I feel I'm in the same boat as Licho, what happened? Did Bandai tell you to stop or something?

The level of quality and detail you put into your work has always been inspiring to me, and others, and I wish you luck in your upcoming endeavors.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Bandai did nothing.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

So you decided you want to make a game that plays similarly without the Gundam element?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Couldn't you write to the new company asking if they're cool with the continuing development of your project and tell them Bandai were totally cool with it (They're never going to phone up and check). If they're cool with it, then great. If they're not cool with it, then at least you know you're doing the right thing. I guess it could be potentially risky legal ground but in my own opinion, for the amount of work you've put into it it's a risk worth taking and just finding out if they're ok with it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm guessing from the edited status of the OP and the replies Bandai or another company issued a DMCA/copyright notice?

*hugs hard*

I look forward to your new project, I'm sure it'll be kickass
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

GundamRTS is vapourware, just like DNF.

Locked on request.

Return to “Game Development”