Announcement of War To Oblivion Reloaded - Page 2

Announcement of War To Oblivion Reloaded

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Announcement of War To Oblivion Reloaded

Post by smoth »

MicronWars was just dropped as well. Which is why I didn't bother with this thing. I am not going to give a shot to a dev who is constantly dropping projects. I am still pissed at sean for using so much of other's time and then leaving with no explanation.

why do I say taclone? mex mex mex under the screenshots. No discussion of being different from *A so the default economy of spring is assumed.

thus TA clone.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

nah, thats unfair.. by that standard evo and everything else here, even jw, maybe except gundam and kp, is just a ta rip-off.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I wouldn't call it a TA-clone just because they didn't code their own economy.

There is mex-morphing (like Supcom) and no factory assist, so you need to produce quite a few factories as your economy increases. And instead of building a t2 factory you upgrade your factories.

It's a full upfront cost to upgrade though (and expensive, much more than your initial storage) so you need to capture various neutral storages placed around the map.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ta economy
so it has morphing the mex to a mex level 2
no factory assist
and factory upgrade

mkay.

I say ta clone because it uses the default economy. beyond morph mexes which is just a stream line of ta stuff: reclaim mex build better one on old spot. no factory assist, you would not need this if ba didn't have derpy buildtime/resource ratios(not opening it for arguement, it is just how caydr balanced stuff). Factory upgrade, is this a tech level thing or what?

Point is, what are we seeing that is different here? what is different from micron wars? why start a new project? What is different? all questions I have none of which are answered by the first post. The guy is going to barf out some excuse about how no one cares but doesn't make the effort to detail anything to try and attract interest. I think it is wrong to blame other projects for your lack of success. I don't do it and when people do it I get annoyed.

PicassoCT:
Evo requires you to use a power grid to have buildings produce stuff
CT requires you to mine.
swiw, s44 requires you to take flags..
JW isn't done yet so I dunno.
Razorblade

Post by Razorblade »

So, explain me 1 thing, why is it that someone posts an announcement for a mod alpha/beta or whatever version almost nobody even reacts.
But someone posts a stop development and suddenly everybody can post in that thread .People now when to post but they lack the interest in new games
smoth

Post by smoth »

Razorblade wrote:So, explain me 1 thing, why is it that someone posts an announcement for a mod alpha/beta or whatever version almost nobody even reacts.
you nouncin' your mod. Happens all the time...
"but I posted a few shots" (possible next question guess)
of still models.
Razorblade wrote:But someone posts a stop development and suddenly everybody can post in that thread.
You didn't have enough to warrant a post before. Blaming other projects for your own failings urks me, so I replied.
Razorblade wrote:People now when to post but they lack the interest in new games
This comes off as "baww I didn't get enough attention."

Look, I get at least 100 views a day on moddb from people looking at gundam. I see OCCASIONAL posts in the profile. your thread has a grand total of 516 views currently with 24 replies. People lurk and don't say anything. You have given NO gameplay description. You have given no beta. Hang on while I look at your vaporware oh wait I couldn't.

You are upset because no one seemed interested when you have given nothing for people to be interested in.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

That's why I told him to be more obvious with download links:
http://springfiles.com/spring/games/war ... n-reloaded
uamadman

Post by uamadman »

Looking forward to seeing this mod progress.

Cheers,

Madman
Erik

Post by Erik »

If you need any help we could possibly trade some models?
While it is fun to do them its time consuming (and i really like your meridiany vehicles :P).
I could offer some aircraft and tanks.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Razorblade wrote:As of this moment WTO Reloaded is scrapped from development

It is no use to build a mod because everybody is to focussed on BA and ZK
so why should we make a mod that is only played by the devs themselves ?
Funny how ZK is now included with BA as the two popular games without consideration of the past. If only you knew how much time, effort, code, side projects, years, ideas, people, changes, and so on were poured into ZK just to get people to try it. About a hundred times more effort than into BA (no offense intended, BA has had a considerable amount or work over the years). And ZK is almost 25% of the playerbase today which we consider a huge accomplishment.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Great job Razorblade :roll:
do you will now keep doing this?

-> make mod -> wait 1 month -> make it dead.
rinse and repeat.

Dude what the hell?
I am going to make some few effect for it till i am back and now you say this shit?
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

CarRepairer wrote:
Razorblade wrote:As of this moment WTO Reloaded is scrapped from development

It is no use to build a mod because everybody is to focussed on BA and ZK
so why should we make a mod that is only played by the devs themselves ?
Funny how ZK is now included with BA as the two popular games without consideration of the past. If only you knew how much time, effort, code, side projects, years, ideas, people, changes, and so on were poured into ZK just to get people to try it. About a hundred times more effort than into BA (no offense intended, BA has had a considerable amount or work over the years). And ZK is almost 25% of the playerbase today which we consider a huge accomplishment.
This.

ZK had no players.
We couldn't even get a game going every week for a long while.

It's the years of work that people like CarRepairer and Licho have put into the project that allows us to gather players from outside the Spring community and be self-sufficient.

Razorblade: I think you put a lot of work into your game, and that it may not have achieved the amount of publicity and players that it deserves.
That said, to get players for your game, you have to put *real work* into it!

Polish it up!
Make it pretty!
Make it easy to get into!
Make it hard to master!
Make it addictive!
Tell *everyone* on the internet about it!
Make a website!
Keep an autohost running!
Bend over backward to keep your players!

You'll put in a metric ton of work!
You'll have fun!
knorke

Post by knorke »

Originally I wrote more but then deleted it all for this:
A myGame.sdz, even if "perfect", does not make a playable game.
To most Spring game devs the engine, lobbies, autohosts, downloadsystems/sites and all that is static.
They do not have the knowledge or time to adjust them.
Once people realize that and see how it is impossible to make something "polished" it is easy to understand why they stop and go do something else.
And ZK is almost 25% of the playerbase today which we consider a huge accomplishment.
I stopped believing the stats when I noticed that they count empty autohosts or idle players in battlerooms as playtime. :?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Jw has no players, and it has not even a balanced, working version. Do you hear me complaining? Certainly!

Ragequitting before really hitting it off just aint classy. Look at Smoth, or Forb, or Azaremoth and all the others. All pour there workforce in, there love, hourse of hourse of there live, and on the first look they dont get any reward by players playing there games. But for example Gundam and Evo, have gathere a small amount of momentum, and what would be ghosttown servers every day of the week two years ago, is now pretty crowded on saturdays.

This is no sprint competition, this is a marathon, and you have to run it in full armour. If you quit it, time after time, if longterm success doesent dry-hump you two seconds after release, the spring comunity quits you.

If you abandon WTO, at least cotinue poolishing micronwars.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Yeah! Micronwars is fun (i still have no idea what the name refers to lol), someone wants to play that sometime?

But i also realised there are next to no people ever playing the small games out there and there are quite a few that i would try if there were players.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think you put a lot of work
He put in a little work. Considering what it takes to get something really out the door he put in a bit

Maybe we should not get excited when people nounce we should perhaps adopt indifference. I have not seen a single coddled developer finish or even really start(this doesn't count as really started it was aborted in the feasibility phase). Any developer that will stick with a project does so on his own initiative. He has to or he will lack the drive to finish or at least get something real out the door. We should know this by now. All the idiot idea guys all the douches who start and bail after requesting loads of assistance.

I think it is unfair to blame spring/the lobbies when the lack of development stamina falls on these guys who don't knOw what they are signing up for and think this will be fun and games. It isn't development is exciting for a month or so and then it goes to the tedium of completing a project. Which is also why people keep bailing or only doing small projects. After the initial newness wears off it quickly becomes boring.

So I blame the content developer for not *really* want to develop a game, hell most of them can't manage a mod
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Should we blame the goverment, or blame society, or blame the violence on TV? No, blame can-no-doe, blame can-no-doe, those devs aint real people anyway.

But srsly, i think spring has some tissues, although the real ones rarely get adressed. Most important, ist the completely dezentralisation some creation-processes have reached by now. You have to dig through a mile of links and climb a cliff of tutorials, just to get started. And then the result is still mediocre compared what the pros produce, something that is even more demoralizing. The mapping section is not so empty noawadays for a reason.

I know, i still could do the ms-paint job map, but if you look on the ones in the lobby, and compare it to your hours of hard nub work, you tend to loose all hope.

Razorblade, you could at least throw your dead weight into a certain direction. Something shakespearing like "It was the animations-system, the animationsystem murdered my mod!"

So at last it wouldnt die for nothing.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I think it is unfair to blame spring/the lobbies
"blame" is such a hard word. But can not deny that some things that scare off players (interface, not knowing what files go where, so many buttons) also scare off potential game makers.
Also one reason to chose Spring might be not having to worry about all that boring network stuff, multiplayer lobby etc because such infrastructure is already in place.
Well, those things are there but still require much work to actually function:
Keep an autohost running!
Have you tried?
Unless you can keep your PC running 24/7 or rent some server (and know how to remotely do stuff with it) it is not really feasible. etc.
The mapping section is not so empty noawadays for a reason.
All maps are already done, complete with dry, wet and speedmetal variantes.
For *a games there are enough maps to chose from. Other games have their set of maps and are still at a point where most players have not even tried all those.

Beside that, computer projects have the highest deathrate off all that exists in the universe. That is natural.
It is not always because of lacking stamina or too big problems: Sometime things just get boring after you figured them out...
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Well it seem's i will be working on that mod for my own.

So since Razorblade cased the developing of this Mod
therefour i will claim this mod and continue it
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Zombiemod has risen, hungry and brain-dev-ouring.

Oh, also, this files somehow ended up in my mod-folder. Some thieving carrion must have stolen them while they were abandoned, and then dumped them right in my backyard, so that it would look like i would fringe other fringers. You, out there, sneaky thievsy, shame on you, its people like you who bring comunitys down, encourage distrust and hatred! This is not the slightes bit funny. Datalooters and Rioters, for one week the power has been cut, and look the state things are in. The WindowsVersion smashed, the LinxuVersion distributed all over the floor, the sdd emptied, the loadingscreen burned.

Really springfolks, i thought you were better than that.

Also can someone post the link to that StarWars BA you made from that hacked Version of Warlords?

Return to “Game Development”