Absolute Annihilation: Spring[old] - Page 11

Absolute Annihilation: Spring[old]

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Min3mat wrote:same :'( could u put out a vsn of 1.13 which still had them? it made strategy more important than plant choice and stuff :(
Uhm... I could... but it's best to just have one "curret" version. The wants of the many outweigh the wants of the two :P
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

owh...but theres no specific need for seperate plants :( still a well balanced mod i just preffered the old techforge
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

There is strategy in which plant you choose, sire.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

exactly my point :roll: i'd rather that strategy concerned units rather than plants, it makes it easier to create a well balanced army + it makes scouting important since u know u can counter the enemies unit mix once u know it
BadMan

Post by BadMan »

I know, but it makes more sense to split it into two. You decision will be based on the map terrain. If an idiot goes vehicle on a very hilly and mountainous terrain, then they deserve to be owned.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

they do if they build vehicles from their techforge! :P
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Badman, what about the maps that have both hilly and flat terrain? There are a lot of maps like that.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

yeay! decimator vote to get the techforge back!
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

BadMan wrote:I know, but it makes more sense to split it into two. You decision will be based on the map terrain. If an idiot goes vehicle on a very hilly and mountainous terrain, then they deserve to be owned.
I think totally differently.
I'll take Small Divide as exemple.
Begin with a k-bot lab is strategic ? no, it's more than begin with a vehicule lab is not usefull. (there is exception)
So, having a techforge allows to make a few tank when needed add diversity.

On an another hand, 2 separate labs is perhaps better for team play.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Its boring with only one factory. Not enough diversity in different players armies.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

splitting up the tech tree is a crime.

It's the thing I liked most about AA

Back to 1.03
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If there's really so much demand for it, I could make two versions and package them together or something. Would double thie filesize though...
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

It would be best to use only one version. I'd say make a design decision and stick with it. The idea of including a more expensive combined plant seems good to me, or it would be possible to allow any lvl1 unit to build any lvl2 lab, but I don't know what that would do to balance.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Caydr wrote:If there's really so much demand for it, I could make two versions and package them together or something. Would double thie filesize though...
u could make 3 package's

1 --> buildtree with techforges
2 --> buildtree with kbot/veh.
3 --> Rest of the mod

Now u let package 1 and package 2 depend on package 3, this will increase your mod with 100 k or something...
Targ Collective

Post by Targ Collective »

Another way would be to implement my ideas to combine them as a strategy. The downside is they'd need their own skins. Maybe get a silver Adv. Kbot Lab for L1 Techforge and a gold Adv. Vehicle Plant as a L2 Techforge until someone can be persuaded to design dedicated skins for them.

EDIT: My ideas are in the Poll Min3mat got going.

The Collective
Pxtl

L1 Tech Forge?

Post by Pxtl »

Perhaps an L1 tech forge only? The L1 lists are generally pretty short anyways. Could throw in a light hovercraft in there for good measure too.

Then you've got the Tech Forge, the L1 and L2 aircraft plants, and the Vehicle Plant, the Hovercraft Plant, and the K-bot Lab.
Targ Collective

Post by Targ Collective »

The question is now closed, Pxtl. Caydr has decided to lose the techforges, for some very good reasons.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Targ who the heck are you to say that unless you are part of this mod?

AFaIK this is caydr's baby. The question is not closed until zaphod closes the topic or until caydr says so.

Until then... Piss off and don't be a cigarette...
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

The problem with the techforge was that there had to be some units removed.
One, because the menus would be so long as to be hassle to find anything for a while.
Two, because having a lvl 2 artillary kbot and vehicle in the same factory is rather redundant. But if you don't have the kbot you can't bring artillary on mountain assaults and no vehicle means you lack the heavily armored artillary needed for attacking a heavy defensive line. The same can be said of the other roles. I know I was sorely missing several of the units that were cut in the merger.

I do however think a techforge could be useful in AA, giving some of both the greater maneuverability and hill climbinb of kbots with some of the straight line speed and armor of the vehicles, especially in maps with very mixed terrain. I bet if someone made some new (different looking) models for techforges and builders for arm and core Caydr would include them. (You would of course want to talk with him about it first)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Forboding Angel wrote:Targ who the heck are you to say that unless you are part of this mod?

AFaIK this is caydr's baby. The question is not closed until zaphod closes the topic or until caydr says so.

Until then... Piss off and don't be a cigarette...
He's not putting it back.

Return to “Game Development”