whats the license of E&E models ?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

seriously, this stuff is neat. i think its huge waste that these models just sit somewhere on the springfiles and do nothing. could be epic model base for future game devs. so...

are these free to use/modify/eat and so on ?
Pxtl

Re: whats the license of E&E models ?

Post by Pxtl »

Fanger has repeatedly turned down anybody who wanted to take over his abandoned project. His models are his alone.

And yes, I agree it's a damned shame.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

pfff :( just models, not taking over whole game ;_;

bah, sad...

EDIT - btw, whats the newest version, found 0.46. im doing it right ?
smoth

Post by smoth »

The license is closed source, that is fang wish otherwise you would have seen me cleaning up stuff years ago
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Anybody knows whats fanger doing in reallife? Maybee he looks back at us now with diffrent eyes?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Nope fang was pretty straight forward about it last I spoke to him
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

big MEH... oh well.
knorke

Post by knorke »

arent the models/textures partly using TA content?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

knorke wrote:arent the models/textures partly using TA content?
I think his very first set of models used OTA textures, but Fanger re-did all his models repeatedly.
smoth

Post by smoth »

They are not, early on like all projects used to ee had some of the spring stolen content in use fang and I removed it

He created many new custom textures.

The current ee models are from scratch, I know I helped when he had wings3d questions
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah, Fang originally VERTEX EDITED (!?!?!???) models from another mod which shall remain nameless (not *A), who at some point decided that they had a problem with this (regardless of the fact that the models no longer resembled anything even remotely close to what they did originally....

Anywho, yeah, wings3d + fang + smoth = new ee models
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote: Anywho, yeah,(wings3d + fang)^99 + smoth = new ee models
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

It is a shame :( EE is responsible for some of my best memories from spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

IF I see fang again, I will what he will allow me to do but I cannot make any sort of promise.
Senna

Post by Senna »

I had the idea to take this project making it same as the original game, Fanger its a menber of Zuxxez "Phalynx" if i know,
This guy its not a fan of spread source with others, also its a shame that he came out from earth 2150 TMP and LS expansions ,rip the models and etc, need contact with him, i know the answer will say no..
he also made a mod from that series and also didnt gave shit to others, thanks to hackers with years we could get the source reestructuring it from scratch, but even that he made that patch and midle of it abandoned, he came to spring make that mod plus non shared source and also abandoned it, well i dont know maybe he tryed to make the same thing as in the moon project series.

but after he saw this engine its totally differen than the other one he just left it, models and stuff are almost same as e2150 even the sides names
Senna

Post by Senna »

Fanger use same Textures as OPX mod from Zuxxez, he remade all units with it, OPX used the program 3d max studio 3.1 but probably he made a program to be compatible with upspring textures,

guess so being a menber of zuxxez he do that, so nobody can take his textures or models by copyright issues, even he dont had right to do that also but....

Only way its talk with him on http://www.insideearth.net try find on forums a name Phalynx its him
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

tbh i wouldnt make any drama coz of it becouse, first of all, its his work and he got right to not release it. secondly, if what u say is true, creating content similar to E2150 might be another reason (didnt play it tho)
smoth wrote:IF I see fang again, I will what he will allow me to do but I cannot make any sort of promise.
btw, my initial idea was to use these models in knorkes project (basic game for newcommers). stuff got simple, but interesting shapes and could fit every 'universe' pretty well (present times, nearest future etc.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Senna, your english is hard to follow. What are you trying to say, what links do you have to prove your accusations etc?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I call BS on Senna's statements until proof is applied.

@wombat:
The similarities to earth 2150 WAS the reason. It was always supposed to be in the spirit of 2150. It actually shares little in common with it regardless of what senna says, but several of us were big fans of 2150, so EE was pretty natural for us.

But fang was overly paranoid that just because EE was similar to Earth2150, he might get shut down. Moreover, he didn't want people bastardizing his work. Which is very understandable. That is the very reason why evo has the license that it does.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

yah, wasnt sure, didnt play e2150.

also i wouldnt be so harsh. Senna basicly said truth, Fanger didnt share his stuff :P just the tone was bit strange (and engrish).

spring drama!

Return to “Game Development”