The taint of *A - Page 5

The taint of *A

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: The taint of *A

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:As if all the economy, models uiwork maps etc all the shit I do isn't work? C'mon picasso, I am a pretty busy guy.

Was aimed not at you particular, but at this sort of threads in general.
And the singleplayer is what everybody clicks on first. So if you had a interesting Gundamtutorial (just one level, could even end just as a chickenmatch after the basic explains) you would win. Add a matchmaker, and people would play, because your gundam, Sir, looks win.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT wrote:Was aimed not at you particular, but at this sort of threads in general.
And the singleplayer is what everybody clicks on first. So if you had a interesting Gundamtutorial (just one level, could even end just as a chickenmatch after the basic explains) you would win. Add a matchmaker, and people would play, because your gundam, Sir, looks win.
Meh, gundam already has some sp, and chickens, and a single player designed for people to click on first, and TASClient matchmaking (with GRTS filter on.)

So your reasoning fails.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Last release was a huge set of "single player" type support.

from smawth.
- moved over to ftc's varient of chickens for better variety.
- redid the spawns
- added support for different factions based on the faction of the spawner.
- launch spring.exe? You get the spawner ai automagically, no knowledge required..

from ZeeDoubleUZeeEssGee.
- Launch the shortcut. Missions, spawner acess etc
- Lobby shortcut, yep, customized yep.
- Installer? yep
- Readme for help? yep
- menu? yep

yet, still apparently I need to do more, z needs to do more... yet we are the only ones doing it here >:|. Considering that outside of kp and gundam you guys have no one else doing this stuff. :|.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Also, you need to do all the advertising by yourself, and personnaly play every single new players.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You may be able to outsource elements of your project but that depends on the core users who cluster around it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The taint certainly exists, there's plenty of linux games listings that refuse to touch any of us with a barge poll because of 'TA Spring'.

Then theres the people who bawked at the TA economy back in 1997 and played Cossacks or starcraft instead.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So you are saying lack of exposure is why people think spring = all projects look like *A?
In a way. Spring gets plenty of advertising, but its all directed and received mostly by OTA players. Atleast, from what I've seen anyway.
Have some examples you can link me man?
Good gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHothxZQoWo

Bad gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwsXDMB-78
smoth

Post by smoth »

when your work replaces that old assed content I won't mind the comparison though :)
Agon

Post by Agon »

Mr. Bob wrote:
Is this a bad gameplay trailer because I can't watch it?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

its a montage of supcom with some screamo emo XD you are missing nothing.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Point being, a nice gameplay trailer that isn't a montage and isn't a music video goes a long way. Or a cinematic for that matter. That may not be an option ofc.

Proper media advertisement is good. *A games already get that from the old TA fans.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Mr. Bob wrote:Point being, a nice gameplay trailer that isn't a montage and isn't a music video goes a long way. Or a cinematic for that matter. That may not be an option ofc.

Proper media advertisement is good. *A games already get that from the old TA fans.
Still neither of those are really a gameplay trailers. They are merely showing things moving and shooting each other.

But indeed, the first one is something you'd like to see also about spring.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

The first one at least shows all aspects of the game; base construction, the commander, naval, ground and air units as well as some of the game's crazier units (like the walking ships, Monkeylord and the crawling factory tank thing whose name I forget). It also escalates well; from entry, to base, to a gradual build up of combat to Monkeylords and nukes, which also mirrors the intended play of the game (ie you build your base and then chuck armies at each other whilst trying to escalate quicker than the other guy). It also shows off Supcom's sense of scale.

The second one... does none of these things. And it does it whilst distracting you with bad music.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

We still prattling about TA and blah? Isn't that over yet?

IMHO most important direction now is development of a dedicated front-end menu system with an integrated multiplayer lobby. Every other game has it in the world and I know everyone likes to be different and everything but there comes a point when you realize everyone else is doing something because it's a better way to do things. SpringLobby et al can and should be turned into "SpringIRC" clients that contain all of the chat functionality in a Spring-centric way. It can even have a way to view current Spring games, that's awesome. But the actual hosting and joining of games should be solely inside the engine itself. Hell, you could even have a feature in this client to join a hosted game by launching the engine and joining it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

+1 to spike but all we get atm are:
  • Koshi trolling via his springlobby code but never linking/posting anything that is actually useful.
  • An eager smoth frantically demanding progress so he can make his uber dreams come true but languishing when nobody helps ( who knows he may actually have made significant progress, fingers crossed he posts back )
  • Me referencing Spring SP and generally extolling the virtues of the idea, but generally being ignored
  • Someone complaining that it would divide the community
  • A token mentioning of Z's work
  • Some reference to ZK Lobby that is intended to have the same effect as a 'we do that already', yet doesn't actually have anything to do with what this is.
Satirik used to post stuff about his tasclient front end but he seems to have given up lately and just gotten back to actually coding things.
knorke

Post by knorke »

fun fact: this thread and every other annoucing mah blabla thread gets more attention than a thread where people have actually done something.

random complete non-ta game
replies: 16

this thread that does not go anywhere
replies: 98
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats actually the first Ive seen of that, although i tend not to reply to those kinds of threads, as much as I approve
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

tbh i think its bad example coz dude kinda 'asked for it'. didnt talk much but just did his job (i hope he still does)

but ye its shame its unpopular, even if its not playable yet. offers interesting gameplay.

GUESS WHAT KNORKE, U R NEXT ! MWAHAHA !
knorke

Post by knorke »

nah i just got my own empty forumz
also i annouce that i am making a new avatar
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i hate u for this av so much :<

Return to “Game Development”