Game project. Code name : Evolvere - Page 4

Game project. Code name : Evolvere

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Game project. Code name : Evolvere

Post by smoth »

His game

is not

Your game

you can use his art anyway, pretty sure cremuss already said that.

Let him do his own thing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I agree with smoth.

Also if you want a design standard, use kaiser's legos with a skin made by one of your artists then make everything using legos. All of a sudden, it all fits together really nicely, and you can create units in 1/4th of the time it normally takes.

But yes, CA is currently an eyesore because it's like you took a bunch of different types of silverware and made your own set. Individually they look great, all together it looks crappy because nothing matches.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Cremuss wrote:When the game starts, you can choose between different commanders. They all offers different weapons types and gameplay and also it's own power.
Saktoth wrote: Image
Why must every thread explode the moment we mention that 'CA has this' and offer people the advantage of benefiting from our efforts?

Cremuss has helped CA a lot before with models, now the man needs lua. If we coordinate and ensure our work can be used for his project, we can pay him back for all the nice work he's done for us. If you're not going to offer to help him yourself, go wave your placards in protest elsewhere at the prospect of him working with CA developers. Our lua isnt going to taint the idealogical purity of his work, especially since he wants to implement half the things we already have/are planning to.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Why must every thread explode the moment we mention that 'CA has this' and offer people the advantage of benefiting from our efforts?
Because you're the Borg.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Well tbh I would rather see some projects merged than "gun for hire" approach. I mean there are what - 100+ mods? Most of them mediocre, some look spectacular but all have one thing in common - they are unsuccessful and completely unknown outside tiny Spring community.

I want to create something big that gets more popular and known than Spring itself, such effort needs a lot of people working together. It feels like a huge shame to see work wasted on projects that are never finished, never released or never played enough.

For that reason, if your goal is making successful game, I think its valid to encourage cooperation and compromises rather than uniques and originality of sole geniuses.

I know it's impossible. I mean how many BA remakes are there? Most people here are just too individualistic to concede and work together or their goal is just being creative.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Licho wrote:Well tbh I would rather see some projects merged than "gun for hire" approach. I mean there are what - 100+ mods? Most of them mediocre, some look spectacular but all have one thing in common - they are unsuccessful and completely unknown outside tiny Spring community.

I want to create something big that gets more popular and known than Spring itself, such effort needs a lot of people working together. It feels like a huge shame to see work wasted on projects that are never finished, never released or never played enough.

For that reason, if your goal is making successful game, I think its valid to encourage cooperation and compromises rather than uniques and originality of sole geniuses.

I know it's impossible. I mean how many BA remakes are there? Most people here are just too individualistic to concede and work together or their goal is just being creative.
I know and I agree. The problem however is, who is willing to make the compromises? Whose project will be main? Whose things will be "merged," or better expression, "intergrated" into the main project? I dont want to see cremuss fantastic models and gui turned into CA style mish mash

In other words, as Forb and smoth has been taunting you here, your goals and visual style are still far away from each other. You would need to make, imo, huge compromises in order to really work together with same project.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Well CA mish mash is side effect not goal :) Nobody likes it, we all hate it, it's just result of incremental evolution and not enough artistic leadership and coders. Why do you think CA devs expressed interest here? Because we want such GUI or such consistent unit models.

I can speak only for myself, but my only demands for project I work at is that it has to be fun to play and have good replayability and be accessible to players (obviously CA fails horribly in last point). I don't care if game has elves or robots or if units are blue or pink, if it has tech tree or not, whatever plays good plays good with me.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I know and I agree. The problem however is, who is willing to make the compromises? Whose project will be main? Whose things will be "merged," or better expression, "intergrated" into the main project? I dont want to see cremuss fantastic models and gui turned into CA style mish mash.
It's easy: Cremuss does the modelling, and the main gameplay vision. You CA people do the lua grunt work, and the metagame. Oh, and CA is left as it is, I was thinking about that new ZK project or some other spinoff, not CA itself. Anyway, we've been bickering for three pages without hearing from Cremuss, it's getting stupid.

All I wanted to say is that if your project goals are similar, your skill complementary, and you're both looking for help in the other skillset, then maybe you should consider working together instead of modifying your original vision to stear apart.
The funny thing is that half of them will start their introductory post with: It's a community project, I'm just getting the ball rolling but expect other people to contribute. If they not outright ask for more team members.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Unfortunately, I can't really split any of the problematic posts out of this thread as requested because the line between relevance and derailment is obscured by the tight weave of conflicting concepts.

The comparisons between Cremuss' game design and others are no longer helpful. Discussions of project mergers, while potentially productive, have proven immediately distracting. I'd love to talk about it, but I don't think we should at this juncture in this thread because it has derailed the discussion.

Until Cremuss' next post in the thread, barring a direct and useful response to his earlier posts, I recommend there be no further posting.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Hahaha, I laughed :mrgreen:

I didn't expect my thread to be so... alive :D

Simply, the only difference here if I join CA or if not is, if I do, I'll need to "fight" to make what I really want even if I'm sure they'll let me have a great liberty. But if I don't, then I'll just be able to really do what I want, and CA'll be able to only pick up what they want and what they like from my stuff (models will be released really soon under a free license) and that's the solution I choose.

I just asked myself If I was ok to concede some of my ideas and design considering the time I'll spend on that project, and I'm not :mrgreen:

I don't want to compete with CA, in fact I'm sure we'll be pretty close :P

Anyway, discussion closed :)
I Spent the last few days learning the basics of svn... finished every cons and 1 commander, updated the gui a bit. Models released sooOoon :-)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

/me cant wait
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Glad to hear that Cremuss. Looks great so far :-) I'm already dying to play it, so when you want a tester, jsut yell at me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

The buildings look incredible and the UI (although not implemented) also looks amazing, keep the the good work...ps me for testing :D

Get yourself a game forum setup?
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Blender file, png and .xcf (gimp source) files released here under free art license 1.3 :
http://cremuss.free.fr/finaloutcome/sources/

SVN is here :
http://code.google.com/p/finaloutcome/

Contains every models you already seen, plus 2 commanders, land cons, naval cons and air cons.
It is not finished, some models/textured needs some tweaks/improvements (especially with animated parts revealing AO glitchs). Also, scripts and unitdef are not "working", it's just a basic general file to upload it in spring, so don't expect to put all of these in spring and have a working game or even working units :D.

But anyway, have fun with it, hope you like it :)
I take a 2-3 weeks break because I've some other business to take care but I'll be around here to check if you have any problems or question

cya
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Woo! I'll be looking forward to reverse engineering your UI when you get that up and going. 8)
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I took a look at it. This is utterly superb stuff, it cannot be overstated just the level of quality this work brings to Spring. Your project can really compete with commercial RTS's with these models.

One thing i noticed though is that you are using different models and textures for units like air factory 1, air factory 2, air factory 3: when the difference between these appears to be a few aerials poking up from the structure.

Perhaps you have already realised this, but you may eventually start to run into problems with texture memory (as CA has), as you start to approach a high unit count. These textures are just variants of eachother with sections blacked out, so its probably good practice to just have them share textures, as long as the AO bake looks alright. You can also afford to reduce your texture 2's size, since you dont need that much detail in a tex2. This might not be a problem for you for a long while, but its something to keep in mind.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

great, now im at work, cant see anything, and im rly curious about commanders :(

ET GO HOOMEEEE
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Can't wait to see this working as a game :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

why i cant open blender files :o

nvm, works now.

and models are epic D:
Wartender