Spring WD, the return. - Page 3

Spring WD, the return.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Spring WD, the return.

Post by zwzsg »

FLOZi wrote:G_Z hasn't visited in over 10 days, so we can probably assume he's disappeared back into the ether. 8)
He's such a long standing modder, I'm sure he'll be back.

GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:What are the standards today? especially for UV mapped models? what software is the standard? Rhino3D still good?
I don't think you can do UV-mapping in Rhino3D. Nor meddle with, uh, normals and welding and smooth or hard edges and those kind of things I don't have experience with. I'd recommend using Wings3D. Wings3D is simple enough to become quickly productive, yet Wings3D is powerful enough to cover all your Spring modelling and unwrapping needs. It just has all that is needed, and none of that is un-needed , which is a plus, that way you don't get lost in a maze of menu. You'll need a tutorial open for your first models, because modelling in Wings3D is done in a different way than in Rhino3D, but after maybe 2 models you'll manage alone. If you've never done it you'll need to read a tutorial on UV-mapping in Wings3D, but Wings3D unwrapper is so nice to use you could almost do without help.

Some people model with Blender. Blender is much more powerful than Wings3D. However, half of Blender possibilities are irrelevant for modelling Spring units. And Blender has an horrible interface, while it's said to be efficient once your learn it, learning it is a real obstacle.

Of course, there's plenty of other quality modelling software out there, and I bet many can do UV-mapping, but then not only you'd have to buy it, but you'll also be on your own to learn to use it, while there's lots of Spring-specific Wings3D help and tutorial around, since that's what the majority of Spring modders use.

Oh and AFAIK you still need UpSpring to convert models to s3o, though there's an ongoing coding effort to remove that.

Otherwise, you need a image editor than handles alpha channel. Gimp would do it, but if you have photoshop, that's better. Personnaly I use an old Paint Shop Pro to draw images, and Gimp only to assemble the 4 channels and save (as the non-sensical interface of Gimp is highly irritating, items are never in the menu they ought to be).

And a text editor. I'd recommend Notepad++. While it doesn't seem much at first, using Notepad++ instead of Microsft Notepad or Wordpad to type your FBI and TDF and LUA really does make a difference on the long run.

For writing unit animation scripts, you can still use Scriptor. People will tell you to drop Scriptor and to write animation script in Lua instead. Sure, that's a possibility, but if you have 8 years of experience with Scriptor, do you really want to have to re-learn how to write an animation?

Wings3D, Blender, Gimp and Notepad++ are free.

UpSpring and Scriptor are getting lost in the depth of Spring forums & wiki dead links.

There is a Subforum: Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources, Spring's wiki, and lastly, don't forget googling for tutorials.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

He may just be busy with the Army. They kind of schedule your time for you.
TabloMaxos

Post by TabloMaxos »

WD is back?Finally good news!!

I'd like to help I have some models (from my try to make a mod ) here is my moddb profile with pictures. If you would like help please let me know!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

TabloMaxos wrote:WD is back?Finally good news!!
ProTips:
- When someone makes a "I'm back" thread, it means he won't stay more than a couple days.
- When someone announce a new mod soon to come, it means that mod will never be released.

If WB were back, then the first post would feature a download link.
pawelnrg

Post by pawelnrg »

zwzsg wrote: ProTips:
- When someone makes a "I'm back" thread, it means he won't stay more than a couple days.
- When someone announce a new mod soon to come, it means that mod will never be released.

Right!!! then no point to have hope. ;(
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I played your WD for OTA to the death, looking forward to a reboot. :mrgreen:
albator

Post by albator »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:I played your WD for OTA to the death, looking forward to a reboot. :mrgreen:
same !!
cannot wait
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

albator wrote:
Wolf-In-Exile wrote:I played your WD for OTA to the death, looking forward to a reboot. :mrgreen:
same !!
cannot wait
ProTip #1: The last post was 5 months ago
ProTip #2: Read zwzsg's ProTips
ProTips:

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Brutal.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Neddie wrote:Brutal.
Doin it rong
pawelnrg

Post by pawelnrg »

but if anyone make continuation of WD Mr. GrOuNd_ZeRo make a protest. and say: "is My mod and My work".
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

RL really got in the way again but I hope and pray I will have the time to do stuff now.

I've been having some fun with playing an old version of WD on Spring but ever since I got Spring 0.8 I have problems getting it to show up as a mod.... :?

But I'm ready to work on it, contact me on ground_zero_7777 at Yahoo.com, i'll be available on Messenger.

WORLD DOMINATION IS BACK...it was just on hold due to RL...
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:ever since I got Spring 0.8 I have problems getting it to show up as a mod.... :?
modinfo.tdf must be replaced by modinfo.lua (and the syntax is slightly different).

Your next problem will be that your start units won't spawn.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

lol I noticed, I figured the modinfo.lau out but how do I get units to show without using cheats?

Atleast I can still test it.

As for the ideas on the sides as shared in a PM with n3mesis.

as it stands right now I want the sides to be like this;

-US
-England
-Germany

VS

-Russia
-China
-Venezuela/Cuba etc

The problem I have with France is is that they keep out of most wars and had little involvement with the war on terror etc, I would love to include french units so perhaps a EU side would be better.

As for Mospact we could have Russia/China be one side and South America the second.

I would love to have 2 other sides that emphasize low-tech and improvised weaponry much like the GLA in C&C Generals but ofcourse with a more realistic twist like Pickups converted to Technicals.

I will post this in the main thread.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I figured it out already but thanks guys.

Most of the missile-based weapons are broken so my time is cut out for me to fix that.

N3mesis is willing to make models for me so hopefully we can make something that rivals Spring 1944.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Alright, though I will want his help with Italy. 8)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I just want to play the faction with the Eurofighter Typhoons.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I am now openly recruiting for 3D modelers, coders, texture artist etc.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i suggest u just ask what u need (concept, pics?) and hope someone will do it, most ppl are busy with own stuff so it will be hard to find someone just for ur project.

Return to “Game Development”