Fly/Land at Airports

Fly/Land at Airports

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Fly/Land at Airports

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Asked this in the question thread but it got pushed behind by other posts. So I'll ask again:

I've noticed that in BA, for example, the airports have the Fly/Land Button, and that this button determines if the aircraft made will land or continue flying after they're made.

How would I make an airport do this? MoveState doesn't seem to deal with this, and making the airport able to fly sure doesn't either.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Fly/Land at Airports

Post by CarRepairer »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:Asked this in the question thread but it got pushed behind by other posts. So I'll ask again:

I've noticed that in BA, for example, the airports have the Fly/Land Button, and that this button determines if the aircraft made will land or continue flying after they're made.

How would I make an airport do this? MoveState doesn't seem to deal with this, and making the airport able to fly sure doesn't either.
You'll need to make a gadget that assigns "idlemode" to a unit based on the factory that built it.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Awesome. I've avoided dealing with gadgets and the like because I know my script-fu is nowhere good enough for it. That is unfortunate. Guess I'll have to go without for a while...
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

it will be like 10-20 lines of code....

just when a unit is created set it to the state of the factory that built it.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

His script-fu is no good! He needs to run around in the grass just outside the gym and fight some more Pidgeys and Rattatas.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I have been waiting for this for years.

I would love a C&C style land/reload/repair facility so aircraft are not as over powered.

My script-fu is definitly weak, LAU? don't even know what the acronym means...lol

Anyone ever made it work? what about realistic take off and landing? I.E. conventional.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Yes

In S44 we had a fully working "airport". Each contained a set number of "parking spots" so the airport could only hold a certian number of planes; planes were built in a "hanger" and then taxi'd to their parking spot. You could select the plane and give it an order - it would then taxi to the runway and take off like a normal plane, running down the runway and ascending gradually for lift-off. Landing was the same, would approach from the end of the runway and touch down (and even had a little tire skid sound when it first touches down XD) and would roll to a stop then taxi back to its parking spot.

However for the entire thing to not look stupid it had to be an enormous fucking building that was like the size of a 1x1 map so we scratched it in favour of the current system where Air Sorties are called in from an Air Control-type building, planes fly in from off-map and have a timer, ie 5 minutes, during which time you can control them and whatnot, and when timer was up they'd return and fly back off the map.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:I have been waiting for this for years.
For modern weapons you really are going to find what scale you want to work with. I'm planning on a modern warfare like game at a large scale 1 elmo = 100m so it will focus on air craft combat radius and ballistic missile ranges, but this will make land base weapon system (infantry and tanks) at a ridiculously point blank scale (less than 100 elmos!!).

So I think, from other WD (TA mods) and the old port for spring that you plan on having a much closer scale of land based units, and therefore a realistic (to scale) air and artillery support would use a lot of 'off map' resources such as s44 has for air support.

Is that correct?
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Btw, here is youtube vid of the airfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCx-8lpN8nY
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I like how Xiaohong has reminded the community of how lost I was at the beginning of working on CT.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Yes

In S44 we had a fully working "airport". Each contained a set number of "parking spots" so the airport could only hold a certian number of planes; planes were built in a "hanger" and then taxi'd to their parking spot. You could select the plane and give it an order - it would then taxi to the runway and take off like a normal plane, running down the runway and ascending gradually for lift-off. Landing was the same, would approach from the end of the runway and touch down (and even had a little tire skid sound when it first touches down XD) and would roll to a stop then taxi back to its parking spot.

However for the entire thing to not look stupid it had to be an enormous fucking building that was like the size of a 1x1 map so we scratched it in favour of the current system where Air Sorties are called in from an Air Control-type building, planes fly in from off-map and have a timer, ie 5 minutes, during which time you can control them and whatnot, and when timer was up they'd return and fly back off the map.
Now if we had people who love there work, they would have taken this masterpiece, put it outside the map, and have a second camera on it, showing the aircraft lift of, everytime a airstrike is called.
Outside the map, there is plenty of space.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

deep maaan

Return to “Game Development”