Battletech - Page 14

Battletech

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

What weapon stat system should we base it on?

Poll ended at 26 Sep 2005, 00:17

Tabletop Battletech
56%
MW2
17%
MW3
17%
MW4
11%

Total votes: 18

esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

you could have mechs have an invisible laser that does a bit more damage than an infantryman's health with an extremely short range... that's how the Talon does it ;)

also this would simulate damage to normal tanks, but you could disable that with special damages.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

Also, dont change anything substantial about the gameplay, as ppl voted for having the tabletop version, we should stick with that.

tbh, the mod is hot damn awesome in its present state.
It allows for such a great variety of tactics, unlike any other mod, scince the units are so clearly distinguished on every level.

As for the mech variants, how about adding a hvy assault ER-PPC mech?
If you can animate the PPC that is. I always liked them in mech-commander, i think they would be a fine addition. There was also a PPC tank if i remeber right, the rommel or shrek or something.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Kodiak, Goshawk... pretty much anything!

One note about the crushing of units, which I've gotten to work a few times but only between a rotating commander and infantry... I assume this is currently the only melee combat possible. However, when the changes to allow Melee go through, do you plan to implement melee between mechs as per the Battletech system? I've always found it quite enjoyable to run up to somebody after you'e lost your arms and just kick them repeatedly.
2pacalypse

Post by 2pacalypse »

I just tried this with some friends, and have come to the conclusion that a dozen barracks spamming LRM infantry is pretty much unstoppable. How are you supposed to counter them? They just mash everything in their path, including Battlemechs.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

Infantry is stopped by scout tanks, auto cannons, planes, WALLS!(draon teeth), and anything that outranges them, like light missile tanks.

Supposedly you should be able to run them over too.

I fell for the inf spam too, ut the light scout tanks are an excelent counter early on, and later on you just need to outrange the inf, scince it has such bad LOS.

My only crutch with inf is the fact that the CLAN inf is way better than the IS inf, thanks to cloaks and lasers and teh fact that IS machine gunners and scouts are not able to shoot through eachother.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

FINALLY DONE!

Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Please say that its got to LRPPC's. I always outfitted my MadCats with those. Also MechCommander was a cool game, and I spent five hour's replaying the third level so that I could get a cockpit shot on the mad cat at the end, and there forecapture it intact. Then the rest of the campain was a cakewalk. My light mech's ran interference, then I'd blow the enemy in half with my Mad Cat. Very fun, and satisfying.

Also Mad Cats = The greatest mech ever. Anyone else think it just LOOKS the best? Oh and the Battletech game for Sega was the best as well. Napalming an enemy mech is the best, but I just love how cool that game was. I mean, just play it and realize that it was very very cool. Go find an emulator and play it, I say.

But my overall point is: Good show!
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

OMG :shock:

Thats what i meant when pointing out that UV is technicaly superior.

Wolf is superior too of course. :wink:
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

veyr nice, now i just need to fix the s3o :P
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

I hate saying hawt secks to describe the awesomeness of something, but to be honest. Little else does the job.

Hawt Secks!!! XD
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Much more effort then needed put into the bottom of the feet :P

Looks awesome.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It's good but it could use a bit more color, it's too monochromatic right now. Try adding color from ambient light (e.g. green/brown around the base, more bluish towards the top) and maybe a few random colors.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

You know KDR... thats because he hasn't got the team colour showing up.

(Can we have one with team colours now please?? this is to good, I need more.)

aGorm
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Zoombie: I'm not sure what variant it will be; the current version is the Prime config, lasers and LRMs.

KDR: Well, its supposed to have some teamcoloring like aGorm said so don't worry.

This is a little embarassing, but i've recently got hit by a virus and I had to reformat. Then, I decided to upgrade to WinXP SP2, but now I can't run Upspring so I can't test the teamcolor/reflect maps.... :?

Anyway, splash screen :-)

Last edited by Wolf-In-Exile on 13 Sep 2006, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Thats not in game is it?
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I wish. :P
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I wish spring had those graphics.. How the hell do people do that stuff?
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

In this case? Probably Photoshop.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Its still the greatest!
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

:shock: Holy damn that looks impressive

Return to “Game Development”