Skripting

Skripting

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Erik

Skripting

Post by Erik »

How does it work? Where to get examples?
I would like a sample script for a tank if possible.
Would be very nice and helpfull if someone could show something to me.
Argh

Re: Skripting

Post by Argh »

http://springrts.com/wiki/Mod_and_Unit_ ... evelopment

There are a number of examples, although I'd be the first to say that nobody's even written a Maestro-level tutorial about BOS for Spring yet.

For an ultra-simple tank (no cool animations, just the basics of turning a turret and a barrel to aim):

Code: Select all

piece turret, barrel;

Create()  //What happens when we get made?
{
  //In this case, nothing, but most scripts set up Pieces here for animation later
}

AimWeapon1(heading, pitch)
{
  turn turret to y-axis heading speed <50>;  //turn the turret towards bad guys
  turn barrel to x-axis 0 - pitch speed <30>;  //turn the barrel up / down
  wait-for-turn turret around y-axis;  //wait for that turret to get there!
  wait-for-turn barrel around x-axis;  //also wait for that barrel!

return 1;  //returning a value of 1, in the context of AimWeapon scripts, means "shoot a shot now!"  returning 0 means "can't shoot for some reason!"
}

Killed()
{
  explode turret type FALL;  //fall off and bounce around!
  explode barrel type SHATTER;  //turn into tiny flying triangles!
}
Last edited by Argh on 23 Aug 2009, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

might want to declare the other pieces that are used too
Argh

Post by Argh »

Only two pieces are being used. If you want to talk about flares and expand that example a bit, go right ahead, though :-)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

look very carefully at your script argh

Mistakes like that CANNOT be made when you are tutoring a new scripter.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes, I used "gun" and where I should have used "barrel". Oops!

At any rate, I think we need to develop a training program for this area of Spring, walking people through the concepts.

It's non-obvious, non-trivial, and the existing materials are really fragmentary and hard to learn, and the few people who know how it works don't ever explain it to anybody else, or provide examples that are so advanced that it's hard to understand if you're brand-new.

I tried to do this with NanoBlobs, but I don't think it ever made much of an impact, as most newbies couldn't get their heads wrapped around it.

If nobody gets around to making one, I'll get to it in a month or two.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Hopefully lua will slay the BOS beast anyway
smoth

Post by smoth »

but no the nub coder :\.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Error (20): Unknown identifier SHATTER [ C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ErikMesserli\Desktop\NWO\SPRING\Testmod\Scripts\Testscript.bos ]

One or more errors occured while compiling the script.
Error on compiling it
whats wrong here?
Also whats the name to save it as? Any as long as its stated in the unit file?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

FLOZi wrote:Hopefully lua will slay the BOS beast anyway
Sure, Lua is such a fierce beast, poor simple bos stands no chance.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The compile error is because you're trying to invoke a constant that isn't defined. Again, I apologize, a lot of this is second nature to me.

So, let's talk about constants.

SHATTER is just a pseudonym for a constant. Spring has a large number of constants which have a very specific, engine-based value- i.e., some constants do things in the engine, depending on the context.

Here is my current list of Spring's constants. I think it's up to date with Spring 0.80.2:

// Argh's Standard Commands Script
// This script is released under the terms of the  WORLDBUILDER license.

#ifndef STANDARD_COMMANDS_WORLDBUILDER_H_
#define STANDARD_COMMANDS_WORLDBUILDER_H_
//
// Vector-based special effects
//
#define	SFXTYPE_WAKE1		3  	// Calls Spring to show a standard FX if the Unit is over water (may show on water surface if on land, use with detection methods) 
//
// Point-based (piece origin) special effects
//
#define SHATTER			1	// Has odd effects in S3O, due to triangular models.  Use with caution.
#define EXPLODE_ON_HIT		2	// DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY IN SPRING, REFERENCE ONLY
#define FALL			4	// The piece will fall due to gravity, based partially on myGravity value
#define SMOKE			8	// Creates 1 "smoke" particle each frame at the Piece's center, using standard values, as of Spring 0.75b2
#define FIRE			16	// Creates one "flame" and one "smoke" particle at the Piece's center, using standard values, as of Spring 0.75b2
#define BITMAPONLY		32	// DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY IN SPRING, REFERENCE ONLY
#define NOCEGTRAIL		64	// NO CEG FROM PIECE EXPLOSION
//
// Bitmap Explosion Types
//
#define BITMAP_WORLDBUILDER		10000001	//This is for any call to a BITMAP event, however it's not really necessary.  Just for helping out older conversion mods. 
//
// Indices for SET/GET value
#define ACTIVATION		1	// SET or GET, used by all scripts that call Activate() through UI or BOS command
#define STANDINGMOVEORDERS	2	// SET or GET, now works in 0.75b to SET all states (Hold Position, Manuever, Roam).  Values 0, 1, 2
#define STANDINGFIREORDERS	3	// SET or GET, now works in 0.75b to SET all states (Hold Fire, Fire at Will, Fire Back).  Values 0, 1, 2
#define HEALTH			4	// GET or SET, in 0.74b or above.  Can set the hitpoints of the relevant Unit.  Use carefully, can create odd behaviors.
#define INBUILDSTANCE		5	// SET or GET, used to tell Spring that a Factory is now able to build objects and emit nano-particles.
#define BUSY			6	// SET or GET, will operate in Spring to pause loading state, for flying transports only.
#define PIECE_XZ			7	// GET, for position calculation, returns two values, XZ, in packed coordinates.
#define PIECE_Y			8	// GET, for position calculation, returns one value, Y.  Good for height changes.
#define UNIT_XZ			9	// GET, for position calculation of Unit, reads from centroid of Base.
#define UNIT_Y			10	// GET, for position calculation of Unit, reads from centroid of Base.
#define UNIT_HEIGHT		11	// GET, for position calculation of Unit, reads from Unit's current height value.
#define XZ_ATAN			12	// GET atan of packed x,z coords.  Good for angular changes over time.  Not fast math, use with care.
#define XZ_HYPOT			13	// GET hypot of packed x,z coords.  Good for angular changes over time.  Not fast math, use with care.
#define ATAN			14	// GET ordinary two-parameter atan, as integer.  Runs most efficiently if sent raw values- i.e., 182 instead of <1.0>
#define HYPOT			15	// GET ordinary two-parameter hypot, as integer.  Runs most efficiently if sent raw values- i.e., 65536 instead of [1.0]
#define GROUND_HEIGHT		16	// GET, asks Spring for value of GROUND_HEIGHT based on map values
#define BUILD_PERCENT_LEFT		17	// GET, returns a value from Spring stating how much of the Unit has been built.  Only returns every SlowUpdate, however.
#define YARD_OPEN			18	// SET or GET.  Spring defines squares as "open" or "closed" for pathfinding purposes based on that state.
#define BUGGER_OFF		19	// SET or GET, causes Units around the Unit if SET to 1 to try to move a minimum distance away, when invoked!
#define ARMORED			20	// SET or GET.  Turns on the Armored state.  Uses value of Armor defined in unit FBI, which is a float multiple of health.
#define IN_WATER   			28	// GET only.  If model centroid Y < 0, then returns TRUE (0 Y is the water level).  Better detection methods exist.
#define CURRENT_SPEED  		29	// SET or GET.  Can return the current velocity in raw format.  Useful for checking acceleration values, etc.
#define VETERAN_LEVEL  		32	// SET or GET.  Can make units super-accurate, or keep them inaccurate, and also effects hitpoints.  Use with care!
#define MAX_ID			70	// GET only.  Returns maximum number of units - 1
#define MY_ID              		71	// GET only.  Returns ID of current unit
#define UNIT_TEAM	         		72	// GET only.  Returns team of unit given with parameter
#define UNIT_BUILD_PERCENT_LEFT	73	// GET only.  Like BUILD_PERCENT_LEFT, but comes with a unit parameter.
#define UNIT_ALLIED		74	// GET only.  Is this unit allied to the unit of the current COB script? 1 = allied, 0 = not allied
#define MAX_SPEED 			75	// SET only.  Alters MaxVelocity for the given unit.  Can be SET to anything lower than the max. speed in FBI, value of 1 == 0
#define CLOAKED			76	//SET or GET.  GETs current status of cloak.
#define WANT_CLOAK		77	//SET or GET.  GETs current value of WANT_CLOAK (1 or 0)
#define GROUND_WATER_HEIGHT	78	//GET only.  Returns negative values if unit is over water.
#define UPRIGHT			79	//SET or GET.  Can allow you to SET the upRight state of a Unit.
#define POW			80	//GET the power of a number
#define PRINT			81	//Special, read below:

/*Prints the value of up to 4 vars / static-vars into the Spring chat.  Very useful for debugging.  

Usage is:

var myTest;
myTest = GET POW (262144, 32768);
GET PRINT (myTest)

Would return:
"Value 1: 131072, 2: 0, 3: 0, 4: 0" to the Chat interface.*/

#define HEADING			82	//SET and GET.  Allows unit HEADING to be returned, SET to value of previous HEADING every frame to keep units from turning.
#define TARGET_ID			83	//GET.  Returns ID of currently targeted Unit.  -1 if none, -2 if force-fire, -3 if Intercept, -4 if the Weapon doesn't exist.
#define LAST_ATTACKER_ID		84	//GET.  Returns ID of last Unit to attack, or -1 if never attacked.  Could theoretically be used to implement special control over weapon systems for a Unit, but I have never seen this done yet.

#define LOS_RADIUS			85	//SET.  SETs the LOS Radius (per Ground).  Could be used in conjunction with Activate().
#define AIR_LOS_RADIUS		86	//SET.  SETs the LOS Radius (per Air).  Could be used in conjunction with Activate().
#define RADAR_RADIUS          		87 	// SET or GET, just like the Unit def.
#define JAMMER_RADIUS          	88 	// SET or GET, just like the Unit def.
#define SONAR_RADIUS          		89 	// SET or GET, just like the Unit def.
#define SONAR_JAM_RADIUS       	90 	// SET or GET, just like the Unit def.
#define SEISMIC_RADIUS          		91 	// SET or GET, just like the Unit def.
#define DO_SEISMIC_PING		92	//GET (GET DO_SEISMIC_PING(size)) Emits a Seismic Ping.  Can be seen by all players regardless of LOS.
#define CURRENT_FUEL          		93 	// SET or GET, Fuel level is currently (0.75b2) being used for Aircraft only- when 0, Aircraft return to an Air Repair location.  Could be used for dynamic fuel based on time of flight (as opposed to weapons use) or for more detailed control over weapons than Spring's defaults.

#define TRANSPORT_ID		94	// GET.  Returns ID of the Transport the Unit is in.  -1 if not loaded.
#define SHIELD_POWER		95	// GET / SET.  Manipulates Shield, if Unit has one, good for timed Shield disruptions.  Set to 0 every frame if you want to keep a Shield down for some reason.
#define STEALTH                   		96 	// set or get
#define CRASHING                  		97 	// set or get, returns whether aircraft isCrashing state
#define CHANGE_TARGET            	 98 	// set, the value it's set to determines the affected weapon
#define CEG_DAMAGE                	99 	// set
#define COB_ID                   		100 	// get
#define PLAY_SOUND		101	//GET only.  Plays sounds via these instructions:

/*
1) Adds a new get call, PLAY_SOUND, to play a sound that can be heard only by allies, enemy, in los, etc.
2) changes get health to allow a unit ID to be passed
3) adds a call to create() at the end of ReloadCOB

GET PLAY_SOUND(sound number, volume, who hears the sound, where to play the sound)

To set up sounds to use with GET PLAY_SOUND, put a function like this near the top of your bos:
Sounds()
{
play-sound ("movement", 10);
play-sound ("pew", 10);
play-sound ("reporting", 10);
}
The sound number is based on the order the sounds appear, staring from 0. To call the songs by name, add #defines like this:
Sounds()
{
play-sound ("movement", 10);
#define movement 0
play-sound ("pew", 10);
#define pew 1
play-sound ("reporting", 10);
#define reporting 2
}

To actually call the sound, you use a line such as this:
GET PLAY_SOUND (pew, 655360);

1) sound number - as above

2) volume - similar to the volume for play-sound, more affecting the distance where it is audible than actual volume
- given as a float multiplied by 65536

3) who hears the sound
0 = anyone with the unit in ALOS
1 = anyone with the unit in LOS
2 = anyone with the unit in ALOS or radar
3 = anyone with the unit in LOS or radar
4 = everyone
5 = the unit's allies
6 = the unit's team
7 = the unit's enemies

4) where to play the sound
- if 0, the sound is played from the unit's position
- if 1, the sound is played directly from the speakers, the same way unit replies are*/

#define KILL_UNIT			102	//GET.  Kills the Unit this frame.  Supplying no unit number kills the calling unit (for convenience). Returns zero if the target doesn't exist.
#define ALPHA_THRESHOLD		103	//SET or GET.  Changes the glAlphaFunc to use that alpha value as its minimum. 
#define REVERSING		109	//GET.  Returns Reversing state.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////LuaCOB
#define LUA0			110  // All are SET / GET, for passing args to LuaCOB interface.
#define LUA1			111
#define LUA2			112
#define LUA3			113
#define LUA4			114
#define LUA5			115
#define LUA6			116
#define LUA7			117
#define LUA8			118
#define LUA9			119
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#define FLANK_B_MODE             	120 	// set or get
#define FLANK_B_DIR              		121	 // set or get, set is through get for multiple args
#define FLANK_B_MOBILITY_ADD     	122 	// set or get
#define FLANK_B_MAX_DAMAGE       	123 	// set or get
#define FLANK_B_MIN_DAMAGE       	124 	// set or get

//Weapon Modifications, via COB
/*All of these use the first param (starting at 1) as the weapon index whereby positive means read and negative means write the second param to the value. 
In the latter case the previous value is returned.*/
#define WEAPON_RELOADSTATE 	125 //(frame number of the next shot/burst)
#define WEAPON_RELOADTIME 	126 //(in frames)
#define WEAPON_ACCURACY 		127
#define WEAPON_SPRAY 		128
#define WEAPON_RANGE 		129
#define WEAPON_PROJECTILESPEED 	130

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////Signal Definitions below.  Can be any power-of-two for OTA, may in Spring be any integer.
#define SIG_AIM1		2
#define SIG_AIM2		4
#define SIG_AIM3		8
#define SIG_AIM4		16
#define SIG_AIM5		32
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////LuaCOB, standard calls (mod-specific, this needs to be hacked by designer, unfortunately poorly documented by me)
lua_PlayUnitSound() { return 0; }
lua_PlayLocalSound() { return 0; }
lua_PlayWorldSound() { return 0; }
#endif // STANDARD_COMMANDS_WORLDBUILDER_H_

Usually, I just use an include statement, to include this big chunk of script every time I compile an animation. This means that I don't have this giant wall of text in every script, and can maintain it all in one place. When Spring adds new constants, or changes the behaviors of old ones, I update the file. The include file, which I've attached to this message, can just be dropped into your scripts/ folder of your game.

To get the specific animation to use it, you'll need to change that script a little bit.

Here is an example, using that first example to build on:

#include "STANDARD_COMMANDS_WORLDBUILDER.h"

piece turret, barrel;

Create()  //What happens when we get made?
{
  //In this case, nothing, but most scripts set up Pieces here for animation later
}

AimWeapon1(heading, pitch)
{
  turn turret to y-axis heading speed <50>;  //turn the turret towards bad guys
  turn barrel to x-axis 0 - pitch speed <30>;  //turn the barrel up / down
  wait-for-turn turret around y-axis;  //wait for that turret to get there!
  wait-for-turn barrel around x-axis;  //also wait for that barrel!

return 1;  //returning a value of 1, in the context of AimWeapon scripts, means "shoot a shot now!"  returning 0 means "can't shoot for some reason!"
}

Killed()
{
  explode turret type FALL;  //fall off and bounce around!
  explode barrel type SHATTER;  //turn into tiny flying triangles!
}
Attachments
STANDARD_COMMANDS_WORLDBUILDER.h
(11.32 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by Argh on 23 Aug 2009, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Erik wrote:
Error: Unknown identifier SHATTER
I doesn't know what does SHATTER mean. Copy that file into the same folder as your bos, and write #include "springdefs.h" at the top of our your bos.
Attachments
springdefs.h
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

zwzsg wrote:
FLOZi wrote:Hopefully lua will slay the BOS beast anyway
Sure, Lua is such a fierce beast, poor simple bos stands no chance.
It is better in the long run to have 1 scripting format for unit animations, defs, and game scripting code for newbies to learn than a multitude of formats most of which are specific to a 12 year old game and won't be seen anywhere else - even if some of us are well adapted to them, and even if some of us have wracked near impossible things from them. :P
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

An advantage of the Lua system probably is you no longer are bound to a decade old Windows software. I'm still curious how good it will perform...

BTW:
I decided to start the Wiki cleanup with a good guide / manual about all the COB scripting. Who would be the scripting gurus here I can ask some in-depth question like about signals and if things like the Bitmap1-5 definitions being just there for TA compatibility...
Last edited by Master-Athmos on 23 Aug 2009, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

If you all want to talk about that, we can start another thread.

My opinion is that one of the primary goals of Spring 0.9 is to either get MD5 support working, or a new, Blender-friendly format working, that finally allows for IK and vertex animation techniques (that aren't a monster pain in the arse).

Hell. All we technically need is vertex interpolation code between one mesh and another, and I think S3O could be animated with BOS and show / hide, because IIRC the tristripping always operates in the same order (iow, the display lists would remain the same, if you have two different poses of the same base mesh).

But that's a side issue, and well outside the scope of this newbie's requests, k?
Erik

Post by Erik »

ok so i followed the "simple mod tutorial"
i added all the required files ( at least i hope so) but on running it it gives me multiple errors:

[ 0] missing return table from gamedata/modrules.lua
[ 0] Error loading modrules, using defaults
[ 0] missing return table from gamedata/modrules.lua
[ 0] Parsing definitions
[ 0] [string "gamedata/parse_tdf.lua"]:58: could not find key
[ 0] Failed to load moveDefs
[ 0] error = 2, gamedata/defs.lua, [string "gamedata/defs.lua"]:37: [string "gamedata/defs.lua"]:25: error = 2, gamedata/moveDefs.lua, [string "gamedata/moveDefs.lua"]:21: Error parsing moveinfo.tdf: missing file
[ 0] Caught content exception: [string "gamedata/defs.lua"]:37: [string "gamedata/defs.lua"]:25: error = 2, gamedata/moveDefs.lua, [string "gamedata/moveDefs.lua"]:21: Error parsing moveinfo.tdf: missing file
what do these mean?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Those errors mean you're missing a few files that you need.

There are several minimal game packages available, which contain all of the basics.

This one is something I built to for a tech demo, but is equally useful for your purpose of getting something working for the first time.

Simply download the file, and change out the references to "glsl_test" to whatever you want to call your first Unit. You need to write a Unit TDF or Lua file, and change the reference in Gamedata/SIDEDATA.TDF to make things work.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I'm probably a day or two late in saying this (as you've already put some effort into cob from what I can see) + I have no experience with either cob or the new Lua animation system (so this is NOT coming from an expert).

Nevertheless I would still advise you to use the new Lua animation system... http://springrts.com/wiki/Animation-LuaScripting.

Edit: I was mistaken in saying Spring: 1944 has unit's using it already (was confused as they are making use of the new reverse driving function). I guess if there are no examples round yet, that might be an argument for sticking to cob for now...
Edit2: hah, found one after all, in a branch of their SVN. So go for it, be at the cutting edge of Spring animation ;) !
Erik

Post by Erik »

I tried the above example mod but it doesnt show up in the spring lobby.

Edit: nvm i got it.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Glad to hear you got it running (that's how I understood you anyhow). If you get a few of your own set up, give a shout - I'm thinking of learning it as well!

Return to “Game Development”