Sprite Unit?

Sprite Unit?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

JLHack7

Sprite Unit?

Post by JLHack7 »

I asked this question in the "Fun idea based on a GBA game" thread (go there if you want clarification on what I mean by "sprite unit") but I got no answer.
D:

Anyone know how I would do this?

Preferably the shortest way possible, if there's no way to do it without going through a 30-step process, jumping through a flaming hoop, making 500 mexes and then blowing them all up, compiling the picture of the boom into a COB, and then jumping off a cliff, and then erasing all your nicely built features if you make a mistake (reference to World Builder, where when I tried to make an advance wars-ish map, I had to get rid of EVERYTHING just for misplacing a road. :<) then I'd prefer a faster route, but if there isn't one, then I'll go with it.

offtopic: Argh make a worldbuilder that allows you to be human plz, or if there is some hidden way to erase a single feature without nuking everything, tell me so I can make my advance wars style map.
maackey

Re: Sprite Unit?

Post by maackey »

a sprite unit would be easy: make a square panel in your favorite modelling program, and give it the texture size you want. Scale the square face(s) to be the entire size of the texture (overlap them if necessary, you can make sure the facing is right using the groups of letters if they need to be two sided) and splat your sprite right on there (and then scale it to size) :wink:
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

maackey wrote:a sprite unit would be easy: make a square panel in your favorite modelling program, and give it the texture size you want. Scale the square face(s) to be the entire size of the texture (overlap them if necessary, you can make sure the facing is right using the groups of letters if they need to be two sided) and splat your sprite right on there (and then scale it to size) :wink:
I probably should have clarified this before, it should always face the camera.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Argh make a worldbuilder that allows you to be human plz, or if there is some hidden way to erase a single feature without nuking everything, tell me so I can make my advance wars style map.
Sorry, I simply didn't realize that this wasn't really obvious. To delete an object, simply click on it and self-d. Then CTRL-C to re-select the Editor Daemon :-)

For certain objects like the roads, you need to click and drag to select it, because the origin's underground.

So, no need to get it perfect the first time. Just save your new version and put it into the map, done.

I'll put a "destroy this" button into the UI, though, since I'm reworking that for the next version anyhow.

As for sprite Units... that's easy. Just take my code from PURE_StatusDisplay.lua and make a simple change, showing a specific graphic for the Unit beneath the healthbars (i.e., set up in Initialize()). There ya go, full-colored sprites, and you could even do team-color as a border or something, that's all very easy OpenGL.

Then just have invisible, animation-less Units, and you're done. It'll look pretty awful unless you use a restrictive camera angle, but whatever, it'll work and it's simple. I really don't know why you want to restrict the visual polish of your game designs that much, that's like early 1990's graphics style, like the early "3D" Bullfrog games... but there you go- it's really very straightforward to implement.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Argh wrote: insert lots of text here
Thank you!
That's exactly what I needed.

I'll reply to this thread with results later.
I'm a hotel now where they have a bandwidth cap per guest. (66 kbps :<)
I had to reformat and haven't had the chance to download Pure yet, but there's no way in hell I'm doing it with that bandwidth cap in place.

I'll be home (and back on a broadband connection) sometime over the next few days, so I'll get back to you on that.

Return to “Game Development”