Punish mod hijacking - Page 5

Punish mod hijacking

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Re: Punish mod hijacking

Post by Gota »

I think there were a few complaints about me releasing a fake BA so i rereleased it with a different name clearly stating its a modified BA.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yep and that makes it a valid fork, considering it is just for demonstration and not to take over the project. Again you probably should get noize's permission first but hey it isn't an ideal world.
vampi2

Post by vampi2 »

Well, how many modder ever asked for TA designers (or other game creator) permission before modding ?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

vampi2 wrote:Well, how many modder ever asked for TA designers (or other game creator) permission before modding ?
That's something completely diffrent, also let's not start that drama here.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Don't argue with him, he can balance the game better than any of you. He was in PRO. How many of you were in PRO?
smoth

Post by smoth »

vampi2 wrote:Well, how many modder ever asked for TA designers (or other game creator) permission before modding ?
How colossally ignorant of you. Games do have to give permission for modding, often times without the company's support you cannot mod a game at all. So yes they have permission to mod the games otherwise there would be no mods.

As far as the *A mods go, yeah people mod them all they want. BA is not a game it is a modification of stolen TA content. So yan was modding a mod, which really should have been a mutator instead of a whole mod.

most of the non-ta projects here are games in their own respect. Many of which do not permit modification.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

smoth

Post by smoth »

olololollololollooolol
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

GOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOOGGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOG
vampi2

Post by vampi2 »

smoth wrote:
How colossally ignorant of you. Games do have to give permission for modding, often times without the company's support you cannot mod a game at all. So yes they have permission to mod the games otherwise there would be no mods.

As far as the *A mods go, yeah people mod them all they want. BA is not a game it is a modification of stolen TA content. So yan was modding a mod, which really should have been a mutator instead of a whole mod.

most of the non-ta projects here are games in their own respect. Many of which do not permit modification.
Sorry, but i'm not totally ignorant in that sort of things. I mod since 1988, you see, then i think i know a few.

You write companies have to give their permission because you can't mod without company support.
I'm sorry, but you can mod without support of the company. More the game is hard coded, less you can mod, but that's it.

And their is the fact some company hope for sell their engine.
Remember you can mod Dark Reign 1 because Auran used non hard coded files and wanted to sell their engine.

You write also BA is made my modifying what you call "stolen content". How can it be "stolen" if we have permission ?
Don't eat yourself you feet, man.

And last thing : A mod of a mod is just a mod. Just give it a new name, explain what is the original and what difference you do, and deal with it.
Eh, i mod for TA3D, and i don't put licences on my work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Holy shit either you are a troll or stupid.. cue pic ...

They do not have permission to use the TA content outside of ta NO. That is why I call it STOLEN because it was.

Companies have EULA that prohibit you the end user from deconstructing their executable and modding it. They can pursue legal action if you do.

The companies sell their engine just fine where you pulled that bit of crazy from I have no idea. That does have anything to do with anything.

No, you misunderstand the point of a mutator. If you mod a mod then you only change a few things. A mutator is just the modified parts of a mod. It is a mod of a mod.

seriously, you do not know what you are talking about please stop.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

smoth wrote:Companies have EULA that prohibit you the end user from deconstructing their executable and modding it. They can pursue legal action if you do.
I have both OTA discs, there's no EULA on program start or in a readme or otherwise.
smoth

Post by smoth »

odds are that nice copyright notice attached to the game name probably has it covered chief.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

The Fat Controller wrote:I have both OTA discs, there's no EULA on program start or in a readme or otherwise.
WRONG. the EULA is on page 57 of the TA manual.
The TA Manual, pg57 wrote:2. Restrictions: The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets, and other proprietery material. You may not decompile, modify, reverse engineer, dissasemble or otherwise reproduce the Software except as expressly allowed by us. You may not rent, lease, sublicense or distribute the Software. You may not electronically transmit the Software from one computer to another over a network.
Last edited by Pressure Line on 23 Dec 2008, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

/me grins.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

A random side story, I played on an emulated Everquest server for a year or two (a big one with hundreds of players http://www.shardsofdalaya.com ). The creators attitude was that if you owned the original game you could use content files for whatever non profit entertainment you liked, it actually got busted by Sony a few years ago and the only legal action they requested was to have every mention of the name 'Everquest' removed from the front page of the website, their legal notice never mentioned the content or requested that the actual game world was shut down - so they removed the reference to the game from the front page and stuck a word filter on the forums and Sony haven't contacted them since.

This is how I feel about playing BA, I own the OTA discs and technically have the right to enjoy the content how I like - especially as this was actively encouraged by Cavedog at the peak of the games success.

Edit: Interesting, in my defense I don't believe I ever had a manual :| I got them in some budget section of a game shop a few years after the game was released and pretty sure they just had a paper slip or something inside - also this is completely off topic!
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Check on the CD, there was a PDF version of the manual on the "platinum" version of the CD's ;)

/me clings to his release-day OTA cd's (which are now scratched beyond repair) and the box, and the manual ^_^
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheFatController wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, I was just stating things as they are, after all I doubt Atari gives a fuck. It is just that to me, I care about it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Pressure Line wrote:
The Fat Controller wrote:I have both OTA discs, there's no EULA on program start or in a readme or otherwise.
WRONG. the EULA is on page 57 of the TA manual.
The TA Manual, pg57 wrote:2. Restrictions: The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets, and other proprietery material. You may not decompile, modify, reverse engineer, dissasemble or otherwise reproduce the Software except as expressly allowed by us. You may not rent, lease, sublicense or distribute the Software. You may not electronically transmit the Software from one computer to another over a network.
It's not an EULA because you don't agree to it and thus it's not binding, it does state the intentions of the copyright holder though and this is enforceable as far as copyright law allows.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

...By using the software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this license. If you do not agree to these terms, promptly return the product in its packaging to the place where you obtained it.

Return to “Game Development”