round based mod

round based mod

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

manolo_

round based mod

Post by manolo_ »

hi,

i just wanna know if its possible to make a round based mod (something like FF tactics or stuff)
REVENGE

Re: round based mod

Post by REVENGE »

manolo_ wrote:hi,

i just wanna know if its possible to make a round based mod (something like FF tactics or stuff)
lua
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

WTB final fantasy tactics type game/mod/engine
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

manolo_ wrote:hi,

Yes
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I wholeheartedly support this vague notion.

technically spring IS turn based but the turns happen automatically 32 times per second (or something like that anyways)... very doable in LUA but I'm not sure pure turn based would work... have you seen Bang! Howdy! or Penny Arcade Adventures 1 & 2? They have very interesting tactical combat that has a "cool down" between moves... kinda a "real time turn based"... might work better.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The turn based element is going to be one thing but the behavior systems will have to be completely re-written and the map format is not well suited for the FF-tactics styled aesthetics. I do thing turn based would be neat for someone to use but it would also be a lot of work. Let alone something meant to emulate ff. I think it is doable, the question has been asked before. The question is, if you guys really want it, why not try and make it? It would be a learning experience!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Why don't you use a more appropriate engine, such as, I don't know, this one?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Hmm... it could be possible to implement a real-time/turn-based hybrid similar to the Combat Mission series using something roughly similar to this:

Orders phase, Action phase.

In the Orders phase, the game is paused. Players issue orders; when done, they hit a ready button. When all players are ready, the Action Phase begins

In the Action Phase, all the orders given out in the Orders Phase are executed simultaneously in real time. The Action Phase lasts for a certain length of time (In CM, it was 1 minute I think...) before the Orders Phase recommences.

Repeat until a player wins.

The actual code would involve pausing the game for the Orders Phase and stopping players issuing orders in the Action Phase, with some extra stuff for the 'Ready Buttons' to end the orders phase. (This relies on LUA being able to pause the game; not sure if it does...)
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

zwzsg wrote:Why don't you use a more appropriate engine, such as, I don't know, this one?
Cuz' it's ugleh.
smoth

Post by smoth »

can any of you make great looking art? nope? so it doesn't matter.

anyway, it wouldn't hurt to work out concepts while you wait for someone else to implement the stuff. Just a thought.
Gota

Post by Gota »

How is space measured?What is the smallest distance unit in spring?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

im happy, that u discuss that in such a constructive way. tbh im a big fan of these tactics stuff (e.g. ff tactics for gba). but i have no exp. in programming, lua, coding, modelling or stuff, just in playing :)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

wesnoth dusnt support lua hackery and its damage calculation is borked + yes its ugly (and making sprites that look good is more of a PITA than modelling) and it works with hexagons not squares
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

REVENGE wrote:Cuz' it's ugleh.
The point of a mod being the swap the art asset while keeping the engine, that remark is irrelevant.
Otherside wrote:wesnoth dusnt support lua hackery
Since manolo never specified his mod must be LUA based, that remark is irrelevant.
smoth

Post by smoth »

if he is going to do lua then he can also alter the code to wesnoth.. blah blah blah.. he can alter westnoth, pray he doesn't alter it further etc.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

this deals getting worse all the time :(
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, westnoth really is better suited for that sort of thing... but spring can be MADE to do it but who is going to do the work.

machio we do not even have melee(in before that bullshit hack with multiple weapons). I could use melee for my next planned project.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

smoth, could you make a replay which shows precisely what doesn't work with melee and upload it to mantis? and next time instead whining "melee is b0rked" just paste the link to the bug :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not appreciate the whining comment, not appropriate.

I have given detailed statements several times about what is wrong, I do not know what where they are(I know convenient) I cannot make any promises, health permitting, tonight I am going to look in to doing that for you. Forgive me if I cannot, I am really quite ill and I have not been able to work on gundam but like 2 days in the past month.

I remember I was talking with someone who was interested at looking at fixing the issues. I cannot remember who it was, are you the guy?
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

it was just a reply to the quote :(
I don't know anything about the rest, I gave up on round based games after repeatedly getting kicked for pausing.

Return to “Game Development”