TA clash? - Page 2

TA clash?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

lurker

Re: TA clash?

Post by lurker »

To give each faction a texture atlas and combine factions only when it will fit should be quite easy, though possibly time-consuming. That should solve 90% of faction-adding issues.

As far as scripting, have fun. :P

I definitely wouldn't mind the visual quality in these units, especially if they had nice CEGs.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

I still have an old talon file of working units, and i was hoping he'd release a new version with some of the newer units hes been bragging about in TAU, but as far hes concerned, this is a dead project, and I'm not authorized to give it to anyone without TROS permission.

The only reason I am saying this is because: Talon is the best third party race hands down, and I have it, and your not getting it. >_>
lurker

Post by lurker »

Why can't you? Parts aren't working?
Argh

Post by Argh »

possibly time-consuming
More like, "time-consuming in a major way". It's because of the stupid way that 3DO textures have to be labeled- if 3DO textures could have the same names as their actual names in the 3DO, it would be a million times easier and faster. It's just pure grunge-work as it currently stands, however. Terrible system, frankly, which is why when Fanger did new textures for E&E, he simply replaced old textures with the exact same names (er, at least as of the last time I paid any attention).
lurker

Post by lurker »

You missed what I was trying to say. I'm talking about making Spring load the textures from each faction into a separate atlas, barring major overlap.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Ah, so you'd just designate that in the FBI? That'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but it wouldn't really take care of the problem.

Try modifying a 3DO in UpSpring sometime, see what happens. Just change one 3DO texture to another one, with the standard 3DO texture collection.

The problem's really simple- Spring expects all of the texture names to be "blahblah.whatever", where blahblah's arbitrary, and whatever is whatever image formats DeVil and Spring can use correctly.

However, in UpSpring and in 3DOBuilder, the texture is named "blahblah00.whatever" on export, because that's the name of the file in terms of what Spring wants. While this probably *sounds* minor, it isn't. I'm pretty sure that JC was asked to fix this, because it's gotta be trivial- if the first two characters of the filename before the file extension == 00, then use that name exactly. However, last time I checked, about a year ago, this was not working right.

Trust me, there's a *reason* why I dropped all of that stuff a year ago, and was hoping treeform would make his tools available- between problems with maintenance of texture-atlas stuff, UpSpring's fairly weak UI for handling texture groups (it works, but badly and barely), and 'orrible conversion problems, it went from being just minor-ly annoying to Too Much Work, especially considering that most of the models' quality as meshes left a lot to be desired. So, I was hoping that treeform would release his converter, and at least allow us to get ready-to-skin versions of the models out, then with minor cleanup, mirroring fixes, etc., it'd be ready to skin, and meh, then it'd be straightforward- I'm sure plenty of people would like to try skinning a Bantha or whatever, if it was fixed up and mapped. But he went AWOL on me, leaving me hanging, so I dumped that project into the pile of Things That Could Wait, and here we are again.

I dunno why it's never been fixed, but it should be. Just giving new atlas locations and freeing us from the tyranny of sheer texture space, while great... is not going to make that big of a dent in things, imo. Otherwise I'd have converted the vast majority of things by now, frankly- model-side, once every single condition is fulfilled (and for stuff like Bleacher, that's hours of grunt-work) it's not so bad. It's just all of the crap in-between that makes this a pretty nasty problem.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

wow, i didnt think this idea would be that popular :lol:

Well, i really dont know how to use Upspring, i find it confusing. Modeling and texturing have the same answer. But i am quite good with balancing and fbi's. if anyone would like to give me some help in honoring the older factions, just say so (i will use all the help i can get.) i will also need links to some factions, and a discussion with TRO. using factions that have already been ported into spring would make my job easier, such as the TLL.

and, thanks guys, support means a lot to me...
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

How about help XTA implement new factions, since its like the best *A mod, and thus a good starting point. Its also the best-looking mod, with best gameplay.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i like the XTA idea, but would that be ok if i used XTA material?

i cant get to the 3dos or the textures, 7-zip isnt doing it
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Zoy64 wrote:But i am quite good with balancing
I looked at your last mod, and no, you're horrible at that too.
Zoy64 wrote:Well, i really dont know how to use Upspring, i find it confusing. Modeling and texturing have the same answer.
So you can't do anything.

Like I said, if you just dump old TA races into Spring, tons of little things will break. And to understand why they break and how to fix them, you need deep knownledge of Spring modding.

So this isn't the magic solution to make a huge mod with no effort. Unless of course you're no concerned at all with broken releases.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

zwzsg wrote:
Zoy64 wrote:But i am quite good with balancing
I looked at your last mod, and no, you're horrible at that too.
how so?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I don't want to dwelve too deep into it because it is painful, but, taking just the cheap units from the first factories, two virus (metal cost: 6M) can kill one peewee (metal cost: 86). The mod is so buggy you cannot even see the virus shots, but they deal nice damage with pinpoint accuracy.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

well, it was hard to balance that. I wasnt entirely done
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

LOL
Tribulexrenamed

Noruas wrote:LOL
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

Trib, just drop it
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/fil ... _Clash_v1/

here is the beta release.

there are will be more content added.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Were there any attempts made to balance it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Argh wrote:
possibly time-consuming
More like, "time-consuming in a major way". It's because of the stupid way that 3DO textures have to be labeled- if 3DO textures could have the same names as their actual names in the 3DO, it would be a million times easier and faster. It's just pure grunge-work as it currently stands, however. Terrible system, frankly, which is why when Fanger did new textures for E&E, he simply replaced old textures with the exact same names (er, at least as of the last time I paid any attention).
more or less, it would be pita to go and redo the textures for all models.
Tribulexrenamed

Gota wrote:Were there any attempts made to balance it?
Zoy is t3h uber balancer, no?

Return to “Game Development”