Evolution RTS V100 beta testing

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

About the end of august (after 77 and the PURE release), the next version of Evolution should be ready for beta testing. This version will introduce music to the game. I have 2 professional quality composers, as well as the music that I am doing personally, working on this, and should have roughly 20 or so tracks by then. This version will also feature the new GUI (Thanks to argh for supplying the backend for this) which will tie up everything quite nicely.

There will also be a nice voiceover tutorial explaining how the game works the first time you start it up, which should help out a lot for those of you who are not aware of the little complexities that are hard to just "Know".

This release also will be featuring the new terra raiding mechs as well as true nuclear silos, atmospheric control stations (meteor showers anyone?), and hopefully some larger incentives for taking and holding control points, and 20 new maps Dedicated to Evolution.

Along with this there will be some redesigns of eco units and such.

For those of you who have wondered, the last two version numbers are actually .00 for example the current version is listed as v75, it's actually .75, I just don't care for the decimal places :-)

I will need some fairly dedicated testers for this, because there are bound to be a dozen things that I don't catch. I need both offline and online testing for it. If you are interested in helping out, I would really appreciate it if you could speak up here so that I know who to contact for future reference.

Thanks
clericvash

Re: Evolution RTS V100 beta testing

Post by clericvash »

Keep me down for one, i will help as much as i can.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

i'm in:)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :-)

I have roughly 60 some odd percent of this stuff implemented so far, and after playing 4 vs 4 with rai's (100 handicap) I must say that things are going really really well so far. Hopefully this trend continues :-)

THankfully most of this stuff is trivial to implement, just time consuming. If you like you can generally keep tabs by watching svn (if you care enough :-)). My commits tend to be quite massive.

/ramble

tl;dr

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

what was evolution rts?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Hoi

Post by Hoi »

i suggest you fix the installer/auto updater, it does not go to the correct folder auto and extracts to evobase.sdd which should be comprimised and renamed to evo.sd7/sdz becaus it doesnt work like this
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Evolution does not use sdz or sd7, it uses .sdd

All you have to do is double click and start hitting next, you don't even have to read any of it. It automatically finds the correct directory

if you installed to a different directory than springs directory (which is very clearly stated at the top in the installer) then you need to uninstall and reinstall it.

But tbh, when installing all you have to do is click next, this includes updating... Next, next, next, next, etc :-)
Elkvis

Post by Elkvis »

This makes me very hard.
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

I'd like to test.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Er, forb, SDDs don't get hashed properly for performance reasons. If you get lucky they get the same checksum, if you have no luck people will get red Xs for no reason.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Not true.

Open the bat file and take not of what it does every time you update. This causes it to hash. No one has ever had a problem with non-hash.

Please, if you're gonna try to poke holes in a proven system (as of several months now), please be aware of what you are talking about, otherwise it potentially damages the credibility of the system.

I accounted for hashing before I put this updating system in place.

Return to “Game Development”