EE is back in development, Check page 6 - Page 5

EE is back in development, Check page 6

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you care

I do.
67%
I dont.
17%
wait what?
16%

Total votes: 129

smoth

Re: Why EE development has ceased (for anyone who cares)

Post by smoth »

SwiftSpear wrote: Gimp's pretty good. It's not quite as clean and polished as CS3, but it's good enough that it doesn't feel like you're sacrificing all the way back to ms paint. The only thing you really lose is a few filters, brushes, and masks.
I would completely disagree.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Yeah. Open source products do a wonderful job of imitating 8-year-old software. The trick is that, for 90% of users, that's the featureset they use anyways.

I mean, Photoshop 5.5 was pretty damned good, as was Word 2000.

However, professionals will miss the newer features that were created for their use-cases. Hell, look at OSS games - the good feature-complete ones look like a PC game from about 2000.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Pxtl wrote:Hell, look at Spring games - the good feature-complete ones look like a PC game from about 2000.
/sarcasm (sortof)
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Pxtl wrote:Hell, look at Spring games - the good feature-complete ones look like a PC game from about 1997.
fixd
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

IMO Gimp has probably all the feature you need, the issue being to manage to find them in the horribly wrongly disorganised GUI.
Fanger wrote:.. also I have no idea where I was at or what I was doing or how to do stuff or where to start..
You were to add the lesbian moon knights.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

IMO people who say GIMP is all you need aren't doing much texturing.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

KDR_11k wrote:IMO people who say GIMP is all you need aren't doing much texturing.
+1
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Hoi wrote:
1. I cant play spring
what kind of computer do you have? i cant think of any computer that cant run spring, and if thats the problem, just buy one, and if money is the problem, just buy a crappy one with 1ghz or something, cheap and it runs spring
go EE!
orly?
I own about 7 or 8 computers that cant run spring and their combined value is around 30k USD.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

that's a lot of SCSI drives, there.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

If I got Gimp to use.. that would actually set development back another year.. cause that program is about as useful for texturing as toilet paper and a pencil..
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

main problem with current release is op aliens; they can spam their basic light combat form all game and win quite effortlessly- deci agreed, pintle put it down to their epic range- nobody bothered teching to t2 aliens or armoured forms
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Its not the range, they are outranged by GD, or they should be, its the damage. The aliens across all 3 tiers have their damage formula borked.. They are supposed to essentially fall between GD and URC in both range and damage, while being slower, and having more HP and costing more per unit. However I messed up the damage when I did the whole transfer to epic scale. So now the aliens have range between URC and GD, but more damage than GD. This is why they are OP for the most part. I havent gotten around to doing anything about it for a variety of reasons mainly stemming from its tedious and timeconsuming to change that many damage values.. I will get around to it..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Tribulex wrote:
Hoi wrote:
1. I cant play spring
what kind of computer do you have? i cant think of any computer that cant run spring, and if thats the problem, just buy one, and if money is the problem, just buy a crappy one with 1ghz or something, cheap and it runs spring
go EE!
orly?
I own about 7 or 8 computers that cant run spring and their combined value is around 30k USD.
Let me guess... They aren't IBM-compatible PCs running an OS that can handle Spring?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

My $5M Cray XT5 won't run spring and it's your fault!
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Oh I thought id post an update.. Its pretty much going to be impossible for me to mod spring on my new computer being that it runs Vista, which for some FUCKING STUPID reason decides that you cant actually edit or unzip files in the whole c:/programs area of the computer, meaing that I cannot have a .SDD that I could edit, I would have to keep the whole thing copied in say my documents edit there and then copy to spring every time I wanted to change something, also for unpacking and unzipping.. so unless someone knows how I can remove this "feature" of vista (INB4 dont use vista derp derp) Im too irritated to even try editing shit..
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fang, I use vista, i have my spring and other games installed elsewhere. That is all you have to do.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Spring now allows mod files to be hosted outside of program files, thus satisfying Microsoft's requirements on the subject. So you don't have to overcome this Vista annoyance.

And the problem is that you're not running as administrator. Vista has tons of new security preventing admin actions from occurring in userland. Those annoying UAC messageboxes? UAC is making sure before every single admin action. If your user account is not admin or UAC is crashing, it might stop all admin actions, such as crap in Program Files.

Seriously, not a bug, feature... but a feature that ignores over a decade of windows history.
smoth

Post by smoth »

doesn't really matter if you install spring elsewhere. Trust me.

If you are anal like I am with a second drive letter devoted to game installs... gotta protect my copy of sexybeach you know?

Otherwise you can also just point the installer to a new dir. This is why I bitched about conforming to the microsoft shit.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Preferred way: install somewhere else
Other way: regedit hkcu\software\sj\spring, add SpringData = pathtoblah
then put your mod in pathtoblah\mods
smoth

Post by smoth »

what is with all this registry bullshit? I am confused, I just put gundam in mods and move along.

Return to “Game Development”