XTA - Page 3

XTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

bashar

Re: XTA

Post by bashar »

Noruas wrote:Thats besside the point AF, Big Boss was just saying that "don't be a dick" is a bad rule, and i will have to agree with him in this case.
It's just trolling, everyone just understand what "don't be a dick" means.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

so noruas when will the next release be out? u know i/we suggest a lot of balancing things
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

No pintle. I didnt know you or af hosted it. It should be no surprise that id object, I gave fair warning that I would. Who hosted it was clearly besides the point since I made the point before anyone volunteered.

'The Don't be a dick' was clearly icing on the cake. It was exactly one of the reasons why I don't support forums with just 4-6 people and why I favored staying here until xta recovered in numbers. I mean, you accidentally tick of 3 people and thats like half the community holding a grudge on ya. There is no protection on such a forum if that scenario was to happen.

What the xta community is a little slow to realize, is that good intent is never enough. If it was, my words wouldn't be interpreted as trolling(which usually implies worthlessness), but an honest discourse that has some worth in some manner.

I have nothing to gain from these forums. My opinion is set. The time to debate together in the name of goodwill ended somewhere between the setting up of the forum without talks and me being called out as trolling. Thanks allot.

Hoi, nice pic. Made me grin.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I vaguely remember you being convinced that the opinions of others on the wg xta forums were otiose, and getting rather angry when that idea was contested...could that be related to your current sentiments?
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

Wait why was I angry that my ideas were contested? I think that'd make me very happy if everyone included stuff that wasn't besides the point, like honor, and good will, and koombaya, and no negative comments please. I mean, how do you say something is broken without implying it needs to be fixed? And how do u get the guy who made it 'broken' to not get offended. I'm not putting blame, I just want the suggestion to be looked at, considered fairly, and implemented. Not, oh that person put in so much time and effort, how can you say such a thing. >_>
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

The_Big_Boss wrote:Wait why was I angry that my ideas were contested? I think that'd make me very happy if everyone included stuff that wasn't besides the point, like honor, and good will, and koombaya, and no negative comments please. I mean, how do you say something is broken without implying it needs to be fixed? And how do u get the guy who made it 'broken' to not get offended. I'm not putting blame, I just want the suggestion to be looked at, considered fairly, and implemented. Not, oh that person put in so much time and effort, how can you say such a thing. >_>
hey ur ideas were somehow included into the (somehow shitty) subpen-stuff
btw how about xta-8.1-balancing with 9.45-effects
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

hey ur ideas were somehow included into the (somehow shitty) subpen-stuff
btw how about xta-8.1-balancing with 9.45-effects

Well Manola. I made no suggestive comments on the subpen. I was shocked and surprised as you were.

Well that'd be really nice. I wouldn't mind playing old 8.1 with 9.45 graphics every now and then.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

k, our forum is down, but we should use this chance of new input of other (non-xta-playing)-dudes. so i had a lil time to think, so that was the output, im not angry if u dont like it, but i want to start a fair discussion about it:

-balance ak, i think its immo really op, maybe m-costs +5
-let fido have high trajectory (i want that for soooooo long)
-delete mineclearer, minefields are really useless with them, only the first shock and then send this lil beasts and BOOM
-delete nanos
-delete the star-command-orbit-rocket-max-upgrade-com or make the xp-requirements higher
-add moho-metal-maker to sea-lvl2
-just idea (in a game on coast vs coast, i startet with subs): add sub-lab-1.5 (lvl2-sub-con, modified invader/roach [could move just underwater, couldnt go on land], triton/crock, lurker/snake, piranha/shark)
-let lvl2-sea-cons build a coast-turrent (maybe immo or guardian or add a new torrent as anti-ship-turrent)
-why were my lurkers attacked by units i couldnt see, while i had an additional sonar-boat with them?
-add moho-geo (double all stats of normal geo, but +3 m-output)
-give mines the possibility to "hold fire" so give micro-kings the chance to pown ;), but let them explode if a unit drives over it
-i think pelican arent use for that what they are made for: invasion, so make them better or efficienter
-make big-fusion better (maybe autocloak/(autostealth) them)
-air-labs +20metal-cost, but add radar with com-radar-range
-add an other lil underwater fusion

for later:
-make lvl1-vehicles better, non-xta-players come n play xta and nerve about that the sux compared to bots
-add lvl3, i hate the late game of xta with lil-nuke-spam and core-krog (add one to arm)
pintle

Post by pintle »

Big Boss you talk a lot of shit. You have made numerous personal attacks on me which I have ignored out of goodwill and the desire not to fracture the community any more than you or Noruas already have. But Im only human and I'm starting to take this personally.

I set up a new forum without discussion. Big deal.

Noruas took down our old forum without discussion. Now how the hell can opening an arena for public debate be a more fiendish act than closing one without any prior warning? Oh wait I'm not your brother so of course I'm the villain in this scenario.

It not like Noruas takes a blind bit of notice as to what is discussed on the forums anyway, or that he airs his ideas for new units before putting them into the game.

Troll me all you like, here, or in the lobby on your smurfs, I really don't care. Just don't drag XTA into your campaign of hatred against me.

All I want is an open development model, full public changelogs, and an end to the random unit addition without any discussion.

You want my balance discussion to take place here?

-Nerf AK: nobody plays Arm 1v1 apart from me and dojeh, and 99% of games are ak spam
-Remove nano towers or make them vaguely-almost balanced, they are *way* too build time efficient
-Remove or rebalance sub pen: my reasoning behind this is quite hard to summarise into a bullet point, but suffice to say: t1 amphibs, but only available from an u/w lab, plus these units being able to fire from u/w to hit surface units, 2 entirely unique, hard to counter things, which dont require micro or intelligence to use, just the right choice of starting lab. Why the hell can beaver not make u/w mex?
-Balance fusions
-Un nerf necro/fark
-make krog crush dt
-make com morph balanced or remove it until it is fixed

I have more gripes/issues about XTA that would be way better served by having their own thread, but that would be a retarded idea and much harder for BB to troll all of them right?
bashar

Post by bashar »

manolo_ wrote:k, our forum is down,

forum is not down, he is here : http://xta.darkstars.co.uk/forums/

manolo_ wrote:but we should use this chance of new input of other (non-xta-playing)-dudes.

heh im really waiting for such input :roll:
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

yeah, keep the xta playerbase under 10 I say! :roll:
bashar

Post by bashar »

Machiosabre wrote:yeah, keep the xta playerbase under 10 I say! :roll:
8 is better for epic 4v4 game

he was speaking about balance input, not about new player. Or maybe I did understand wrong?
Last edited by bashar on 12 Jul 2008, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

Pintle: Well I dont think your full of shit, I just think your facts and info are wrong. For example, Noraus didnt take down the forums. He said we might need to find moderators or maybe we should remove the forum. The next day, the forums were down before any work went out to find moderators. Nor was surprised it happened. Does your opinion change?

Machiosabre be careful :P
pintle

Post by pintle »

OK sorry Noruas, I obviously misunderstood what happened.

BB I stand by what I said. It is ridiculous that you announce that I would go to the trouble of setting up a forum in order to use it to force conformity amongst people.

Can we stop BAAAAAWing and get back to mod dev maybe?

edit: just spotted i wrote EO instead of BB... dont really know how i managed that.
Last edited by pintle on 14 Jul 2008, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
The_Big_Boss

Post by The_Big_Boss »

*sigh*
nova

Post by nova »

I'm new to all this, and new to XTA, I have a few questions about the project.

Who is the current development team?
What's the status of the development?
Is the XTA project attached to the Spring engine development?
Why is all the information I can find about XTA out of date?
Is XTA in competition with the other mods for the Spring engine?
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

nova wrote:I'm new to all this, and new to XTA, I have a few questions about the project.

Who is the current development team?
What's the status of the development?
Is the XTA project attached to the Spring engine development?
Why is all the information I can find about XTA out of date?
Is XTA in competition with the other mods for the Spring engine?
Hey Nova

1. There is no "team". XTA is managed by Noruas. So no team and an ugly discussion.
2. XTAs status is that its in a good shape and wont be changed much, according to Noruas.
3. Its attached to Spring development in the following manner: A new Spring version will need a new XTA version.
4. We have a new forum at: http://xta.darkstars.co.uk/forums/
5. Lastly all mods are in a competition for players. Some mods have fanbois but mostly everybody plays more than one mod. For the fun of it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Sabutai wrote:5. Lastly all mods are in a competition for players. Some mods have fanbois but mostly everybody plays more than one mod. For the fun of it.
lol no
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

smoth wrote:
Sabutai wrote:5. Lastly all mods are in a competition for players. Some mods have fanbois but mostly everybody plays more than one mod. For the fun of it.
lol no
lol yes - Its a natural, universal force.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Sabutai wrote:lol yes - Its a natural, universal force.
A tree does not compete with a fish. A clam does not compete with a buffulo. Anime doesn't compete with WWII, WWII does not compete with starwars, starwars does not compete with battletech, battletech does not compete with kp, kp doesn't compete with EE, EE doesn't compete with gundam.

not my fault you chose to XTA is doing something that like 10 other *a mods are doing. The competition is because you are all modifying the same crap.

Return to “Game Development”