Mod switcher

Mod switcher

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Mod switcher

Post by Fnordia »

I have posted a text in the wiki about a possible way to define mods for spring to be used with the built-in mod switcher that is under development. So it would be nice if mod developers could take a look and see if it needs any changes or if it should be thrown out completely. :)

The main benefit of a more complex mod definition system instead of just letting the using switch manually between a bunch of files in a mod folder is probably that it allows dependencies to be specified nicely. This will allow the selection interface to only show relevant choices. The loading order will also be deterministic.

So anyway, take a look here: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Mod_specification
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Fucking awesome. I love the potential for redirects as well :)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Err, the default should be OTA, not XTA. Image

Otherwise I'm very happy to see a mod switcher is finally coming!

And I've done some repacking, in case you need the files like OTA_Textures.hpi and such.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Oh sure, under cut me why don't you. :evil:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Dont worry napalm, your time has come and gone, now you must work your socks off to make a bigger and better switcher thats so good people will sue it instead of the SY's built in switcher.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

OH, I thought of a good suggestion! Let mods have the ability to enable/disable "features" of the engine, such as always-on-auto-radar-targetting and that ghost-buildings-stay-on-map-when-you-scout thing. Maybe other things like terrain deformation, but the first two alone would definitely be appreciated!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Onward ho!
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

What if there is some addon unit for say, XTA, which is a rediculously powerful level 2 tank, and its added on to OTA? Wouldn't that wreck the balance?
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

...That's why the modder would make it only work with XTA. Did you even read the page?
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I've read it and reread it... where does it speak of what you say?
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Read the part about Dependencies and put two and two together...

Return to “Game Development”