The Showdown

The Showdown

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoy64

The Showdown

Post by Zoy64 »

hello fellow Spring-ers, you might know me as a moron, but this view will change (hopefully).

enter my new mod, "The Showdown."

the mod is about the mods of Kernel Panic, Epic Legions (WarHammer 40k), and the Arm as they war for internet superiority.

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=920

this is the topic where you can tell me of bugs, or if you want me to add another mod, i already have a few in mind

thank you
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: The Showdown

Post by KDR_11k »

You'll get raped by Games Workshop.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i'll be ready for them
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

CA Arm or BA Arm?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

This is like every bad universe vs. universe thread physically manifested.. anyway, two questions:

1. Did you ask the creators for permission to do this?

2. Did you even remotely balance these factions towards each other?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

To answer 1) He asked me, at any rate
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

no core makes me cry ;-;
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

hello fellow Spring-ers, you might know me as a moron, but this view will change (hopefully).
Question is if it changes to the better or worse.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm sorry, but you may not use any Warhammer 40k derivative content in anything other than a total conversion. Your content is aggregate which includes it, and is thus in violation of their well-protected IP.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

well, since GMN gave me permission to use his mod, doesnt that allow me to...well...use it? and yes they are remotely balanced
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Zoy64 wrote:well, since GMN gave me permission to use his mod, doesnt that allow me to...well...use it? and yes they are remotely balanced
He doesn't own the underlying intellectual property.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

he may not, but he must have gotten permission to use said property. I've given credit to the original WH creators, so it should be fine. He got permission to use it from them, and i have gotten permission to use it from him, in which i have indirectly acquired permission from the creators. see?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

He got permission to create a TC using Warhammer IP within the Warhammer context (if that, most companies don't give permission, they just ignore you to keep the option of a C&D). He did NOT get permission to use Warhammer IP in ANY context. Also just because he got permission does not mean he can pass it on to someone else (most licenses have a "no sublicensing" clause).
theHive

Post by theHive »

Zoy64 wrote:he may not, but he must have gotten permission to use said property. I've given credit to the original WH creators, so it should be fine. He got permission to use it from them, and i have gotten permission to use it from him, in which i have indirectly acquired permission from the creators. see?
http://uk.games-workshop.com/legal/canandcant/1/
Read (especially) the section titled "MODIFICATIONS, TOTAL CONVERSIONS, AND GAMES" in the Examples.

I will quote the relevant section:
Any game or mod must be a "total conversion." In other words, you must not use our intellectual property (logos, images, names etc.) in relation to the worlds, names, logos, or images of any other company. For example, you cannot place our Space Marines in a Disney total conversion using the Unreal engine, but you could make a TC solely using Space Marines with the Unreal engine. This is, of course, assuming that you have permission to use the Unreal engine.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Ah crap, I forgot all about that.

Er, oops. Yeah, I'm withdrawing my permission for you to use Epic Legions stuff - mostly because it's not my permission to give.

Also, I don't think GW actually knows Legions actually exists...
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure you'll be fine as your game IS a total conversion and does not "mix IP".

Also, if Zoy got rid of Arm, it'd be perfectly okay to mix Space Marines with KP, as KP itself is not the intellectual property of any company and is itself 3rd party content that has nothing to do with property rights except that there are none. Since GW's clause says nothing about introducing totally new content to their content...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Zoy64 wrote:the mod is about the mods of Kernel Panic, Epic Legions (WarHammer 40k), and the Arm as they war for internet superiority.
Image This is the most fucked up idea I've heard since ... oh wait same person!

Also, if Games Workshop doesn't want mishmash, it's not just about the other IP, but also because it ruins their universe to do such silly mixing:
Same G.W. page wrote:Create, distribute, or use any material that is not consistent with the functionality, atmosphere, and parameters of the Warhammer universe as created and owned by Games Workshop

[..]

The functionality, atmosphere, and parameters of any mod or game must be consistent with the relevant IP.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

ok, i'll remove the WH 40k guys; and yes, i know this is a strange idea, but give it a chance. Now, i need a mod to replace the WH 40k. I'm up for ideas. could i use EE or SWTA?
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

zwzsg wrote:
Zoy64 wrote:the mod is about the mods of Kernel Panic, Epic Legions (WarHammer 40k), and the Arm as they war for internet superiority.
it was the best i could think up, sry
theHive

Post by theHive »

Zoy64 wrote:ok, i'll remove the WH 40k guys; and yes, i know this is a strange idea, but give it a chance. Now, i need a mod to replace the WH 40k. I'm up for ideas. could i use EE or SWTA?
I'm not sure either of those mods would appreciate being used in this, so I'm assuming if you asked you'd be told no.

Return to “Game Development”