Air metal return?

Air metal return?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Aether_0001

Air metal return?

Post by Aether_0001 »

In spring, ground units and ships make wreckages when they die, and can be reclaimed. However, air units smoke and fall to the ground when they die, but they also explode into nothing, and can severely damage any unit that might be in the area. I think this is unbalanced, as ground units generally don't make such a destructive ending, and more importantly air units cost a decent amount of metal, and the metal can not be harvested.
Aether_0001

Re: Air metal return?

Post by Aether_0001 »

Erm so can we have some form of metal return, and tone down the explosion? I guess it would be ok to leave some scraps of metal lying around the explosion site.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Aether_0001 wrote:In BA, ground units and ships make wreckages when they die, and can be reclaimed. However, air units smoke and fall to the ground when they die, but they also explode into nothing, and can severely damage any unit that might be in the area. I think this is unbalanced, as ground units generally don't make such a destructive ending, and more importantly air units cost a decent amount of metal, and the metal can not be harvested.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

Peet wrote:
Aether_0001 wrote:In BA, ground units and ships make wreckages when they die, and can be reclaimed. However, air units smoke and fall to the ground when they die, but they also explode into nothing, and can severely damage any unit that might be in the area. I think this is unbalanced, as ground units generally don't make such a destructive ending, and more importantly air units cost a decent amount of metal, and the metal can not be harvested.
oops. my bad. Isn't the air and ground wreck thing the same for all TA-based mods?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

yes but spring isn't just TA mods... :roll:

in the end this isn't a spring issue, its a mod issue, so post it in the mod's thread and/or forum for best results.
Tired

Post by Tired »

That's a silly thing to say. Spring is 110% TA mods. =)
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

It'd be pretty awesome to have giant wrecks sailing around the sky.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I think it's good the way it is, it's a plus for air attacks.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Have you seen what happens when an air unit is assigned a wreck? If such a unit dies (not goes into crashing mode, but just explodes midair), the wreck starts to slowly fall down. Fall speed is really low, the same speed at which wrecked ship remains sink. It just looks odd to see planes fall this slow... But technically it works, planes can be given corpses which can in turn be resurrected back into planes.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

yuritch wrote:Have you seen what happens when an air unit is assigned a wreck? If such a unit dies (not goes into crashing mode, but just explodes midair), the wreck starts to slowly fall down. Fall speed is really low, the same speed at which wrecked ship remains sink. It just looks odd to see planes fall this slow... But technically it works, planes can be given corpses which can in turn be resurrected back into planes.
Icky - any way to force "crashing" mode? Then you could get the wreck when it hits the ground, right?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

A plane can be set up to create a wreck after crashing. I'm not sure if triggering CRASHING in Killed() function works, never tried that. In theory it should work...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

But once killed returns the plane is deleted.
smoth

Post by smoth »

unless you do a crash animation. What is the code like to produce a corpse at location? I could use this.
manored

Post by manored »

Personally I would want my guns to keep shooting the planes till there was nothing left, cause oftently the planes crash in something importat :)
kiki

Post by kiki »

manored wrote:Personally I would want my guns to keep shooting the planes till there was nothing left, cause oftently the planes crash in something importat :)
Agreed, thats how I win speedmetal, with 500 flaks that splode up ur planes even when they have been shot down.

Lol at sinking wrecks, thats funny.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

manored wrote:Personally I would want my guns to keep shooting the planes till there was nothing left, cause oftently the planes crash in something importat :)
fireAtCrashing modrules.tdf parameter does exactly that - it can enable your units to shoot at crashing planes (or prevent that, it's up to mod maker to decide). This is new option from Spring 0.76, maybe not all modders know about it yet.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

yuritch wrote:Have you seen what happens when an air unit is assigned a wreck? If such a unit dies (not goes into crashing mode, but just explodes midair), the wreck starts to slowly fall down. Fall speed is really low, the same speed at which wrecked ship remains sink. It just looks odd to see planes fall this slow... But technically it works, planes can be given corpses which can in turn be resurrected back into planes.
uhh... that might work for HUGE airships, which might still have active engines on while plane is dead lol.

Erm and sorry about the TA thing. Can i apply this to all mods with crashing planes that fit the description?
kiki

Post by kiki »

NOES! SPRING != TA

SPRING = TA + GUNDAMROX + LUA + EE + FF + ES + KP + NotOTA + PURE + lots of otherstuff I forgot to mention like simbaes, nanoblobs, and evo
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

it would be nice if we could get aircraft corpses appearing where planes crash..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

+9001

It would also be nice if the corpses fall speed were controlable.

In evolution planes drop ammoboxes when they die, which is actually ok looking cause they are quite small, so you don't really see them, but the falling thing is rather annoying.

Return to “Game Development”