Scenarios

Scenarios

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Scenarios

Post by SinbadEV »

Ok, this could garner a very short response but I've been pretty passive in this community for a while so I've lost track of progress.

Anyways, here is my GRAND idea.

We make A scenario that teach people how to play A mod... one scenario, one map, one mod... I think we can... collectively ... handle this.

First of all I don't want to fight over which mod to use so I was thinking we start with something that will at least not add or radically change the functionality of a given unit in 3 days, for this reason I suggest XTA or BA... once we get ONE done making additional ones should be a trivial matter of changing a bunch of unit names and scripts.
[Krogoth86]

Re: Scenarios

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Imo as a very first step you should just explain the general TA gameplay. Such lessons can be applied to pretty much any TA based mod and give you a good basis...

Later on there could be mod specific "extensions" which go into detail concerning balance, unit behavior and strategies...
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

You might want to talk to the CA guys, they have a ca-tutorial
mutator started for this kind of thing (using a LuaUI / LuaRules
combination, iirc).
pktm

Post by pktm »

[quote="[Krogoth86]"]Imo as a very first step you should just explain the general TA gameplay. Such lessons can be applied to pretty much any TA based mod and give you a good basis...

Later on there could be mod specific "extensions" which go into detail concerning balance, unit behavior and strategies...[/quote]

As this would be meta-talk to users, who don't even know what you are talking about, i don't consider it a good idea.
It would be usefull for experienced players, but those usually test a game, and find some way by practising.

For noobs who have friends, a real life, someone they share thier life with, work and maybe children, we need something, that only afford tiny steps.
My proposal: get a specific mod (maybe something, that has at least an often running autohost) and do some lessons based on the mod.
- how to build up economy (remember the first misson of warcraft 2? build some economy buildings -> done!)
- how to build units
- how to attack with units
- how to teamplay
A spontaneous idea on the last point:
What about a map, that can be played with 2 AIs and 1 human. The human plays with 1 AI. If only the AIs play against each other, the one with the human ally have to lose (we have to ensure that somehow). So the player is forced to support his "ally". What about that?

HTH, pktm
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

So Here's my rough draft of a script(Work in Progress):

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7qd3dg_9124xwgtg7

--- okay, I'll finish later. any suggestions so far?
rcdraco

Post by rcdraco »

Sounds like lua can do it, sounds basic enough for newbs like me to learn from it. :D
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Globulation2 has an excellent tutorial set up, if you want to look at another FOSS multiplayer RTS with such a feature.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Okay, I've started acctually trying to learn how to script now so now i'm going to use this forum for specific questions.

How do I drop a labled Doodle-point by script?
Why can't I call gl.Text from my script?

Code: Select all

gl.LineWidth(1.0)
  gl.Text('\255\255\255\255'..'Testing', 300, 300, 24, 'oc')
gives

Code: Select all

Lua error: startscripts\SinbadEVsScriptTest.lua:25: attempt to index upvalue 'gl' (a nil value)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Another question, it looks like if I start a LUA script the default metal and energy storage is 1000,0000 (1000K)... which jumps up to 1001K when I generate my commander... since this is apparently some kind of engine bug, how do I make the storage go back to being right, the lua commands
SetTeamResource ( 0, "ms", 1000 )
Spring.SetTeamResource ( 0, "ms", 1000 )
or
self.SetTeamResource ( 0, "ms", 1000 )
don't seem to work...
pktm

Post by pktm »

SinbadEV wrote:So Here's my rough draft of a script(Work in Progress):

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7qd3dg_9124xwgtg7

--- okay, I'll finish later. any suggestions so far?
Bubble: Same goes for attacking, it looks like the enemy has sent a scout, right click on the enemy Flash Tank to attack it.
[Script generates a Flash Tank, it will move into range of the commander and start attacking him (just to be nice we'll have the game spawn a new commander if he let's the first one die), script pauses till he kills the flash spam]
Yeah, what about not sending the unit in the attack range of the commander, so that the user really has to click the attack button (or he really has to point to the unit)? Else, the com would auto-shoot, which is bad as the user don't learn how to set a unit to attack.
Later: Changing the attack mode could be illustrated while presenting the capture feature. Therefore, the user has to deactivate auto attack to not destroy the target while capturing. Here should be mantioned, that AI crashes if capturing a unit...

HTH, pktm

Return to “Game Development”