New mod - Page 5

New mod

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

clumsy_culhane

Re: New mod

Post by clumsy_culhane »

Scikar wrote:What I don't get is that having 5 movement classes is still a significant improvement over BA and CA (whether or not it's valuable is another question, since even 20+ classes does not really take all that long to path), and would avoid these problems. Keeping the movement classes as low as possible doesn't seem so bad in itself, but I don't see why you have to enforce having only one. :|
IIRC CA cut down movement classes a lot, and there are only around 8-12 now.
Scikar

Post by Scikar »

clumsy_culhane wrote:
Scikar wrote:What I don't get is that having 5 movement classes is still a significant improvement over BA and CA (whether or not it's valuable is another question, since even 20+ classes does not really take all that long to path), and would avoid these problems. Keeping the movement classes as low as possible doesn't seem so bad in itself, but I don't see why you have to enforce having only one. :|
IIRC CA cut down movement classes a lot, and there are only around 8-12 now.
There's 20, give or take a couple.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I have 4 currently. A 1x1 for infantry and 2x2's, a 4x4 for 3x3's and 5x5's, one for a hover unit and another for 15x15, standard for buildings, which don't move much, anyways.

It really doesn't take that long to path. You don't need 1 per unit or anything...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

rattle wrote:WHERE ARE THE PICS, CAYDR???
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Non-moving buildings do not need movementclass, wasn't that obvious?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Pink text is uncalled for. I'm not posting pictures probably until I have the first units ingame. When I post pictures people just tear apart what I'm doing without seeing it in action. This is on top of my other reason, that I have no idea whether what I'm currently making will actually be part of the mod by the time it's releasable, so if I posted pictures now all I'd get later is, "where's unit x, you said it was going to be in"... etc. It's happened before with AA, a lot. People get the feeling that I'm unreliable....

Finished 11 more models this last week. I have a basic framework of all the necessary units and structures now, I'll spend a while fleshing the in-between units out.

I'm also spending a lot of the time I'm working, thinking up unit concepts, etc, etc. Got a lot interesting ideas...

For instance. My plan from way back when was to merge my various mods into one implausibly-balanced supermod. The beaty was, the various sides are totally unlike each other. But what's preventing me from taking those basic race ideas and reworking them into unrelated, copyright-free original works? Instead of an Advance Wars mod, there's an advance-wars-ish race. Instead of a GEM mod, there's a GEMmish race. Instead of AA, there's a TA-like race. Good idea, right? I think it could work out. My basic designs for that Abolition thing... I know it sounds crazy but I actually struck a balance between them. Really I know it sounds impossible...

Soo... since what everyone is expecting is a TAish mod, I will start primarily working on the TAish race, then expand to other races down the line. Sound good?

Also... a name popped into my head which I think I'll use for the TA race. Epic pun. I looove those.

I don't want to be overly optimistic, but so far I'm ahead of the schedule I had planned. Things are working well... I've got a couple units animated already, thanks to the fact that I'm not bothering with fancy walk scripts.

Also I just got a raise! ^^ Getting one of those drawing tablets to help with texturing at the end of the month, I think.
Last edited by Caydr on 22 Jan 2008, 04:07, edited 3 times in total.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

/me wants a beaty :lol:

<_< >_> ....Anyone?
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

The name of the side, I hope, is something more creative than Leg, Spiral, or Bulge.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Sleska should name it, since he embodies all of the ota ideals.
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

Bigoted Spam-ism?
kiki

Post by kiki »

hmm, he never plays his precious BA, he just says "I havent played in a long time" or "I suck at playing" and then just specs.

Once again I request a sarcasm tag for my previous post.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

And still no screenshots?

Return to “Game Development”